Topic: Fireface UC vs. BabyFace Pro FS

I want to upgrade from my original babyface, for a live rig with a new mac mini, using MainStage. I need multiple outputs (5), but I can hack them together with the Babyface by using a combination of spdif out and headphone out (for click). It's clunky, but other than that I love the Babyface. (I know I can also use adat for multiple outputs but I'm trying to scale down as much as possible, size and weight wise).

However my other alternative is a used Fireface UC. Which obviously has all the outputs right there. And I kind of like the half rack form factor as well for live. But I guess the main question I'm wrestling with is would it be better to have much newer technology (solid and reliable is the most important thing), or the convenience of multiple outputs.

Appreciate any comments, thanks.

Re: Fireface UC vs. BabyFace Pro FS

Both use the same driver and basic USB technology. The UC lacks onboard effects.... If the convenience of the outputs counts for you, go for the UC. Alternatively, the UCX (with effects).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel, really appreciate your input on this, thank you.

One follow up, that I can't determine from the manual: If the Fireface UC loses contact with the computer, will it continue to function in stand alone mode? Specifically, If I have a keyboard being fed into inputs, and being routed to the outputs, and the computer malfunctioned such that the interface lost it's connection, would that keyboard signal continue to be passed through to those outputs?

Unless the crash causes a reconfiguration it will keep its settings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME