Topic: Please help installing Thunderbolt driver UFX+

I just got a UFX+ and have connected it to my Asus X299 Deluxe II MB via USB 3. It works fine, but I want to connect via Thunderbolt.

The ASUS X299 Deluxe II has native TB3 support via USB-C ports, unlike other ASUS boards that require an adapter. I have connected the UFX+ to one of the X299 Deluxe II's USB-C/TB ports using a Startech TB2 to TB3 adapter. I'm using a Corning optical TB cable with TB2 jacks.

Win 10 Device Manager doesn't see the UFX+. And when I try to install the TB driver (v. 1.16), I get the message that the "Installation Failed".

In the X299 BIOS, I enabled "Thunderbolt USB support", but that did not help. In that configuration, Device Manager couldn't see the USB3 connection to the UFX+ either, as you might expect if that option "changes" the USB-C port from USB3 to TB3.

I contacted ASUS, and they said it ought to work without changing anything in the BIOS, and not to change the "Thunderbolt USB Support" option. I disabled it, but the TB driver installation still failed. (I'm not sure the ASUS guy knew what he was talking about.)

Can anyone helo? Thanks in advance.

Re: Please help installing Thunderbolt driver UFX+

You need to have the latest firmware and drivers for those Thunderbolt ports. Then when connecting the UFX+ you need to allow the unit. Per default Thunderbolt blocks all devices for security reasons. If you missed the request open the Intel Thunderbolt software tool and check allowed devices in there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by vanceen 2020-01-17 18:08:13)

Thanks.

The difficulty I have is that ASUS doesn't list any drivers or firmware on their site for Thunderbolt, even for the X299 Deluxe II. Nor is there any software listed.

I turned off the Security feature in the Thunderbolt section of the BIOS. So I don't have any Thunderbolt software installed, and never got a request to allow the unit

I'll try the Intel drivers, firmware and software for Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt.

Has anybody at all used an RME Thunderbolt device with an ASUS X299 Deluxe-II motherboard?

You alreeady contacted Asus. Please do again and let them explain where the TB software, drivers etc for your board is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've just received a reply from ASUS to my detailed inquiry. They are assuming that I am using a ThunderboltEX 3 add-in board, which isn't even compatible with the MB I have. I got detailed instruction on how to install it in a board I don't have, taken straight from a web page I've already seen.

I don't have much confidence in ASUS's technical support after chatting with three of them and now getting this message.

I hope it's OK that I post this in hopes that someone else has solved this problem.

If you compare RTL as reported by the ASIO drivers, then there is not much difference between USB3 and Thunderbolt:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

I am able to connect two UFX+ to my mainboard and am very flexible with the placement of the devices, because cables can be up to 5m long (possible with good shielded Lindy cables). Additionally its less expensive.

IMHO .. simply stay with USB3 if TB makes it more difficult to come quickly to results.

If you are concerned about CPU usage or impact of other USB peripherals etc .. get a dedicated USB3 card, i.e. with recommended FL1100 chip and using drivers with MSI (message signalled interrupts) which work more efficient compared to pure interrupt driven drivers: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks, Ramses.

The UFX+ performance with USB3 is, admittedly, everything I'll ever need and probably more. I rarely track more than 15 or so channels at a time.

I just don't like the idea of not having the option to use TB with a motherboard and interface that are supposed to be able to provide TB.

I solved the problem.

A lot of weird things started happening, e.g. the Intel Management Engine update failed to install, some other things refused to update. Then the UFX+ stopped working on USB3.

So, I did a fresh install of Windows 10. Now I'm running the UFX+ on Thunderbolt.

It appears that this was a matter of corruption of my registry or some other configuration problem in Windows. It would have been hard for anyone to guess. I hope reading this helps someone in the future.