Topic: UFX+ Loss of audio (Windows 10)

I am having an occasional but frustrating issue, where sound is cutting out, mainly in Windows audio.

At some point sound will cut out, I am unable to get anything to play.
Attempts to open the Madiface settings fail. Though I have never seen any USB errors on that.
I am using a 3m Lindy cable (see below).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 … &psc=1

Attempts to restore sound by rebooting the UFX+ lead to an error in Windows

"USB device not recognized
The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

The only way to restore sound is to restart the PC while the UFX+ is switched on.

The unit has been doing this since I got it around 3 months ago but I figured it was a sw rather than a hw issue.

Has anyone experiences this issue, or have a fix?

Running 06/12/19 drivers.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-03-17 15:56:43)

Re: UFX+ Loss of audio (Windows 10)

I am using the same cable as 5m cable without USB transport issues.

Are you sure, that you didn't get USB transport errors ? Did you keep the Driver setting window open to watch the CRC error counter ? As soon as you close this window no measuring will be performed and the counter reset.

You didn't tell anything in regards to your PC (CPU, Mainboard, GPU) and to what USB port you are connecting your UFX+.

Did you read the manual section about supported USB chipsets ?

Could it be the case that you are using an unsupported 3rd party chip or a chipset which is known to have issues ?

So did you try all USB3 and eventually also USB2 ports already of your system, preferrable ports coming from Chipset and not from i.e. ASMedia 3rd party communication chips on mainboard ?

You also did not tell anything more specific, what windows version you are you using, is it 1909 ?

What RME Firmware / Driver do you use ? If possible version numbers please.
Firmware: i.e. the number that is being displayed in the display when powering the device
Driver Version: version number of the driver in the driver setting dialog.

What does LatencyMon report ?

What ASIO buffersize are you using ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your reply.

Seems I was using the ASMedia 3.1 Gen 2 port on my mobo's rear (ASUS x-299a Prime)
There's an Intel one, so I am now using that.

I was able to get the device working fine without the need to reboot.

I guess I will wait and see if I continue to experience this issue with cutting out. But for now, all looks good with no errors on the device.

My driver is certainly old
v 0.9685 (25.06.19)
Hardware revision: 51

Probably worth updating.
Should old drivers be uninstalled first before a new one being installed?

Then I think your problems were related to ASMedia chips.
Simply overinstall drivers.
Get latest firmware and driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13