Topic: Adding a Stereo Bus Compressor to the RME Babyface Pro, options?

Hi,

I just bought Chameleon labs 7720 Stereo Bus Compressor, and I would like to use it on the Stereo Bus of my mixes. 

I was thinking of ways to make this happen with the limitation of the Babyface Pro i/o.

1. Headphone Out - 7720 > line in of Babyface Pro
Probably the cheapest and easiest way, but wander if this would sound the same, as the headphone out has an amp built in, does it not?

2. Adat Out - Berhinger ADA8000 - 7720 > line in Babyface Pro.
Probably the most expensive, since I would have to buy the berhinger, optical cables, but it's probably the cleanest and most neutral way right?

3. Splitters to split the signal of the main outs - monitors / 7720 > line in.
Probably the worst way right? Do splitters degrade signal? Im guessing a little degradation at the least.

4. Using another interface and making a Aggregated Device in macos, using the outputs of the Steinberg UR22mkII to send out to the 7720, back into the Babyface Pro line ins. Could be another way right?

Re: Adding a Stereo Bus Compressor to the RME Babyface Pro, options?

Hello!

1. Yes, it does have an amp built-in. Also, the connections will become unbalanced, so some interference will be added to the signal(noise).

2. Best way, as you allready know!

3. I haven't used any splitters, but I think there must be some "active" circuitry involved, which will lead to coloration. Not sure about that, but it doesn't look optimal to me. Even "passive" splitters, would degrade the signal, I think.

4. Yes, this could work! I don't know how much latency will be introduced, but if your DAW can accuratelly measure it, and compensate for it, you won't have to worry. You 're gonna have to try this one, yourself!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by ramses 2020-02-11 18:51:12)

Sell BBF Pro, get UC or UCX, then you have enough analog ins and outs in one unit.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

1. Yes, it does have an amp built-in. Also, the connections will become unbalanced, so some interference will be added to the signal(noise).

When you say the connection will become unbalanced, can you please explain?  Do you mean the headphone outs are unbalanced outs?  So I will need to use unbalanced cables going into the bus compressor?  What sort of interference will be added to the signal?  Doesn't seem like a very good option if this is the case sad

If you want to connect external HW then its best to take a recording interface, which has the required amount of analog lines built-in like i.e. UC, UCX, 802, UFX II.

As an alternative you could also expand the BBF Pro with an AD/DA converter. If you get one from RME, then the costs are relatively high, then it would be better to invest into a recording interface which has some analog ports. Along with that you also get more features up to full implementation of FX chip, autoset, DURec, etc.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You can absolutely use the headphones out for this. They are designed as a second line out. Yes they are unbalanced but that is no issue at line levels at all.
It is a cheap and easy try. The behringer will absolutely sounds worse, then any output of the BF. It is fine if you need more then then 4 in/out at decent quality (but get the ADA8200 then)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

You can absolutely use the headphones out for this. They are designed as a second line out. Yes they are unbalanced but that is no issue at line levels at all.
It is a cheap and easy try. The behringer will absolutely sounds worse, then any output of the BF. It is fine if you need more then then 4 in/out at decent quality (but get the ADA8200 then)

Excellent!  So how is this...

Headphone out > Chameleon Labs 7720

Chameleon Labs > 1/4" Instrument/Line Ins

AudioAlchemy wrote:
vinark wrote:

Yezz
Easiest cable for BF to Chameleon is an insert cable. One side TRS other side 2 TR
https://hosatech.com/products/analog-au … s/stp-200/

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:
AudioAlchemy wrote:
vinark wrote:

Yezz
Easiest cable for BF to Chameleon is an insert cable. One side TRS other side 2 TR
https://hosatech.com/products/analog-au … s/stp-200/

The instrument/line in on the side of the babyface pro are unbalanced...

The outputs of the chameleon labs 7720 are balanced...do i get unbalanced or balanced cables for that?

Unbalanced then.

Vincent, Amsterdam

So XLR - TS cables, gotcha thank you.

But you are aware of that you will have to swap cables for using phones and that you can't use phones when this external device is in use (assuming that HW compressor and Phones will definitively require different levels).

13 (edited by AudioAlchemy 2020-02-13 01:27:27)

I don't use headphones much anyway...only to check once in a while, to see what things sound like.  This is only for stereo bus compressor...im only using this thing during the end of my mix.  It's not like going to be in 24/7.  I just need a way to plug it in, use it, at the finalizing stages of gluing my mix.  I don't do live drums, live bass, live guitar, or many vocals.  99% soft synth vst and samples.  I won't be adding this to the drum bus or vocal bus, or any other bus but the master bus at the final stages.