Topic: Adi2 dac new MRC and EQ

With the new MRC, can you program it so that you can “ walk through “ different stored EQ settings?

Re: Adi2 dac new MRC and EQ

Not directly, sorry. This feature requires the use of Setups, and will stay this way for various reasons.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by m1k3 2020-02-13 19:28:23)

@rienm I find using Setups to compare a few EQ’s, back-and-forth quickly, to be very easy with the help of a Harmony remote and different colors for the analyzer.

I’m using 3 of the 9 Setups to store different PEQ curves when I’m testing a new headphone setup. I have those Setups programmed to buttons on the Harmony remote. Just make sure to save each setup with the same exact settings (to include Volume) but with different PEQ settings. I like to assign a different color to the analyzer so I know visually what Setup I’m on (I wish there were 9 colors!). When going from one Setup to another using a remote, the button has to be pressed twice; but it’s fast, and seamless, and never results in a glitch in the sound.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike,

Excellent Point regarding the importance of ensuring each Set-Up has identical values such as Vol, Tone, Loudness, etc, stored within.  As stated in the Manual, The RME stores the ENTIRE STATE of the Unit, and they aren't Joking. smile

Thanks for making sure that bit of information was shared with the OP.

Best,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I am 68 years old.. I use the Adi Dac as amplifier for my Mr Speakers Aeon Closed.I’ve got a hearing loss R ear above 10kHz, L ear from 4kHz -25-30dB...... I try to correct this unbalance above 4 kHz with the EQ, using pink noise.
I found out that this hearing loss is not consistent, so I use 2-3 different EQ settings to correct. That is the reason for my question.
So, a Logitech harmony could be useful. Got to find out how to setup.
Thanks, Rien

m1k3 wrote:

@rienm I find using Setups to compare a few EQ’s, back-and-forth quickly, to be very easy with the help of a Harmony remote and different colors for the analyzer.

I’m using 3 of the 9 Setups to store different PEQ curves when I’m testing a new headphone setup. I have those Setups programmed to buttons on the Harmony remote. Just make sure to save each setup with the same exact settings (to include Volume) but with different PEQ settings. I like to assign a different color to the analyzer so I know visually what Setup I’m on (I wish there were 9 colors!). When going from one Setup to another using a remote, the button has to be pressed twice; but it’s fast, and seamless, and never results in a glitch in the sound.

Cheers,
Mike

> I found out that this hearing loss is not consistent

Hearing loss often comes in two flavours: a higher threshold for starting to hear low level sound of certain frequency areas, and an overall lower sensitivity in certain areas. That means the hearing loss, which might better be called sound loss, is often volume dependent. If you have that and listen to music quite loud everything opens up - treble, clearness, separation...

Of course this is not a cure, as higher volumes cover details and quickly tire the ears (and brain).

IMHO it should be possible to find one EQ setting that helps to get the good sound back, but it is important to have the right volume when fiddling out this EQ setting, and also important to use the same volume later when hearing different music material.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> I found out that this hearing loss is not consistent

Hearing loss often comes in two flavours: a higher threshold for starting to hear low level sound of certain frequency areas, and an overall lower sensitivity in certain areas. That means the hearing loss, which might better be called sound loss, is often volume dependent. If you have that and listen to music quite loud everything opens up - treble, clearness, separation...

Of course this is not a cure, as higher volumes cover details and quickly tire the ears (and brain).

IMHO it should be possible to find one EQ setting that helps to get the good sound back, but it is important to have the right volume when fiddling out this EQ setting, and also important to use the same volume later when hearing different music material.

Thanks Matthias,

I am aware of both types of hearing loss. Other circumstances play a role too; f.i disfunction of the Eustachian tube; next to this my tinnitus fluctuates too ( just in my left ear). I am very glad with my Adi2 Dac, the PEQ made possible to correct the soundstage for a great deal. I just have periods with bigger and lesser hearing loss in the higher frequencies left ear, disturbing the balance in the soundstage. So, different EQ settings stored.

Good to see that you know your issues well! My post was meant to add some information for other readers that start to have such issues, or have them and don't get a grip on them. Their doctor will not tell them basic information about sound impression like I tried to explain.

While I personally don't have unusual hearing problems (maybe if you ask my wife...) I was very happy to see that we are the first company that highlighted the extended (although simple) capabilities of EQ and Balance to help people that do have issues. And we do get a lot of rewarding, positive feedback from happy users on this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Curt962 2020-02-16 17:56:09)

MC, do allow me to add another Accolade for such features as Balance, and Dual  EQ. Both consider not only variances in Recordings,  but also the Human Factor.

An Audiologist recently explained to me that Humans not only have a "Dominant" Hand, or Eye...we also can have a Dominant Ear!    One Ear that simply rules.

That Considered, these features weighed heavily in my decision to purchase RME, along with it's USER inspired feature set.

Very Pleased since Day One.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes