Topic: unable to open audio record device

having some issues with my ucx fireface; SONAR x3 , upon hitting play is prompting with the message 'unable to open audion record device; device may not support the current project's audio  format or may be in use, followed by the 'FIREFACE UCX  was disconnected from your system'. additionally, this occurred with a full audio session with live instruments but lately this has been showing in projects that contain midi data only. have tried a multitude different sessions, so i'm not certain which will or won't work at this point; some have (audio, not midi) have worked fine;  i've posted this on the cakewalk users forum but looking for as much expert opinion as possible.

thanks
musicale ltd

Re: unable to open audio record device

All important information missing...

- Does the red host light come up that moment?

- Does any other audio software work?

I would guess that the power supply of the UCX is defective, making the unit break down as soon as it gets used. Of course could only be a loose USB cable as well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your help; to answer your questions

- Does the red host light come up that moment?    no

- Does any other audio software work? yes; including many sessions already recorded in SONAR X3; i also have reason 10.2, that seems to be working fine. initially i discovered the problem with a file that was all audio files; however, of late this phenonmenon has shown itself in sessions that  are only midi data

I would guess that the power supply of the UCX is defective, making the unit break down as soon as it gets used. Of course could only be a loose USB cable as well...

that shouldn't be so, i just bought the UCX 6 months ago or so; i'm also using firewire 400 cable.

thanks; any other insight is welcomed

Is the unit really disconnected? Check with TotalMix FX if it is still there. If so the message is wrong or misleading. Not being able to open record devices could mean you have the wrong sample rate on an SPDIF input, or another program is blocking a sample rate change. Open the RME Settings dialog to get more infos about the current state.

Also check that the power supply is really used. Setting the switch on the back  to Off FireWire bus power is used and could be insufficient.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME