Topic: UFX+ 15m cable possible?

Hi!

I just bought a brand new UFX+ device and tried to use it with a Lindy 10m USB cable:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07B95 … &psc=1

The host LED lights up on the device, but Windows 10 does not recognize the UFX+.  If I use the USB cable that comes shipped with the device, everything works.

Can someone recommend a 15m USB cable that works with the UFX+ ? Or is this not possible at all?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Re: UFX+ 15m cable possible?

First that link is for a 10 meter cable (?), second such cables don't work. With USB 2 yes, with USB 3 no chance.

At 15 meters I know of only one solution, the optical USB 3 cable from Corning. Expensive, but works.

https://www.amazon.de/Corning-USB-3-0-K … 00M2FYSYA/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5m works reliably with a Lindy Premium cable.
LINDY 36664 5m USB 3.0 Typ A an B Kabel, Cromo Line Anthrazit
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07F6WHVLH?ref … E_DDE_dt_1

Maybe you can organize the location of devices differently, i.e. bringing PC and UFX+ closer to your desk ?
ADAT TOSLINK cables work usually fine up to 15m up to 192 kHz, maybe even 20m.
MADI can be up to 2km between each of the devices, OM3/4 patch cables are available up to ~30m.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your answers! I will give the optical cable a try.

5 (edited by hselters 2020-02-21 18:21:30)

matt0815 wrote:

Thanks for your answers! I will give the optical cable a try.

If you are not using MADI then I would recommend setting the UFX+ to USB 2.0 mode, this is working fine here with a chain of several cables and a USB switcher in between. Total cable length is about 7m, the last cable is a cheap 5m USB 2.0 extension with a passive repeater. Maybe even longer runs are possible using active USB 2.0 Hubs.

I am also using an optical thunderbolt cable from Corning. The plug sits a little loose in the thunderbolt port and is very sensitive against any mechanic movement. It works fine for me in the studio, but I would not use it on stage.
With the good old FireWire it was much easier running 15m long cables.

After some ups and downs, I am back to report about my experience. Maybe it helps someone else...

I went for the expensive, optical USB cable but still had problems (mostly errors in the settings) in the USB 3 mode. After I manually but the UFX+ in USB 2 mode, everything works fine now. I know i can't use the full potential of the interface, but currently it's enough channels for me.

Thanks to all the help.

7 (edited by hselters 2020-03-09 16:18:39)

Oh, with USB 2 the optical cable is probably over the top, as it might be doable with a cheap standard repeater cable, see my comment above. A shame it does not work with USB 3.
For using all channels of the UFX+ the only other option to try would be trying thunderbolt then with the optical cable.

hselters wrote:

Oh, with USB 2 the optical cable is probably over the top, as it might be doable with a cheap standard repeater cable, see my comment above. A shame it does not work with USB 3.
For using all channels of the UFX+ the only other option to try would be trying thunderbolt then with the optical cable.

I tried the USB 2 mode with a cheaper cable - I had lot's errors showing up in the settings dialog. This solution works for now and some day in the future, I will bring my UFX+ closer to my computer and put a multicore into my studio....

I'm actually using my Fireface UCX with a 32 foot USB cable. It works perfectly in every aspect: recording and playback. Here's how it's connected:

Fireface > default USB cable that came with it > USB 3.0 powered hub w/ 6ft cable > 32 foot USB 3 cable > computer

This is the link to the 32 foot USB 3.0 cable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076C6PDNH