Topic: ADI-2 DAC Subwoofer Integration

I am a happy user of ADI-2 DAC within my home audio 2-channel system. The ADI-2 DAC provides awsome features with regular software updates, and this forum offers excellent support.

My existing 2-Channel system can be summarised as:
Mac mini with Roon Core -> DSP Convolution Filters -> ADI-2 DAC -> Hypex NC252MP Power Amp -> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers (passive).

I am considering the use of dual subwoofers. Currently, I am using the ADI-2 DAC balanced outputs to connect to my Hypex NC252MP Power Amp. Are there any issues with connecting the ADI-2 DAC unbalanced outputs to the Line-In of dual subwoofers?

Once the physical connections are made, the next challenge will be to measure each speaker and subwoofer with REW. I believe I can achieve this with a manual process of cable disconnection/connection. Are there any issues with this type of procedure?

After making measurements with REW, I would then need to integrate each subwoofer using the subwoofer controls, including :

• Level Control / Gain

• Crossover (Low Pass)

• Delay/Phase and Polarity

• Base Extension Filter (High Pass)

• Parametric EQ

Another option would be to utilise a product such as miniDSP 2x4 HD that enables many of the above controls to be performed within software. However, the miniDSP 2x4 HD will introduce more hardware as well as ADC / DAC conversions.

Alternatively, RME has many Pro Audio hardware and software solutions. Does anyone have a suggestion for an RME solution that would replicate the features of ADI-2 DAC with the miniDSP 2x4 HD? Perhaps an RME Fireface UC and TotalMix FX?

Re: ADI-2 DAC Subwoofer Integration

This is, of course, an excellent system without any obvious weaknesses. I normally use Harbeth P3ESRs in my desktop system, but I have also experimented with them in my main system (ADI-2, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805s and B&W PV1d sub). I was very pleased with the result, and integration with the subwoofer was easy and sounded remarkable. To tame room modes generated by the subwoofer I use an Antimode 8033, and that is the easiest solution as it does the equalization automatically. The limitation if, of course, that it only equalizes the sub. With my main system REW measurements showed that room modes generated by the main speakers bleed into the frequency range that is also covered by the sub, and that is, of course, not equalized by the Antimode 8033. To deal with this I use some filters from the ADI-2.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

3 (edited by Curt962 2020-01-12 14:07:30)

Hi Harbord,

Dual Subwoofers are a Grand Idea on a variety of levels.  Can you tell us which Subs they might be?  That would allow us to gain some insights regarding connectivity options.  Many modern Subs offer a "Break Out" that allows a single input to the Sub to be utilized by the Sub, and also distributed to your Main Speaker Amp(s)

Using both XLR and RCA connections could be done, with the condition that you are aware that the XLR connection has 6db higher signal level. 
This is explained in your ADI-2 DAC Users Manual. 

Peruse this neighboring thread:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29041

We've done this before!  smile

Great Fun Mate. 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

For two subs it is easiest to use the Antimode Stereo as this has left and right inputs. Outputs will be mono, but many would argue that this is preferable. Using an Antimode 8033 Cinema (i.e the mono input version) requires a special cable.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

Willem,

I have an idea!  Let's allow our new friend Harbord to share some information with us before we begin making costly suggestions. smile

You know my methodology, which rarely involves electronic complexity, and exorbitant costs.   One Step at a time yes? smile

Regards,

Curt

Sure, although I don't think an Antimode 8033 is particularly expensive in relation to two subwoofers. There are far more expensive options

I have a bit similar system to yours:

Mac Mini > Roon > ADI-2 DAC > XLRs > Hypex nCore NC400 monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers

I later added a single ATC C1 active subwoofer using the unbalanced line-outs of the ADI-2 DAC. Volume matching isn't an issue as the C1 has volume control inbuilt.

I haven't done any room correction or subwoofer integration yet, although previously I had used Dirac Live on the Mac to good effect. But a bit disappointed with the extremely slow rollout of Dirac Live 2.0 as well as the lack of roon integration. I keep meaning to give REW a try but find it very user unfriendly.

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

8 (edited by Curt962 2020-01-19 01:39:01)

Occamsrazor,

REW Is a Superb Tool for detailed Room Analysis.    With a bit of expert insight, you can easily put it to work for you.   Here's a fabulous, Step-by-Step Tutorial produced by GIK Acoustics.    Every Keystroke is explained.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e4uSR3cUUSY

Invest 10minutes of your time into viewing.  Good Stuff!

Curt