Topic: Raspberry Pi 4 with Babyface . Yes really!

I have been experimenting with the latest RPi running Ubuntu 64 bit. The good news is that I had to do very little to get it to recognise the the babyface inputs and outputs and it was quite happy to power it from a USB 3 socket. It just needed
>sudo alsa force-reload
and it worked.
Playback quality is of course far better than the RPi headphone socket and CPU load was quite reasonable. I can play 192KHz wav files with no resampling using VLC player and streaming from Minimserver DLNA ( running on an RPi 3 !). Almost too good to be true.

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with Babyface . Yes really!

Wo! sweet! Hi I am new to raspberry pi, trying to get my machine to run better and i just so happen to have a couple of RME interfaces. Where do I go to add the coding? I am currently experimenting with Laaka.

3 (edited by roadster 2020-03-28 09:45:42)

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with Babyface . Yes really!

roygbiv wrote:

Wo! sweet! Hi I am new to raspberry pi, trying to get my machine to run better and i just so happen to have a couple of RME interfaces. Where do I go to add the coding? I am currently experimenting with Laaka.

I'm no linux expert but I have now switched to Gentoo 64 bit which also supports RME devices in class compliant mode and works well without needing any additional software or drivers. I am not particularly happy with music player interfaces and the only one that supports both internet radio, upnp/DLNA servers, and playlists is Videolan VLC ( others may work on 32 bits systems but upnp plugins don't seem to be available for 64 bit  arm64 architecture). One thing which has improved the performance of the Pi4 is using an external drive via the USB3 sockets to hold the operating system. At present the Pi must still be booted from an SD card and this makes set up on an external SSD quite tricky. But soon there should be new firmware to allow booting via USB which will make the SD card redundant.