Topic: Bug: Periodic pops with DSD256 when player paused

I just bought the ADI-2 DAC (version 2 with AKM 4493). 

I discovered a bug specific to the combination of the HQPlayer music player software and the ADI-2 DAC.  The bug does not happen if I replace the ADI-2 with the exaSound e32 DAC or if I replace HQPlayer with Audirvana playing to the ADI-2 DAC.

With HQPlayer outputting DSD256 (confirmed on status display of ADI-2), whenever I pause HQPlayer, the ADI-2 DAC emits a soft pop every 1.5 seconds throughout the time HQPlayer is paused. Pops absent during play and stop modes of HQPlayer or when HQPlayer output is DSD128 or PCM.

Loudness of pops is unaffected by HQP volume control.  The pop loudness also is unaffected by ADI-2 internal digital volume control (although it is proportional to ADI-2 analog reference level setting) or by whether DSD Direct is engaged.

Each pop displays as a full scale "overlimit" on ADI-2 meters, but loudness through speakers is soft, perhaps because ADI-2 has some kind of overlimit protection.

Is this a firmware bug or a defect?

As stated above, the problem does not occur if I replace the ADI-2 DAC with an exaSound e32 DAC.

Re: Bug: Periodic pops with DSD256 when player paused

Version of HQPlayer?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

HQP Desktop 4.3.1 for Mac.

No such problem with 4.5.0  Pro on Windows.

Is that pop visible in the level meters on the display? Then it is a signal sent to the ADI from HQPlayer, Core Audio or else. That the exasound does not show that pop might be caused by stronger and longer muting.

You should send this bug report to the HQPlayer developer, I bet he can fix this quickly.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, Matthias, for testing this so quickly!  Your customer support is extraordinary.

Yes, the pop pegs the level meters.

I'll ask the HQP developer to investigate.  He has the ADI-2 Pro, original version.

Update for anyone who might be concerned about this:  The developer of HQ Player confirmed it was a bug in the Mac version.  He released an update yesterday that fixed the bug.

7 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-07 18:37:29)

Good Work Bob.  I'm sure there are other users that might benefit from your detective efforts.   Thanks!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

+1

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME