Topic: ADI-2 Heat - Is it ok to sit on top of UFX II?

Finally bought RME products and I'm in heaven.

The ADI-2 is a little fire ball. I read about the way it dissipates heat and understand it's normal.

I have the ADI-2 digitally connected with the 9pin AES cable. Naturally, I place the unit on top of a brand new UFX II.

Is that ok for the UFX? I know I'm paranoid, but I did spend thousands and don't want problems.

Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2020-03-02 08:03:40)

Re: ADI-2 Heat - Is it ok to sit on top of UFX II?

Heat rises to the top, why should the device underneath get a problem ?

Simply plan a rack at least one RU larger and leave some room between the devices so that the heat between the units can be dissipated with or without a fan and the units do not heat each other.

If your devices are not racked and open, then I don't see a heat problem.

With the ADI-2 Pro/* you just have to make sure that the heat underneath the units is also dissipated well, so I wouldn't use the space as storage for anything else.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the reply, Ramses. They are racked with 2U free above and below. One of the reasons I asked is that I noticed quite a bit of heat underneath the ADI-2 sitting on the UFX.  The front panel of the UFX has Mic pres, display screen and electronic components.  If there wasn't any heat underneath I wouldn't be concerned.

For those wondering the same thing... The Mic/Line side of the UFX seems to generate the most heat. Placing the ADI-2 left of dead center seems to be optimal. I suppose I could get rack ears for one side of the ADI just to be sure.  Thanks

The ADI-2 Pro / * generate also some heat on the bottom additionally you get the heat from the device underneath.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-03 01:07:41)

Hello Toystein!

I think your concerns are entirely valid.  I don't disagree with Ramses at all, but might add that perhaps a Clever means of putting some added space between the stacked units would further improve airflow/ventilation.   A couple Wooden Blocks from your Child's Toy Box would add all the added Air Space needed.   Something really simple!   Consider that  Small Children don't truly need ALL 26 letters of the Alphabet on Wooden Blocks.  A few missing letters won't hurt a thing. smile

Consider Stability though...we don't want our gear perched atop a "House of Cards"  smile

Best in Cool Running!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt962 wrote:

Hello Toystein!

I think your concerns are entirely valid.  I don't disagree with Ramses at all, but might add that perhaps a Clever means of putting some added space between the stacked units would further improve airflow/ventilation.   A couple Wooden Blocks from your Child's Toy Box would add all the added Air Space needed.   Something really simple!   Consider that  Small Children don't truly need ALL 26 letters of the Alphabet on Wooden Blocks.  A few missing letters won't hurt a thing. smile

Consider Stability though...we don't want our gear perched atop a "House of Cards"  smile

Best in Cool Running!

Curt

Thank you Curt,

I opted to buy the rack ears for the unit. I don't want to take any chances.  That much heat on top of the unit can't equate to good things in the long run. Just going to isolate them with the rack ears for peace of mind.

7 (edited by ramses 2020-03-07 09:22:33)

BTW .. did you measure the heat on the surface ? What is your room temperature ?

Our fingers are relatively sensitive .. washing my hands at 45°C feels already uncomfortably.
Electronic devices operate under load at temperatures of 68°C or even more.

On the other hand its a good idea to let the heat dissipate as Curt suggests.

8 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-07 12:07:50)

It's as simple as this:

Average life span of electronic parts is directly correlated to temperature.
The cooler, the longer they live.

An example:
A high quality electrolytic cap lasts 2000 hours at 105°C.
Every about 10°C lower temperatur (exact value depends) life span doubles.
So at 55°C part's temperatur, statistical average life span would be about 7 years.

This would be at an estimated device's housing outside temperature of 40°C, as inside it's hotter.

And some parts generate heat by themselves, so they are generally some extra 10-60°C hotter than their surrounding.

There are lot's of parts inside ADI-2.
So - the cooler the better.

Hi Kai, it's all clear. I just lack a certain quantification in this thread of what temperatures we are talking about here at all.

Maybe the temperature for this device is just in a normal range and the thread creator is worrying unnecessarily.
Statements like "very warm" or "hot" are simply very relative, meaningless and subjectively colored.

My wife can't drink the coffee as warm as I can, so statements like "hot", "very hot", "scalding hot" are totally subjective and need clarification.

It should also be clear that the temperatures are higher in summer. Because nobody knows where the other one is, it is useful to also mention the room temperature.

10 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-07 18:57:17)

An inexpensive IR Thermometer takes all the Guesswork out of the equation.  Handy for other tasks as well!

https://www.amazon.de/Thermometer-Tempe … NrPXRydWU=

Be Cool!  smile

* I just checked my ADI-2 DAC.  32C.  (3hrs ON Time - No underlying equipment) Ambient Room Temp" 20C.  This seems entirely reasonable, and well within the operating Temperature range specified by RME

*Update:  7hrs operating time. 33C.   Quite Stable.

Curt

Did you apply the little rubber feet underneath your ADI?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ich?  My ADI-2DAC has the nice Metal/Rubber feet it was equipped with new.    No concerns on my part.

Best,

Curt

ramses wrote:

H
My wife can't drink the coffee as warm as I can, so statements like "hot", "very hot", "scalding hot" are totally subjective and need clarification.

My wife can eat here diner much hotter then I can.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

You need this IR Thermometer Vinark and tell us all the gory details wink

15 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-09 19:39:47)

ramses wrote:

You need this IR Thermometer Vinark and tell us all the gory details wink

Indeed!!  smile  We want Data, and complete Post-Incident Medical Analysis .  Claims of Blistering, and Charring of Delicate Mouth Tissues are Very Subjective.  big_smile

If Thai, or Indian Food is involved...the Science changes dramatically.   After a Latency period, these dishes can re-emerge from the G.I. Tract in an event not unlike Pyroclastic Flow.   Think Pompei!  smile

Best to all for Injury-Free Dining.

Curt

@Daniel.

Back on Topic, I merely posted Time/Temp Data as a means of establishing a Baseline for other users involved in this thread.  I surely hope there was no confusion created.   

Curt