Topic: ADI-2 Dac FS

Been lurking this forum for quite sometime now, and i´ve finally bought an RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
Needless to say i´m in love by this tiny little black box!

i´ve been using it for the last couple of weeks connected to an Auralic Aries mini (where all my music files are stored on a SSD) and a pair of Hedd Type 20´s and the sound is just....

Anyways i also play guitar and record some stuff for my band at home, and use a Focusrite 2i2 for that, my question is:

is there any sort of device i could get in order to have both devices connected to my monitors, instead of having to disconnect each device every time i need to use them?

For instance when i´m listening to music, and want to play guitar, i have to disconnect the XLR cables that connects the ADI to the monitors, and i have to connect the cables from the Focusrite to the monitors.

Thanks in advance!
Fábio

Re: ADI-2 Dac FS

I suggest to replace the 2i2 with a Babyface Pro FS, then you can connect the Babyface Pro optical out to ADI-2 DAC optical in and switch sources with the ADI-2 DAC remote.

This will be more cost effective than getting a source switcher that is good enough quality to use with the DAC.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

I suggest to replace the 2i2 with a Babyface Pro FS, then you can connect the Babyface Pro optical out to ADI-2 DAC optical in and switch sources with the ADI-2 DAC remote.

This will be more cost effective than getting a source switcher that is good enough quality to use with the DAC.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff!! Will see if i find a good deal on one!

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-13 08:40:40)

There is another way to do that:

This is not obvious, but the Hedd 20 monitors contain an audio mixer of some kind:

Each balanced XLR input in fact consists of two inputs that are active at the same time and can be used independently:
1. The noninverted input on Pin2 XLR.
2. The inverted input on Pin3 XLR.
with GND Pin1 XLR common for both.

So all you need is a set of 2 special Y-cables that splits those inputs into separate connections.

Pin2 + Pin1 goes to the Focusrite 2i2 jack output.

Pin3 + Pin1 goes to ADI-2 DAC Pin3 + Pin1 XLR output.
As these are both the inverted Pins finally this connection is not inverted, normal phase: (-)+(-)=(+)

If both devices are located next to each other, mechanically it's easiest to do it like this:

• Use 2 normal XLR balanced cables.

• Open up the female connectors.

• Unsolder Pin2 wire. Pin2 will stay unused.

• Cut a thin jack-jack cable into half's.

• Connect it's center wire to the now free wire. Isolate the joint with the little piece of sleeve you removed from the jack cable.

• Connect it's shield to Pin1.

The beauty of this solution is, you can use both devices at the same time mixing their sound, which might give some more options like playing along a song with the guitar.

Technically this is completely OK.
No disadvantage except the tiny one that both connections are unbalanced, which should not be a problem, as GND related they still are!

You need someone with basic soldering skills to build these special cables.
This is a nice project for a beginner BTW.

Sorry Jeff, no Babyface sold sad
But he didn't want to buy from RME anyway smile

5 (edited by Fsilva 2020-03-13 13:10:24)

KaiS wrote:

There is another way to do that:

This is not obvious, but the Hedd 20 monitors contain an audio mixer of some kind:

Each balanced XLR input in fact consists of two inputs that are active at the same time and can be used independently:
1. The noninverted input on Pin2 XLR.
2. The inverted input on Pin3 XLR.
with GND Pin1 XLR common for both.

So all you need is a set of 2 special Y-cables that splits those inputs into separate connections.

Pin2 + Pin1 goes to the Focusrite 2i2 jack output.

Pin3 + Pin1 goes to ADI-2 DAC Pin3 + Pin1 XLR output.
As these are both the inverted Pins finally this connection is not inverted, normal phase: (-)+(-)=(+)

If both devices are located next to each other, mechanically it's easiest to do it like this:

• Use 2 normal XLR balanced cables.

• Open up the female connectors.

• Unsolder Pin2 wire. Pin2 will stay unused.

• Cut a thin jack-jack cable into half's.

• Connect it's center wire to the now free wire. Isolate the joint with the little piece of sleeve you removed from the jack cable.

• Connect it's shield to Pin1.

The beauty of this solution is, you can use both devices at the same time mixing their sound, which might give some more options like playing along a song with the guitar.

Technically this is completely OK.
No disadvantage except the tiny one that both connections are unbalanced, which should not be a problem, as GND related they still are!

You need someone with basic soldering skills to build these special cables.
This is a nice project for a beginner BTW.

Sorry Jeff, no Babyface sold sad
But he didn't want to buy from RME anyway smile

That solution is a no go for me, my soldering skills are none to zero, i´ve  recently bought an iron solder to try to fix one of my iems cable, and that proved unsucessful, i do shake a lot from my hands so it´s difficult to have the necessary precision for this tasks.

As for the Babyface, the price is a bit steep, and since i´ve made an huge investment this last months, i don´t see myself getting one so soon...

Again i appreciate the solutions/suggestions provided so far!

Regards,

Fábio

6 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-13 13:55:22)

Sorry to hear about your shaky hands.
Else this would really be a nice start project, there's nothing tiny involved here.
! — Coraggio — !

Maybe you can find someone do it for you, an electronics repair shop or music instrument sales with service.

Taken from your name I guess you are located in Italy?
I am located in Germany, so if nothing else helps I could do it for you and send it with DHL.
Of course, better to find someone close to you to do it.

KaiS wrote:

Sorry to hear about your shaky hands.
Else this would really be a nice start project, there's nothing tiny involved here.
! — Coraggio — !

Maybe you can find someone do it for you, an electronics repair shop or music instrument sales with service.

Taken from your name I guess you are located in Italy?
I am located in Germany, so if nothing else helps I could do it for you and send it with DHL.
Of course, better to find someone close to you to do it.

Thanks for the concern and for your help, it´s very kind of you!
But again, it´s not something that i feel confortable on doing, and i invested quite some € on a pair of Grimm XLR cables.

I´m from Portugal, i will keep this setup until i find a better solution.

Regards,

Fábio

8 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-13 23:37:29)

Fabio,

Perhaps it would be nice if Kai, and yourself exchanged some information, and Kai could send you a Schematic Diagram of his proposed solution. 

In the US, we have a Professional Service that can Fabricate any Cable requirement from Top Quality Materials, at a very reasonable price. 

www.CS1.net

They're Good!

Best to You!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt, what do you have in mind?

It's a special solution to get the most out of a special configuration.
Nothing "general" I think that can be offered to the public.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if someone does.
It's so simple that a schematic is not necessary.

Curt962 wrote:

Fabio,

Perhaps it would be nice if Kai, and yourself exchanged some information, and Kai could send you a Schematic Diagram of his proposed solution. 

In the US, we have a Professional Service that can Fabricate any Cable requirement from Top Quality Materials, at a very reasonable price. 

They're Good!

Best to You!

Thanks Curt, i understood the solution that KaiS had suggested, but i lack the skills to apply them on my cables, also i´ve spent € on a pair of new Grimm cables, so doesn´t make sense on spending more € on more cables...

I guess for now i will keep plugging and unplugging cables everytime i want to play/record guitar, until i have the funds to look for a different and affordable solution, who knows maybe i can score an used Babyface Pro, or even open box/demo unit from Thomman.

11 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-14 13:15:09)

Fábio,
Maybe you expect this solution to be expensive - it's not.

It could be built as 2 small adapters too:

ADI->XLRf—short cable —XLRm-> Grimm XLR ->Hedd20
2i2->Jack plug—cable—’

About 100€ material, labor and shipping.
Then you can still use you existing cables, unmodded.

And you would build those adapters and ship to me, is that it?

Yes, if you want me to, your welcome.

Would need to know what cables you alread have:
Cable type (balanced, unbalanced), connectors, lenght.

Do you like the jack connection to the Focusrite with a cable long enough to reach to the ADI? This is what I suggest.

Or I can fit a female connector to the adapter and you do use the existing Focusrite cable as interconnect.

Fabio, and Kai...Excellent Solution !!! 

Forum Teamwork at it's Finest!!  smile

Ok, any downsides on using those adapters? Any risks? And will it affect my Hedd´s?
I have a pair of Grimm TPR XLR cables with 5m lenght, to connect the ADI to my Hedd´s.
For the Focusrite i have a pair of XLR cables with 3m with male neutrik plugs connected to the 2i2 and neutrik xlr male on the other end to connect to the Hedd´s

Pic attached with how the units are displayed

https://i.ibb.co/47Q9dVR/IMG-0524.jpg

Curt962 wrote:

Fabio, and Kai...Excellent Solution !!! 

Forum Teamwork at it's Finest!!  smile

Indeed! KaiS has been very helpful, and this how every forum should work!
Providing helpful and affordable solutions to the less know users.

Fsilva wrote:

Ok, any downsides on using those adapters? Any risks? And will it affect my Hedd´s?
I have a pair of Grimm TPR XLR cables with 5m lenght, to connect the ADI to my Hedd´s.
For the Focusrite i have a pair of XLR cables with 3m with male neutrik plugs connected to the 2i2 and neutrik xlr male on the other end to connect to the Hedd´s

Pic attached with how the units are displayed

https://i.ibb.co/47Q9dVR/IMG-0524.jpg

If the placement of the ADI and 2i2 is that close I suggest to use the:

Option 1.
Jack cables of about 70cm as part of the Adapters to directly connect the 2i2.
You spare the existing 3m cables, use it elsewhere or sell it.

Option 2:
An XLRf for the 3m 2i2 cables - the 3m would be lying around, catching hum at worst, and I would need to know if the 3m are wired to standard Pin2=hot.
If you still prefer Option2 I can tell you how to find out.

Option 3 (maybe the best):
Adapers that combine 1+2: 70cm Jack cables for 2i2,
plus additional XLRf to use the 3m cables,
in case you want to place the Focusrite more distant — might happen.

All of the above solutions are technically correct.

I think option 1 would be the best option, since I prefere to use the Grimm cables, and wouldn’t mind ditching/selling the jack/xlr cable with 3m.

I agree.
The 5m Grimms are used in all 3 options.

I'll PM ' ed you for details.

This forum is amazing, in less than 24h my "problem" was solved, gotta thank Kai for his availability and to provide an affordable solution in the fastest way possible!

Fabio,

I don't wish to HiJack your thread, but I do have some questions regarding your Monitors.  Perhaps you could PM me.

Obrigado!

Curt

Thanks Fabio!

It seems the Forum is quiet.  Co-Vid 19 Quiet!   I'm sitting on a Caribbean Island for Work Assignment...now on "Lock-Down"

2000miles from my RME, and wonderng WHY I ever said "Yes" to this work assignment.

Curt

23 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-17 05:45:22)

Your situation reminds me to the famous question: "What would you take with you to a desert island?"

Answer: "My RME ADI-2 and a good pair of headphones."

Just that no one asked you this question before you were made to strand on a, hopefully, not so desert island!

Good luck!

Luckily i live nearby one of the most beautiful beaches in Portugal, and i use my Sony WM1A, so no need to take the ADI to a remote island, when paradise is just next to my door...also i´m not buying the stay at home scare tactic....just my 2 cents

25 (edited by Jas0_0 2020-03-18 08:28:34)

Fsilva wrote:

Luckily i live nearby one of the most beautiful beaches in Portugal, and i use my Sony WM1A, so no need to take the ADI to a remote island, when paradise is just next to my door...also i´m not buying the stay at home scare tactic....just my 2 cents

It’s not a scare tactic.  It’s science-based policy to prevent the spread of a highly infectious and deadly disease. 

Next you’ll be saying climate change is a hoax.

26 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-18 09:42:03)

Jas0_0 wrote:
Fsilva wrote:

It’s not a scare tactic.  It’s science-based policy to prevent the spread of a highly infectious and deadly disease. 

Next you’ll be saying climate change is a hoax.

To leave this place uncluttered, kind of, at least focussed, please discuss this elsewhere.
And please don't become personal.

A post here should at least contain one of the keywords: ADI, RME, audio, digital... smile

Thank you!

Congrats, I am using the Dac with the Hedd Type 20s as well and the sound is awe-inspiring at times. Truly superb.

Hi Rob!

We can't HiJack Fabios Thread, but it's good to see you Alive, and Well.   In communications, Fabio seems to be doing very well!   He seems to be enjoying his new ADI-2 DAC quite a lot. 

Curt

Sorry for the lack of replies, indeed i´ve bee enjoying the Hedd´s + ADI combo, waiting to get my hand on a pair of Heddphones which I have already ordered, to see what else has the ADI to offer me.

Fabio,

Look at Pg 15 of your ADI-2DAC User Manual.  You'll find there, a description of some Headphone exclusive features (M/S processing, Crossfeed)  that may be of great interest to you.

Have Fun!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Fabio,

Look at Pg 15 of your ADI-2DAC User Manual.  You'll find there, a description of some Headphone exclusive features (M/S processing, Crossfeed)  that may be of great interest to you.

Have Fun!

Curt

Thanks Curt, i´m aware of those options, just waiting to receive the Heddphone in order to play with the crossfeed on my ADI.

Regards!

Fabio,

The "Heddphones" look Super Cool!   In combination with the Reference Grade Headphone section of your ADI-2...I think you can anticipate a NICE TREAT!

Best to You!

Curt

I just ordered this DAC and in preparation for its arrival, I downloaded and installed the driver on my Windows 10 HP laptop. However, the DAC doesn't show up as a possible device with either my JRiver or Audirvana software, nor does it show up in the Windows Manage audio devices list. I rebooted after I installed it...still nothing. Do I need to plug it in once before it will appear, or could something have gone wrong with the installation? Thank you in advance.

Also, I plan to use it with a MacBook Pro once it is fixed (A USB port died)--I assume it will be plug and play and won't need a driver, correct?

34 (edited by KaiS 2020-04-02 00:38:29)

Guitarist wrote:

... Do I need to plug it in once before it will appear ...

Yes, exactly!
Windows does not show audio interfaces that aren't present.

KaiS wrote:
Guitarist wrote:

Yes, exactly!

It shows one I no longer use, but I once did, so I guess that's enough! Thanks.

One more question...can the display be configured to show the sampling rate in large enough numerals to be seen across the room? I don't see anything about it in the manual nor do any pictures of it show such information--it's usually the volume setting.

Guitarist wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Guitarist wrote:

Yes, exactly!

It shows one I no longer use, but I once did, so I guess that's enough! Thanks.

Somewhere in the settings, like printers that are long dead, but not as selectable in the Taskbar/Tray.

Guitarist wrote:

One more question...can the display be configured to show the sampling rate in large enough numerals to be seen across the room? I don't see anything about it in the manual nor do any pictures of it show such information--it's usually the volume setting.

No, all windows are in the manual. Clock source and Sample Rate is always visible in the corner down right.
A bit more highlighted in the Status Overview, see page 30 manual.

But never as big as the volume while you change it.

OK, thank you very much. I am looking forward to receiving it.

38 (edited by Guitarist 2020-04-06 21:52:23)

It arrived today and it sounds great! I was initially horrified when I played a DSD file and it showed a PCM sampling rate in the lower right corner, but after frantically reading the manual, it seems that is the internal processing rate and the data is not converted to PCM. Whew! And yes the ADI driver showed up as an option once I plugged my laptop into it. smile

39 (edited by N00b 2020-04-07 14:55:50)

Guitarist wrote:

It arrived today and it sounds great! I was initially horrified when I played a DSD file and it showed a PCM sampling rate in the lower right corner, but after frantically reading the manual, it seems that is the internal processing rate and the data is not converted to PCM. Whew! And yes the ADI driver showed up as an option once I plugged my laptop into it. smile

I don't use DSD, but from what I've read, DSD is by default converted to PCM (and that allows you to use all the DSP functions, including the volume). If you don't want DSD converted to PCM, you must use the DSD Direct function (in Setup -> Options), but you will lose all the DSP functions. The sampling rate displayed by the ADI will be the DSD one.

See the manual on page 32 smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables