Topic: Software output bleeding into recorded audio

I'm using the original blue Babyface, and in everything I record I can hear bleed of the software outputs that were playing at the time, even without any cables plugged in.

If I lower the main out gain the bleed decreases.

Also happens for all inputs of a Behringer ADA8200 connected via optical.

Does this happen for anyone else?

Re: Software output bleeding into recorded audio

It sounds like you use microphones with the main monitors playing in the same space. It should be clear that this will be a problem for picking up background noise. You should only use headphone monitoring in a scenario like this.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

This is happening when recording synths line in, and also without any cables plugged in at all.

Could it be possible that there is internal bleed when the master gain is high?

Please reset your TotalMix FX app (Options > Reset Mix > Total Reset).

You might be getting into trouble by using the "loopback" function in TotalMix. If you still have trouble, there must be something else going on that we are not aware of yet.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Please reset your TotalMix FX app (Options > Reset Mix > Total Reset).

You might be getting into trouble by using the "loopback" function in TotalMix. If you still have trouble, there must be something else going on that we are not aware of yet.

Hi Jeff, thanks for taking the time to help out.

I did a total reset of the app, and also made sure loopback wasn't enable on any channel.

I played back a drum loop in Ableton then recorded input 1 and 2 without any cables plugged into any input on the Babyface.

Software playback is set to odb, and main out is set to -10db.

There is still a bleed from the output in both recorded channels, at around -60db.

As an aside I've had the Babyface for around 10 years, and 5 years ago it had a logic board replacement, not sure if that could be a cause?

https://i.imgur.com/4Jab4Gx.png

If this screenshot is showing TotalMix while nothing is connected to the analog inputs, it does seem like there is something wrong. The noise floor is higher than I would expect to see at -85 dB, usually this should be closer to -100 dB.

I am referring to the fluctuating numbers on the AN 1/2 channels in the top row under the Mute/Solo buttons

This could be a problem in the breakout cable rather than internal, do the numbers look different with that cable disconnected? Are the nuts screwed all the way down on the Babyface multipin connector?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ah yes you're right!

I removed the breakout and now there is zero bleed, with the noise floor sitting at -98.8db.

I then plugged the breakout back in but without the XLR to jack cables I'm using and it's still the same, -98.8db.

As a final check I plugged in one XLR to jack cable and recorded, sure enough I get bleed in that channel but not the other.

Seems the unbalanced jack to XLR cables I'm using are creating some sort of ground loop I guess?

Thanks very much for helping track down the issue! smile