Topic: ADI-2 FS Pro direct to active HiFi speakers

Hi,

I have an ADI-2 FS Pro and am considering the purchase of ATC SCM40A speakers, directly connected to the analogue balanced outputs of the ADI-2. This would essentially use the RME as a DAC and Pre-amp (and volume control +/- EQ etc) using the power amps 'attached to' the speakers. This setup would obviously need a pair of suitable balanced analogue cables.

My question is will this relatively simple setup work, or am I missing anything?

Thanks,

David.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

Re: ADI-2 FS Pro direct to active HiFi speakers

No, you are not missing anything.
Just think twice if the lack of a remote control will not be too big drawback for using your system.

3 (edited by Curt962 2020-02-20 15:39:52)

David,

Absolutely!!  Go for it!   My ADI-2DAC is connected precisely in the manner you propose, and it works exactly as you anticipate. 

Enjoy!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks very much for the confirmation!

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

David...

If your ATC's really aren't working out...My Wife, and I would gladly offer a Warm, Caring, and Acoustically Treated home to them.  smile

Just saying...  smile

Best to You

Curt

Hi David, I have this week done exactly the same as you’re proposing (albeit with ATC SCM20ASLs) and it sounds absolutely fantastic.  So much more detail and bass weight/extension than my previous passive setup.  I think you have a treat in store.

Pitrs wrote:

Just think twice if the lack of a remote control will not be too big drawback for using your system.

Good point, but he could sell the ADI-2 Pro FS and get either the new
- ADI-2 DAC FS or
- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
where both devices have the new remote control and also the new AKM chip.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Curt, in the extremely unlikely event that I have problems with the RME/ATC setup, I will consider your kind offer to house the ATCs! :-))

9 (edited by Pitrs 2020-02-21 12:59:00)

ramses wrote:
Pitrs wrote:

Good point, but he could sell the ADI-2 Pro FS and get either the new
- ADI-2 DAC FS or
- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
where both devices have the new remote control and also the new AKM chip.

Yes. Exactly this is what companies driven purely by a stupid marketing want you to do: to buy new and new devices even if the former one would easily function much much longer. This is the worse face of consumer behavior - replacing fully functional device by a new one which is from 99 % the same, only manufacturer's marketing (which cleverly plans these "updates") tells you that you need to have it... It is a sick thinking driving our planet towards a disaster.

Here we go again:

RME is exemplary in having the longest driver and firmware support in the industry. The old DAC can still be updated by simply buying the new remote. The first Pro did not have remote support. When this project started nobody could imagine that it would attract customers from HiFi more than from studio and measurement (industry). Now 4 years later we know and added the remote to the Pro. So what? Not adding it so you don't feel screwed?

Of course you are so clever you would have known all this from the beginning. Quickly get yourself a job as marketing crystal ball expert!

I warned you before and it's really enough now. Your account is closed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Pitrs wrote:

Yes. Exactly this is what companies driven purely by a stupid marketing want you to do: to buy new and new devices even if the former one would easily function much much longer. This is the worse face of consumer behavior - replacing fully functional device by a new one which is from 99 % the same, only manufacturer's marketing (which cleverly plans these "updates") tells you that you need to have it... It is a sick thinking driving our planet towards a disaster.

What you fail to see is that unlike with e.g. smartphones, the old product does not become obsolete or dysfunctional in any way. There is no cutoff or limit to driver support, the unit does not lose features (comparable to Apple willfully slowing down older phones), and of course it does not just stop working in any way. It will never refuse to play any signal you feed it.

Therefore, the new device is not a "replacement" and we do not market it to buyers of the previous model specifically as a must-have upgrade. People often ask me whether they should upgrade from one device to the next -  and I usually tell them that if they don't specifically require any of the new features, then there is no need to do so... (Don't tell our marketing dept....).

Of course, if you or any other customers find new features attractive on a device attractive enough, you will notice that the resale value of the old one is surprisingly high - which is not despite, but because of what I mentioned above. But try selling your old mobile phone that no longer gets updates... The difference between the price for the new device and what you get for the old one is what you paid for using the old one for a number of years - or would you expect that to be to totally for free?

You also fail to offer an alternative. Would you suggest for companies to simply refrain from adding features and producing the device unchanged forever, just to avoid complaints like yours? Also, think about other devices you own - or maybe your car... Don't most of them have successors with added features by now?

I realize you can not reply to this message, so the question remains rhetorical and for you to ponder. Please refrain from opening a new account.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Davidr...

We want to know about your new set up!

Let me be the first to invite you to perhaps open a New Thread where we can discuss such matters as Optimizing your Levels (Gain Staging) with the RME.  Then!!  We can discuss placement, measurements, etc.     Many here know already that NOTHING tickles my Trousers quite like a good old fashioned Speaker Positioning exercise!  smile

Let's have fun, and make your RME/ATC Combo Sing!!

Best,

Curt

Thanks Curt, I will, and will do so via a new tread, since this one has veered a little off-topic.

14 (edited by giacomino76 2020-02-28 15:10:39)

Adam S3V - ADI2 dac
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfc6fw11jg44h … 9.jpg?dl=0

15 (edited by Curt962 2020-02-29 00:58:17)

Giacomino,

Very Nice!  With a bit of visual extrapolatiion (and the reflection in the TV Screen) your Room seems generously proportioned.   That's always a nice thing!

I see an SBT in the Mix!   Those little devices are SO COOL!  (and Test Bit Perfect with the RME)   They and their older SB Siblings quite literally "Wrote the Book" on Streaming!    Fantastic. smile

Enjoy!!

Curt

16 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-10 16:35:08)

@davidr...

We 're waiting!   The High Court (my Wife) has already Ruled that I WON'T be be buying any ATC40s...but of course, Yours are always Welcome!  smile

Surely looking forward to hearing more about your new Acquisition.

Best!

Curt