Topic: 24/7

Hi All,
i just got and plugged my new ADI-2 DAC to my system (Marantz HD-AMP1 and KEF-R3). I am reading the manual and discovering all the options, which is amazing, but for the time being, is there any harm in letting the DAC stay on 24/7? I don't mean temporarily, but in general?

thanks!

Re: 24/7

Not at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Not at all.

Thanks. BTW, probably stating the obvious, the Rme is incomparable with the Marantz dac. Suddenly I'm hearing my music in a way I've never heard before.

Cool, thanks for the positive feedback, enjoy your ADI !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-14 14:44:18)

Indeed!

Enjoy that little Giant!  .

Happy Listening,

Curt

PS:  Just so you know, that "WOW FACTOR" never fades.  smile    You'll still be thrilled with your new ADI-2.DAC far into the future.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

6 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-15 11:45:35)

gaburko wrote:

... is there any harm in letting the DAC stay on 24/7? I don't mean temporarily, but in general?

Yes, to the environment and your wallet.

The ADI-2 Pro, left on 24/7,  consumes about 100kWh/year, that's 33€/year in Germany.
For relationship: my 400 litre A+++ fridge consumes just 175 kWh/year, less than what 2 ADIs do!

Your ADI would contribute to the global warming by 0.0000000001 °C.
No, not really, but ...

I'm not very Scientific about it, but over time, have found a Direct Correlation between Wasted Energy, and Cost.

KwH not used is KwH I dont have to pay for.   So?  When I'm done for the Day...I push ONE button, and the entire Shebang goes dark.   Seems easy enough!  smile

Best to All,

Curt

As this is about the ADI-2 DAC let me add that it draws 6.4 Watts from the power grid = 0.153 kWh per day = 56 kWh per year.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-15 15:56:14)

Indeed MC, the ADI-2DAC is quite frugal in terms of energy usage.   To me, living in an area where Electricity is VERY affordable it's hardly a concern, yet I still conform to the Old School, and revert to the "Turn it off if you're not using it" thinking imposed upon me from a very early age. smile

From an Energy Waste standpoint, there are far greater Villains!  The ADI-2 DAC is as innocent as a Newborn Child.   Dozens of Wall Warts (phone chargers,etc) quietly nibbling away at Electricity in nearly any home, and that's just the beginning.  I surely found no fewer than 12 "Chargers" in my Teenagers Room alone.   All plugged in, and connected to absolutely nothing.

Whatever.   I only Pay the Bills. smile

Best to All,

Curt