1 (edited by glances 2020-02-16 03:39:30)

Topic: RME Fireface UFX II with USB Hub

Hey all! I recently picked up a UFX II. I have a powered USB 3.0 hub that I've used for other interfaces that has functioned fine (it's easy for me to swap between my two computers with it), but with the UFX when I record my microphone sounds very bitcrushed/robotic/distorted. Plugging in directly to the computer works fine, and I've also tested removing all other attached devices from the hub (only a mouse, keyboard, and camera), which resulted in the audio recording quality going back to normal.

I tested this with 4 USB hubs I have (all USB 3.0 hubs), and they all had the same issue. I was wondering if there were a specific type of hub that would work with this interface? I also picked up a USB 2.0 hub that supports MTT (this one: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z … &psc=1) and experienced the same issue as above. After reading through a bunch of topics it seems like people have been getting this interface to work through a hub without issue, so I'm at a loss as to why I can't.

Re: RME Fireface UFX II with USB Hub

- USB 2 is independent from USB 3, but runs in the same cable (on separated wires)

- Using USB 3 hubs therefore is exactly the same as using an USB 2 hub instead. You gain nothing with a UFX II which uses USB 2

- Mouse, keyboard and camera eat valuable USB 2 resources that are needed for the UFX II, or lower data throughput

- your other interfaces that worked before did either not have that many channels (lower bandwidth requirement), or used USB 3

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by glances 2020-02-16 10:14:22)

MC wrote:

- USB 2 is independent from USB 3, but runs in the same cable (on separated wires)

- Using USB 3 hubs therefore is exactly the same as using an USB 2 hub instead. You gain nothing with a UFX II which uses USB 2

- Mouse, keyboard and camera eat valuable USB 2 resources that are needed for the UFX II, or lower data throughput

- your other interfaces that worked before did either not have that many channels (lower bandwidth requirement), or used USB 3

On your first two points, totally understood. I only picked up a USB2 hub because of the MTT support, which I've read could help in these situations. I guess I'm just confused because I've read on this forum that people have had success with hubs, but that doesn't mean they necessarily have the same type other inputs in their hub. Thank you for your response!

MC wrote:

What about the UCX II?

Fireface UCX II, BabyFace Pro, Fireface UFX, Fireface 400