Topic: Input levels really low

I have an ADI-2 Pro and the input levels are really low compared to audio in windows, it is almost half.  How do i increase the gain on the inputs? I am using an SPDIF input.

ADI-2 Pro  -  ADAM Audio A7X Monitors

Re: Input levels really low

What is connected to this input ?
A digital level is a digital level ....

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Optical phono stage is connected. This could be me then, apologies if that sounded a bit stupid.

ADI-2 itself does not change the level it receives from Windows, either via SPDIF or USB.

So if the level is lower then fullscale you have to look inside Windows at which of the multiple stages of the signal chain you reduced the output volume.

RME's unique Bit-Test is a perfect tool to verify that finally ADI-2 gets the original, full level.
As long as the test fails, Windows configuration is wrong.

Read manual page 92

Download Bit Test files:
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

Play the one with your typical Sample Rate and Resolution
Start with the basic:
441_16_adi2pro_bittest.wav

ADI-2 recognizes the file and shows a confirmation if everything is OK.
If you don't see that message there's still something "wrong".
OK, it's not really "wrong", but ADI-2 gets somewhat changed signals, as you claimed.
Still, I think the headphones output should be loud enough.

5 (edited by chrisgclark 2020-03-05 20:56:16)

Thanks for all the help, not getting any kind of message when playing those files, is the unit supposed to say something?

Chris, read Kai's comments above.  A blank screen means FAIL.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

7 (edited by chrisgclark 2020-03-05 23:30:43)

Curt962 wrote:

Curt

How do i begin to fix this?  I have failed to find a proper driver, all i can find is firmware, that is up to date.

Current firmware is USB 213 and DSP 97

Current driver (from Windows servers) is 25/02/2019 and version 0.9.681.0

I played the files with VLC and Winamp, both were not recognised.

8 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-06 00:08:23)

First, there is the Windows volume control in the taskbar right side, set it to 100%.
You can read the name of the connection there too, memorize it for the next step, if necesssary.

Bit-test.

Not OK? Then:

You said you connect with SPDIF.
This means you must have a sound card with any kind of driver installed in Windows.
Remember, with SPDIF connection there is no RME driver.
SPDIF is audio only, no device communication, Windows doesn't know where the sound goes to.

In Windows settings locate the sound card's settings (might even be the built in on the motherboard, no difference), and look inside it's properties, maybe there are Volume, Pan and/or Effect controls to be adjusted to neutral.

Bit-test.

Not OK? Then:

A complete alternative would be, connect the ADI-2 with USB, either using Windows generic drivers, or install the RME driver.
If your player software supports ASIO use it, it's best.
Otherwise WDM is fine too.
For installation and ADI's configuration now it's important to RTFM so please wink
Take a minute to do so, really! smile

I'm not sure what you mean with "I played the files with VLC and Winamp, both were not recognised".
You mean Bit-Test failed?
Or no audio through them?

BTW: the player, VLC at least, has a volume control too that needs to be at 100%.
Sometimes this is coupled with Windows Vol., sometimes not.

You don't give detailed information about your system, so above help can be "generic" at best, but hope it gives you a starting point.

I connect the device via USB. i connect my phono stage via optical (SPDIF), i route it all so i can overlay other audio at the same time like games.  I would love a link to the RME driver but as i said above, all i could find was a firmware update tool.  My system is Asus Maximus X, 8700K, 32GB DDR4, multiple SSDs.  It took too much effort to get the ADI-2 Pro to honor the internal clock and allow the windows audio and SPDIF audio to play at the same time.  I do not want exclusive, i want to be able to listen to vinyl while doing other things.

10 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-06 00:24:28)

Activate ADI's SRC "Sample Rate Conversion" if a singular clock is not possible because your phono stage cannot be clock slave.

The driver is here:
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_m … _09700.zip

You need to route the Phono signal throught Windows Mixer, as ADI-2 has no Mixer to listen to more than one source at a time.
Here you can balance the levels too.

Looks like Bit-Test is not your problem.

KaiS wrote:

Activate ADI's SRC "Sample Rate Conversion" if a singular clock is not possible because your phono stage cannot be clock slave.

I have the SPDIF routed via windows after some grief, it is just the lower level this started with, the driver is newer than the one i had by version but older by date... go figure!

How do i alter SRC? Sorry if there is a page i missed in the manual but that thing is massive!

Again, i really appreciate all this help.

12 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-06 02:09:59)

ADI-2
Setup/Options/SPDIF- Remap Keys/SRC

I would have expected it at:
Setup/Options/Clock/...
but it's not

The level is defined by the Phono Preamp/DAC, ADI can't change it when the Phono is connected via SPDIF.
I'd say there is some dynamic headroom needed in this path, so it's digital level cannot be as hot as a digital fullscale music master.

Lower the other sources and bring up ADI's Output Volume.

chrisgclark wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Curt

How do i begin to fix this?  I have failed to find a proper driver, all i can find is firmware, that is up to date.

Current firmware is USB 213 and DSP 97

Current driver (from Windows servers) is 25/02/2019 and version 0.9.681.0

I played the files with VLC and Winamp, both were not recognised.

Just a thought about the Bit Test: I have not succeded yet to pass the Bit Test with VLC... I'm on Mac OS, Quick Look is OK (Bit Tess passed) , iTunes is OK (Bit Test Passed), but VLC is not... EQ, compression and all FX are off, volume is at 100%... I haven't figured yet why and will make other tests soon. I will keep you posted.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Same here on iPad Pro 10.5:

Every player I tested passed the Bit-Test, except VLC.
There's not much in VLC Mobile's settings audio-related - so be it.

KaiS wrote:

Same here on iPad Pro 10.5:

Every player I tested passed the Bit-Test, except VLC.
There's not much in VLC Mobile's settings audio-related - so be it.

Thanks, I won't lose time anymore on that smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Tried the bit-test files with multiple players on windows and nothing, i am baffled as to what could be different from macOS or iOS.

Bit Test passed on VLC: in the advanced settings, I've deactivated the resampling, and its OK smile

Noob!  My Friend!

OUIIIIIIIIIII! 

That's Great News.  Enjoy Monsignor!!

Curt

Thread hijack aside smile I have disabled resampling in VLC and my ADI still doesn't recognise it.  Please, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

20 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-07 22:10:03)

Chris, not a HiJack.  Rather the User group contributing in order to help resolve your dilemna.  They're trying!

Perhaps a Chat with N00b would shed some light. 

PS:  I just pinged Noob offline to perhaps offer you some help.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Chris, not a HiJack.  Rather the User group contributing in order to help resolve your dilemna.  They're trying!

Perhaps a Chat with N00b would shed some light. 

PS:  I just pinged Noob offline to perhaps offer you some help.

Curt

Hi Curt smile

chrisgclark wrote:

Thread hijack aside smile I have disabled resampling in VLC and my ADI still doesn't recognise it.  Please, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

So resampling off in the advanced settings?
Volume at 100%? Have you started with 44.1 kHz Bit Test?
What is your OS?

I played all of the files in multiple players, resampling off (disabled automatic).  I was really just having a joke at the hijack, i could see it was help, sorry of i offended any of you guys, all help is gratefully received.

23 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-08 00:16:27)

No Prob Chris.   We're all a fun bunch. smile

Let's just mull this over, and see if the group can't help you toward a resolution with VLC.   

Best!

Curt

24 (edited by chrisgclark 2020-03-08 00:26:34)

Curt962 wrote:

No Prob Chris.   We're all a fun bunch. smile

Let's just mull this over, and see if the group can't help you toward a resolution with VLC.   

Best!

Curt

I am not sure VLC is the issue, is there a preferred test player the devs use? I have the latest driver and firmware installed, also using a dedicated USB port with a decent cable.

My reference is JRiver (Mac and Windows), an older version of WaveLab (which fails at 32 bit, Windows) and Neutron (running on my iPhone and iPad. Fails at 32 bit as iOS is limited to 24 bit). I am sure Audition would work too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just tested on my Macbooks and it works fine on both, something going on with Windows here

MC wrote:

My reference is JRiver (Mac and Windows), an older version of WaveLab (which fails at 32 bit, Windows) and Neutron (running on my iPhone and iPad. Fails at 32 bit as iOS is limited to 24 bit). I am sure Audition would work too.

JRiver worked instantly when using ASIO, I am guessing i should of been using ASIO the whole time...

Thanks for the help

Outstanding Chris!   Glad you have everything in order.

Have Fun, and Enjoy!

Curt