Topic: 12mic specs

The preliminary press releases put the SNR >121dB(A) which is impressive.  Does the 12mic effectively replace the Micstasy as RME's premium multi-channel preamp?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

2

Re: 12mic specs

Not at all. These are two very different units, differently attractive to customers and applications.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: 12mic specs

I understand that the new devices that you announced at NAMM are not TotalMix FX compatible

4 (edited by ramses 2020-01-19 17:25:01)

Re: 12mic specs

sgiacovelli wrote:

I understand that the new devices that you announced at NAMM are not TotalMix FX compatible

I don't get your point.

AVB Tool is a recording interface and by this will surely have TM FX support.
Otherwise routing of channels would be impossible, makes no sense, doesn't it ?

M-1610 and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE are AD/DA converter, 12 MIC is a preamp.
Since when do converter and preamps have TM FX support ?

Such external add-on devices get connected to a recording interface by ADAT, MADI, AVB
and then the recording interface performs routing of channels and finally exchanges audio
streams with the PC/DAW and vice versa.

For me everything fits fine into this picture and I do not see where you have an issue.

Whats perhaps new, that Apple has native AVB support which makes it possible to connect
AVB capable HW, so to say Preamps and ADDA converter directly to an Apple device via network.

Similar to Class Compliant devices, that can directly be used by Windows, Linux, MacOS X, iPAD.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB

Re: 12mic specs

ramses wrote:

AVB Tool is a recording interface and by this will surely have TM FX support.
Otherwise routing of channels would be impossible, makes no sense, doesn't it ?

Yes, but if you have read AVB Tool specs there's no TM FX support, or at list it's still not on the webpage I have read (https://www.rme-audio.de/avb-tool.html)

S.

Re: 12mic specs

sgiacovelli wrote:
ramses wrote:

AVB Tool is a recording interface and by this will surely have TM FX support.
Otherwise routing of channels would be impossible, makes no sense, doesn't it ?

Yes, but if you have read AVB Tool specs there's no TM FX support, or at list it's still not on the webpage I have read (https://www.rme-audio.de/avb-tool.html)

S.

Ah this you mean .. yes, some of the product icons seem to be missing
- TM FX
- ARC USB

If TM FX would be missing, then no ARC USB support, but I have doubts that this is the intention wink

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB

7

Re: 12mic specs

ramses wrote:
sgiacovelli wrote:

I understand that the new devices that you announced at NAMM are not TotalMix FX compatible

AVB Tool is a recording interface and by this will surely have TM FX support.
Otherwise routing of channels would be impossible, makes no sense, doesn't it ?

The AVB tool - as the other two - is a network interface. They are not the typical RME recording interfaces, and thus don't have TotalMix FX. Their routing is a patchbay-style version without mixing capability.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by ramses 2020-01-19 19:50:06)

Re: 12mic specs

Thanks for clarifying wink

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB

Re: 12mic specs

Will the 12mic be able to act as a USB audio interface, like the Octamic XTC?

Re: 12mic specs

The USB port allows remote control and firmware updates without the need to connect it to a network.
This, for example, makes it easy to use it as an extension for a Fireface, using ADAT for audio transport and USB for setup. Audio over USB is not supported.

Best
Marc