Topic: UFX+ USB crackles with high buffer size only (1024 samples)

Hello,
I'm experiencing crackles and little audio dropouts with my UFX+ connected via usb 3.0, but only if the buffer size is set on 1024 samples.

I installed the latest driver for UFX+.
I'm using Cubase 10.5 on a PC (windows 10 home, cpu intel i7 7700HQ 2.80Ghz, gpu nVidia gtx 1060 6Gb).
I think I have set all the windows settings for maximum performance, without any energy saving option.

Can you tell me the cause of the problem?

Thank you.

Re: UFX+ USB crackles with high buffer size only (1024 samples)

Did you read the manual about supported USB chips and how to test for USB transport errors ? No ? Then pls do so, thanks.
How long is your USB3 cable ?
Does the USB test in the driver settings window report USB transport errors ?

What mainboard are you using ?
Did you try all USB3 / USB2 ports preferrably those coming from chipset (Intel, AMD)?

What driver version, everybod tells latest, this usually means nothing and after weeks the status is unclear what latest actually was.

Which version of Windows 10 ... ? 1909 ?

Do you have the issues when using the WDM driver (windows apps) or does this happen with the ASIO driver ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

My sistem: Laptop Asus, x64. Windows 10 home 10.0.18363. Mainboard: Asus GL502VMK.
The cable is the one coming with the interface, think is 1.8 mt. The rme madiface driver is 0.9716.
I hear some crackles using both, WDM and ASIO.

Thanks for the reply,
I'll pay attention to USB diagnosis in the driver setting window, and check all USB3 ports. I'll let you know if something changes.

Thanks again

See also here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 59#p151959

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks.
I check if are currently installed latest drivers and firmware.

If it can be useful, in Device Manager I can see this (view set to Devices by Connection):

- PC ACPI x64 based
              -Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Sistem
                              -PCI Express root complex
                                         - Controller host Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible - 1.0 (Microsoft)
                                                 -Hub radice USB (USB 3.0)
                                                          -RME UFX+ USB 3.0
                                                          - "all other usb devices..."

So I think that maybe all ports on my computer are connected to the same controller. I don't see any other controller host usb.

Thank you.

Nevertheless I would be pragmatic and try all USB3 and USB2 ports.

Another option would be to get a separate card with Fresco Logic "FL1100" USB3 chipset,
which is tested by RME, like i.e. this card: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html

Win10 has already a driver, if there should be issues you can download and install the latest from Fresco Logic.
The driver uses the more efficient working MSI (message signalled interrupts) which also has benefits on a loaded system.

Hello,
I've tried all USB3 ports and it's the same: little crackles and occasional dropouts at 1024 samples on WDM and ASIO. I have a laptop, so I don't have a free slot for a separate card with Fresco Logic chipset.
The USB Diagnosis in the settings windows shows 1|0|0 in case of crackling and 0|1|0 in case of audio dropouts.

There is another way to solve this issue?

I tried to run LatencyMon, and it displays a problem ("highest execution") with "Wdf01000.sys" driver and "nvlddmkm.sys".

Thanks for your help and I hope you are safe these days...

>  and it displays a problem

Which problem? Can you post a screenshot of LatencyMon after running for 10 minutes on an idle system (no applications, no mouse movement). The objective is to measure the basic load of your system by drivers and background job.

Information how to post pictures on RME forum see here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

With Laptops its difficult and the BIOS usually doesn't allow to disable energy saving options.

I have another idea. Did you use your system preinstalled or did you perform a fresh installation ?
I experienced many issues with a Lenove Laptop. The preinstalled system and tools caused much lag even on GUI level.
On fresh installation you should remeasure with latencymon for 2-3 minutes to cross check the values.
This you do after installation of any new driver and tool / application.

Leave out questionable tools frmo the Laptop vendor for things like BIOS updates, system status, Blower Control or whatever. Stay with the stock tools that Windows gives to you. Those tools are sometimes badly coded and can cause a lot of lag.

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:10:08  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        MIKE-PC
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 (x64)
Hardware:                                             GL502VMK, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  16340 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   2808 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   840,50
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   6,113817

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       812,10
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2,310970

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              697,768875
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,005523
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   Wdf01000.sys - Runtime framework driver modalità kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,005819

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   156849
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                2
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1323,611467
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Runtime framework driver modalità kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,057215
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Runtime framework driver modalità kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,084247

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   312376
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                33
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              2
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 xtuservice.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       6150
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          1133
Number of processes hit:                              39

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       13,693385
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                697,768875
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,283414
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      156757
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1323,611467
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   3,744636
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      279866
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3,692560
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                2,017806
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,000073
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      94
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                621,009259
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,304818
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      21734
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,384921
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                630,404558
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,018767
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      3910
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,801363
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                109,022436
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,008955
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      2006
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,240990
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                121,539530
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,011105
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      2076
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,646280
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                85,993946
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,004362
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      756
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,164454
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                164,524929
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,007854
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      1450
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,519836
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                72,044516
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,003899
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      613

ramses wrote:

>  and it displays a problem

Which problem? Can you post a screenshot of LatencyMon after running for 10 minutes on an idle system (no applications, no mouse movement). The objective is to measure the basic load of your system by drivers and background job.

Information how to post pictures on RME forum see here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

With Laptops its difficult and the BIOS usually doesn't allow to disable energy saving options.

I have another idea. Did you use your system preinstalled or did you perform a fresh installation ?
I experienced many issues with a Lenove Laptop. The preinstalled system and tools caused much lag even on GUI level.
On fresh installation you should remeasure with latencymon for 2-3 minutes to cross check the values.
This you do after installation of any new driver and tool / application.

Leave out questionable tools frmo the Laptop vendor for things like BIOS updates, system status, Blower Control or whatever. Stay with the stock tools that Windows gives to you. Those tools are sometimes badly coded and can cause a lot of lag.

I'm using a preinstalled system. Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjec8k6iezr9j0z/sss.jpg?dl=1

12 (edited by ramses 2020-03-22 13:23:34)

Ok, misunderstanding, I meant a screenshot of the graphic display.

While we are at it, its worth to check the options, I prefer this one, as it shows the lowest values in microseconds,
compared to processes which have not such a high latency compared to DPC's.
General -> Interrupt to DPC latency

Also useful: to post a copy the text based report (Ctrl-C)

Ideal: also a screenshot of the values under drivers, sorted for highest execution time.
There you can best see, which drivers are spending most time on CPU cores.
Remember, drivers are not interrupted by the process scheduler, they terminate running on a core based on convention, so to say, what the developer coded into the driver...

Here something from me for comparison on an IDLE system, no applications running, no mouse movements.

LatencyMon v6.71, settings (options->general): Interrupt to DPC latency
Last Win10 Updates: cumulative update from:
- 2020-03-12: KB4551762
- 2020-03-12: KB4540673
Windows Energy Profile: High Performance (!)

Hardware and drivers:
A) RME Hardware and drivers:
- UFX+, driver 0.9716, Firmware 42
B) PC:
- CPU: Xeon E5-1650v3, 3.6 GHz fix
- GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO
- nVidia driver: studio driver: 431.70 (variant of nVidia driver with fewer changes and by this hopefully more stability)
  See also: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/08/12 … ormance/8/
- Mainboard: Supermicro X10DRi-F
- DRAM: 32GB
- System SD: Samsung EVO 860 1TB

EDIT: special HW for connecting / isolating Recording Interface on its own bus:
- Old version of the Sonnet Allegro Pro card with 4x FL1100 USB3 chip (not available anymore)
   https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/son … 79334.html
Advantage of this card: using MSI interrupt scheme which works better / more efficient under higher system/interrupt load.
Win7: needs special driver, Win10: driver included into Windows, but you can also install the latest FL driver.

My system settings (brief overview):
- upgrade installation from Windows 7 Professional
- Administrator account reactivated, my normal user has no admin rights
- used O&O Win10 Shutup to deactivate nearly everything but a few things for a) Administrator and b) my account
- Kaspersky Internet Security (Firewall + AntiVirus)
- Bitsum Parkcontrol: to fine tune power profiles, i.e. to disable CPU core parking for High Performance
- Win10 Enhanced System Settings: optimum performance for Background jobs
My personal preferences to get a more Win7 alike look
Please note: I do not know whether these packages are really "safe", I can only hope...
- Replaced Win10 Startmenue by: StartIsBack++
- Installed 8GadgetPack v31.0.0

Performing Tests with LatencyMon:

If you test a DAW professionally then I would let this test run over daytime to catch any impact of background jobs.
I tested for 10 Minutes which is sufficient to get a 1st impression, most issues show up in that timeframe.

Most important is
- to set the energy profile "High Performance" otherwise you get automatically higher latency
- to test on an IDLE system, to see how loaded your system already is without any application running
- please also no mouse moves during tests, as also this generates interrupts, we really want to see the base load
- best on a freshly bootet system, where you freshly logged in, then wait 1-2 minutes so that all foreground
  and background applications had a chance to finalize their start-up

I took a snapshot here of the lowest recurring vallue for interrupt to DPC latency to show by this screenshot how low recurring values are. I didn't take the absolute lowest value around 80 microseconds which has been reached only very few times within the 10min measuring value and thus doesn't have any significance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2p63fnnqla3ihg5/2020-03-22%2012_04_59-LatencyMon%20v%206.71-Win10-1909-Main%20Screen-1-2.jpg?dl=1

In the TAB "Drivers" sort for "Highest Execution time", here you can see that no driver occupied the cpu cores for longer than 302 microseconds. This means your CPU cores are not blocked by drivers and quickly free to be able to work on other processes / applications. Remember: drivers = low level routines, can not be interrupted by the Windows Process Scheduler and thus really can block a core if the driver is badly coded and runs for too long.

If an application / driver, which is audio related, is being scheduled to run on this core, then the likeliness is higher, especially under higher system loads, that audio can not be processes in time.

All OS these days (Windows, Apple) are not designed for real-time processing. The systems simply have enough power so that audio can be processed in time if nothing goes wrong (bad drivers, too high CPU load, too few DRAM (paging/swapping), too low ASIO buffers settings for a given workload, too many background processes, too many tracks with too many VST, too CPU hungry VST or VSTi, ..).

Here an example, what system load this system is able to process without issues: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/

And now the screenshot of the Drivers TAB from the same measuring interval of ~10 min:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrfxbtvawnsmi5o/2020-03-22%2012_04_59-LatencyMon%20v%206.71-Win10-1909-Drivers%20Screen-2-2.jpg?dl=1

Here the Report Text copy/paste:
CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:10:43  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        SUPERMICRO
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 (x64)
Hardware:                                             Super Server, Supermicro, X10SRi-F
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz
Logical processors:                                   12
RAM:                                                  32641 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   350 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO DPC LATENCIES
The interrupt to DPC latency reflects the measured interval in which a DPC could execute in response to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution.

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       304,20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2,954504

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              219,139143
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,063938
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,067101

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   721298
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              302,371714
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ntoskrnl.exe - NT Kernel & System, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,053216
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernelmodustreiber-Frameworklaufzeit, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,093807

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2466253
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                5
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 greenshot.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       181
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          133
Number of processes hit:                              7

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       18,982914
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                219,139143
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   5,156464
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      651574
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                302,371714
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   7,188289
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2454531
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,903446
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                11,118286
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000123
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      46
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,422555
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                157,710857
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,015474
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      3103
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,145480
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                25,485714
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000369
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      102
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,145930
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                41,076857
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,003213
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      1106
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,074778
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                35,643429
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000728
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      154
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,241556
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                42,569143
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,004973
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      1614
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,048176
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                27,533143
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000245
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      65
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,177056
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                42,250857
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,005124
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      1434
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,324331
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                4,260857
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,021056
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      69724
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                43,30
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,005156
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      1218
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,302879
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                41,267429
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,011464
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      2428
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,112404
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                41,199143
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,002994
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      457

Ok, I tested my system on a fresh boot, and with this option checked: General -> Interrupt to DPC latency.
This is the result:

CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:10:23  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        MIKE-PC
Hardware:                                             GL502VMK, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
RAM:                                                  16340 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   2808 MHz

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO DPC LATENCIES
The interrupt to DPC latency reflects the measured interval in which a DPC could execute in response to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution.

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       692,70
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       5,676150

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              639,148860
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Runtime framework driver modalità kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,005213
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   Wdf01000.sys - Runtime framework driver modalità kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,005498

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   152874
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                1

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              766,070513
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,057239
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Runtime framework driver modalità kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,084849

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   319715
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                132
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       1971
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          556
Number of processes hit:                              15

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       12,795660
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                639,148860
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,274203
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      152875
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                766,070513
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   3,621931
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      270108
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5,696930
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                626,923789
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,573908
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      43893
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,598960
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                608,786681
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,014178
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      2357
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3,065225
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                604,226496
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,004288
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      575
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,695329
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                76,385328
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,005383
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      936
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3,204655
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                74,742877
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,002164
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      363
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,604397
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                156,395655
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,006473
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      1000
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3,309377
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                47,179487
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,003508
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      615

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvravfsn3zfgoaq/sddddsds.jpg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqzpiuzj1z7kqiy/33jpg.jpg?dl=1

15 (edited by ramses 2020-03-22 14:09:45)

A screenshot of your drivers tab would have been interesting as well, because then you can see
which other drivers have maybe also a high execution time.

You're getting about the same values as me, but much higher peaks around 641 microseconds.
Thats more than double compared to my system.
This could be an explanation for audio drops if such an audio process is on a core which is potentially blocked for so long.
I personally think quite high for an otherwise not loaded system. At least this you should observe for further troubleshooting.
Maybe background tasks are doing something in the background or access the network additionally.
Maybe transfer of telemetry data to Microsoft, who knows.
Maybe an indexer job ...
Maybe some bad drivers or preinstalled system monitoring tools that suck performance, if this is a preinstalled system of if you didn't care when installing programs that might install other stuff in the background. Therefore I install only with expert options because there you see of all sudden, that other programs shall be installed, which you should disable if this software is not really needed ... demo or advertizement ...

Thats one of the reasons why still some people prefer to fine tune their system for audio to silence the system
or to get a turnkey system where the combination of HW and Drivers has already been tested well.
This can of course become very time consuming to find this out on your own, what the root cause for this is.

You should compare the values on a freshly installed Win10 with no drivers installed.
For this purpose I would deploy a 2nd SSD for that purpose, this saves you time for backup / restores.

But I would recommend you any way to perform a backup (system image) with Macrium Reflect, before doing modifications to your system.

16 (edited by ramses 2020-03-22 14:16:30)

Ok you updated screenshots, thanks.

Are you using Wifi ?
Which nVidia driver do you use ?

With laptops it can become more difficult... you need to look and experiment.
Eventually new installation and leave out crap tools, system tools from the laptop vendor.

Write down exactly, which drivers are required for your system and leave out unnecessary tools from vendor.
Download them 1st.
Perform system backup to be able to come back to this state.

Maybe windows performance toolkikt / xperf can help you further.

But as this all is much work and trial and error involved I am sticking out of this thread now.

In a bad case of luck you need to get a laptop which is tested and optimized for audio.

17 (edited by mike.nardella1 2020-03-22 15:30:34)

Yes I'm using Wifi. The nVidia driver is "Game Ready Driver 442.74 - nVidia geforce gtx 1060 driver version: 26.21.14.4274".
I understand it is a matter of trying and testing. Thanks for your time.

I have only one question: is it possible to disable "Wdf01000.sys - Kernelmodustreiber-Frameworklaufzeit" ? I think this is one of responsibles of audio dropouts.

18 (edited by ramses 2020-03-22 15:41:40)

Its a known thing that Wifi can cause issues. Pls turn it off.

Network activity I can't recommend during recording or music playback.
It seems to generate too many interrupts and this can cause issues.
Especially on notebooks.

Another recommendations as you have a dedicated GPU on your Laptop.

If you playback audio and want to browse the internet ...
There must be settings that the Graphics of the Internet Browser (Firefox ..) will be processes / rendered by the
dedicated nVidea GPU. This made it possible for me on my old business laptop to listen to audio playback with
lowest ASIO buffersize again (32).

General recommendation, network accesses can cause issues or may require higher ASIO buffersizes.
Cabled Ethernet is better / preferred over WiFi ..

19 (edited by ramses 2020-03-22 15:48:33)

And even if you do not use actively use WLAN or LAN ... broadcast traffic can issue load on your systems,
because broadcast packets need to be still processed by your PC which causes interrupts, DPC processing
more DPC latency, CPU load.
The best for recording is to disconnect from LAN or to turn off WLAN.
You need to experiment whats required for your system.

Even if this solves most of your problems I would consider a clean Win10 installation done by yourself instead of using a preinstalled Laptop system. Vendors overperform and tend to install tools that are not good for low latency audio processing without audio drops ...

And again, before new installation, measuring with LatencyMon, etc ....
Perform a backup (system image with Macrium Reflect).
Check that you have a proper Win10 license ...
AFAIK its still possible to use a Win7 key, but I can't guarantee ..

Hello. Does anyone know how to read the test results shown on the UFX+ screen (Hardware/Diagnosis)?
I'm experiencing some pops and clicks on headphones and I would like to know first if there is a defect in my interface.
My test results: 0 0000 0000 19 0 220
Thank you.

You asked this already:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 51#p152151

Sorry, but you do not need to open a new thread for every tiny little thing around the main issue.
Its easier for people who want to support you, to have the information in one thread.

You do not get any more attention by this, besides my attention to give you this little advice.