Topic: TotalMix FX plugin counterparts?

Hello again friends,

I know this may sound like a nonsense, so I'll try to explain thoroughly,

TotalMix FX software is just a control for internal DSP of RME cards, it can be used for live situations, and it is possible to tick EQ+Dynamics for record, so the adjustments in TotalMix FX can be printed into tracks while recording in a DAW,

what if it's desired to use TotalMix FX for monitoring purposes during recording, this way tracks are recorded in DAW without any TotalMix processing, but for some reason the performing artist or guest engineer is so happy with (some) adjustments they would like to have them applied in the DAW later when mixing?

this leads me to a question if there are any plugins which would match TotalMix FX processing features?
I don't expect any direct answers for third-party software products, but rather some insight on workflow options for situation described above

thanks in advance for feedback smile

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Re: TotalMix FX plugin counterparts?

The stock eq and compressor plugins of any daw will do the same job. I would also think you can use the loopback function to record the dsp fx but I have a fx-less card so can't try.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652+ADI-8AE  2X HDSP9632
Cubase pro10

3 (edited by ramses 2020-01-30 20:31:55)

> what if it's desired to use TotalMix FX for monitoring purposes during recording, this way tracks
> are recorded in DAW without any TotalMix processing, but for some reason the performing artist
> or guest engineer is so happy with (some) adjustments they would like to have them applied
> in the DAW later when mixing?
> this leads me to a question if there are any plugins which would match TotalMix FX processing features?

Do I understand your request correctly in a few words: "you want RME effects as VST plugin for your DAW?"

The usual case is to record tracks raw without any effects, to be able to have more freedom later in the mixing phase
to correct wave files or try different sorts of effects.

There is such a wide range of reverb plugins for DAWs on the market already (transparent reverby, colorizing effetc, etc), that it is not necessary to sell RME effects as VST plugins.

On the PC you usually have much more CPU power available (especially now with AMD Ryzen), so that you can run even more complex reverbs on your DAW without problems.

Your request makes no sense to me or I misunderstood something.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB

@ramses

I would like parameters of RME FX portable into some software plugin inside a DAW, so I can "copy" TotalMix presets/settings into/onto an already-recorded tracks

"There is such a wide range of reverb plugins for DAWs on the market already (transparent reverby, colorizing effetc, etc), that it is not necessary to sell RME effects as VST plugins."
indeed indeed, but my point is, if there is some let's say "generic" Reverb, EQ, Dynamics -plugins, where I could simply copy the parameters and get same/similar results?

@vinark I am not that much familiar with EQ+Dyn parameters, so what you say it should be possible to grab any generic EQ, and copy/paste gain+freq+Q values from TotalMix channel strip into the EQ plugin and get same results?
I always thought plugin devs are using slightly different algorithms, just the differences between linear phase, natural phase, and zero latency EQs are big already..

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Yes digital eq's are pretty much the same. Only if they model analog saturation will they differ and basic ones don't.
Compressors could be the same, but use a very basic one then.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
HDSP9652+ADI-8AE  2X HDSP9632
Cubase pro10

tzzsmk wrote:

what if it's desired to use TotalMix FX for monitoring purposes during recording, this way tracks are recorded in DAW without any TotalMix processing, but for some reason the performing artist or guest engineer is so happy with (some) adjustments they would like to have them applied in the DAW later when mixing?

Hello!

You could, also, make use of internal Loopback fuction of TM, if you have available Outputs.
Just send the raw track(or tracks) to an output, apply the effects you want from TM, on that output, activate Loopback, and print that inside your DAW !

It's kind of a workaround, but you 'll get the exact same results in your project.