Topic: Adi 2 pro Fs with which audio interfaces or preamp

Hi there.
I have  2 pro Fs but not ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition.
I want vokal record.
But
I want to do it in the best way.
The question is clear.
which Rme interfaces or preamp should I buy? I don't need too many channels. But I want the best recording unit.

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-25 18:37:50)

Re: Adi 2 pro Fs with which audio interfaces or preamp

Do you have a loud, high output Tube LDC (large diaphrag condenser) e.g. a Neumann M149 or any other of Neumann's latest Tube LDC?

These are mic's with way above normal output level, specially the M149 (see below what I'm heading for).

Next questions would be:
• what kind of vocals do you want to record,
• rap or singing,
• do you have a loud voice,
• and is your purpose limited to your personal vocal only.

If you have such a loud Tube LDC, first thing you can try:

• Plug the mic's output (from it's dedicated power supply) directly into the ADI-2 Pro FS.

• Max. ADI's Gain:
"I/O" / Analog Input / Settings /:
Ref Level : +4dB
Trim Gain Left or Right: 6dB

Now record you voice.
In your DAW, check how much gain do you need to normalize the recording to 0dBfs (max digital level).
Take note of the value and report back.
If it's within the range of ca. 15dB you don't need a mic pre!

Remarks:
• With a loud voice and a loud tube powered mic, like the Neumann M149, a mic pre is not necessarily needed.
• I do this quite often in my studio: plug mics that have their own PSU directly into my RME ADI-8 DSs. This is the cleanest record path thinkable, as it avoids any mic pre's coloration.

• This method does not work with 48V Phantom Powered mics, as ADI-2 Pro does, naturally, not deliver power supply on it's Line inputs!
It can work if an external 48V power supply is used, I did that several times.

3 (edited by ramses 2020-03-25 15:34:11)

Mithatgam wrote:

Hi there.
I have  2 pro Fs but not ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition.
I want vokal record.
But
I want to do it in the best way.
The question is clear.
which Rme interfaces or preamp should I buy? I don't need too many channels. But I want the best recording unit.

I wonder whether you have already optimized everything else in your audio chain to such an extent that it is even worth to think about having to get "the best" converter or preamp.

To your point ADI-2 Pro vs Pro FS R BE: the difference between those two products is so small that I ask myself why you are worried in any way. The Mic itself has much more noise compared to the extremely low SNR values of a converter.

How would you describe yourself ? Are you a professional, semiprofessional or do you make music as a hobby?
Don't get me wrong, I am not the type of guy who tells you, that you shall not spend so much money for something as a hobbyist.
I only ask myself whether you might have wrong expectations from getting the "best converter or preamp".

I think there are many more things in front of a preamp, that can go wrong and have much more impact compared to actual converter quality, i.e.
- the artist
- how the artist uses the mic (distance, etc)
- the room (is the room treated, does it have a good acoustic, ..)
- the mic selection

You didn't give any information about your background, how are you currently recording and  what disturbes you most in your current setup ... Which microphones are you currently using (in what price range?)? ..

In the fotography area somebody said, the beginner focuses on the quality of the equipment, the professional looks for the quality of the light.

What makes you so sure that you need to look for the best converter or preamps ? Do you have already the best sounding mic ? A perfect performing artist ? A good sounding room ? ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Mithatgam 2020-03-25 21:02:30)

First of all I have rode nt2a.
I do it for hobby purposes. But I want to do this well.
My goal is to create the ideal system for recording. I live in Turkey. Unfortunately, I buy these equipment at least 10 times more than the fees you receive. I just don't want to be judged.
I have a few combinations in my mind.
And I'm setting up a home studio. Equipment such as microphone, reference monitor will be purchased. Respectively.

1-)OctaMic XTC     +   Adi 2 Pro Fs
2-)Ufx+                +   Adi 2 Pro Fs
3-)?QuadMic II        + Adi 2 Pro Fs

which ? ?

5 (edited by Mithatgam 2020-03-25 21:24:59)

I currently live in another city, not in my own home. Because I live in another city to learn mix and mastering. I have a room, although the soundproofing is not professionally done. The most expensive equipment is not the best sound. I know that.
But this is not something that will happen all of a sudden. The product you bought for 10000 units is 70000 units in our country. I'm trying to do something. But over time. I have no financial strength to do it all at once. And this does not include taxes.

6 (edited by ramses 2020-03-25 21:27:51)

EDIT: I rephrased because we might have had a misunderstanding.

I leave it over to you how many money you want to spend.
But don't forget, good sound does not primarily come from Mic Preamps and converters.

But I can understand, that you want to buy good equipment along with quality you usually get
more features and have at the end more options. And RME devices are also very comfortably to handle.
Not to forget sustainability of purchase .. the devices have high value for a long time, because of the
quality and long driver updates. For some devices already 19y. This is outstanding and unique in the market.

You need 1st of all a recording interface with TotalMix FX as a basement, so only option 2) makes real sense.

The UFX+ alone will be sufficient to you. If you want you can combine with ADI-2 Pro / * and ARC USB.
But there is no real necessity for that.

You can expand it later by adding more preamps to the MADI bus (64ch @44.1/48, 32ch @88.2/96).
Very comfortably is MIDI over MADI feature.

If you want to expand the amount of Mic Pres via MADI, then you can either choose the old XTC
or the newer product 12Mic which has MADI and an optional SFP slot for AVB (and 12 channels).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is what I do ..
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -DURec-DE/

and several articles about my evolving setup or simply ideas / proposals for setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cbersicht/

I want to say that it is impossible to access adequate information in turkey. That's why I wrote in this forum. I have never been spoiled by the Adi 2 Pro. I didn't think it was bad. I think I'll get ufx +. So which preampi should I add to this record chain? And which microphone?

https://soundcloud.com/mithaat

I have my own recorded songs here.
A few years ago with steinberg ur22 and rode nt2a.

The UFX+ has already 4 very nice preamps. Are 4 preamps not sufficient for you ? How many do you need ?

10 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-25 21:59:47)

For a recording situation RME's "TotalMix FX" might make the difference, OctaMic XTC doesn't have it.

So Fireface UFX+ could maybe completely replace one of your ADI-2 Pro FS, if 4 mic inputs are sufficient.
UFX+, as beeing the much more current option, is likely more future-proof.

For just one mic this solution is overkill.
Any good mic pre would do.

I talked to a few music vendors. They said preamp is necessary even if you buy me the best sound card in the world. I'm just asking to find out. Otherwise, a microphone is enough for me.

12 (edited by ramses 2020-03-25 22:11:02)

The UFX+ has four preamps. Do you mean a dedicated preamp ?

If you are unable to record and produce with the preamps of the UFX+ then you have IMHO
a different (more severe) problem than not the proper preamp.

I know, there are fine preamps which cost alone €2000+, but do you really think this is required ???
I have some doubts.
I would 1st start with the UFX+ and a good suitable mic, gain experience and then see ...

If you only want to work with external dedicated preamps, then you need analog inputs not mic preamps like XTC.

Tbh .. I do do not see yet a proper concept / structure from what you write.

ramses wrote:

The UFX+ has four preamps. Do you mean a dedicated preamp ?

If you are unable to record and produce with the preamps of the UFX+ then you have IMHO
a different (more severe) problem than not the proper preamp.

Yes. custom preamp. Like Neve avalon etc. I think I won't need them?!

14 (edited by ramses 2020-03-25 22:27:33)

Edited: Sorry, I am getting out of this thread. My last advice, think twice before spending so much money, if you do not have a solid background of what you really need. This I can't tell you from remote / from this distance. Work with people together who are close to you and fully understand your demand (according to your skill).

You know already now that an UFX+ is not sufficient for you ... but all you know is by hearsay from some people where nobody knows what you told them and what they told you.

All I see is that you worked up to now with inexpensive equipment and now overshoot into the the complete other extreme.

Sorry but this is too extreme for me ... stick with the guys, who initiated all that, but do not look for an amen from my side.
For me its very strange, that somebody who worked before with consumer entry level environment wants to know,
that an UFX+ is not sufficient for him ... go for it .. simply do .. its only money.

ramses wrote:

Sorry, I am getting out of this thread. My last advice, think twice before spending so much money, if you do not have a solid background of what you really need. This I can't tell you from remote / from this distance. Work with people together who are close to you and fully understand your demand (according to your skill).

You said what I needed. Thank you.

You're welcome, all the best for the future.

17 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-25 22:44:13)

Mithatgam wrote:

I talked to a few music vendors. They said preamp is necessary even if you buy me the best sound card in the world. I'm just asking to find out. Otherwise, a microphone is enough for me.

You don't need a soundcard, ADI-2 (or UFX+) does this job via USB.
"Vendors" - these people want to sell.

What does make a difference is a good compressor, which is part of TotalmixFX.

thank you for helping me. I really learned something. I may have seemed like a madman wanting to spend money. It's not like that. If only one job is to be done, it should be done in the best way. I believe it. I would like to establish the best chain of records in my financial situation. Sufficient system could be installed with Ufx + and adi 2 pro. I learned.

19 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-25 22:45:07)

I'm an Audio Pro for more then 3 decades now and could do a whole prof. production just with the UFX+, a PC, two pairs of headphones and some good mics.

Whithout the ADI-2!

KaiS wrote:

I'm an Audio Pro for more then 3 decades now and could do a whole prof. production just with the UFX+, a PC, two pairs of headphones and some good mics.

Whithout the ADI-2!

I understand. Unfortunately, I have neither experience nor knowledge as you. You are the master of this business.

21 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-25 22:59:58)

But you have time and patience to experiment.

The most important part when doing music production - have emotions and try express them during recording.

1% more emotions surpasses 100% better equipment.

KaiS wrote:

But you have time and patience to experiment.

The most important part when doing music production - have emotions and try express them during recording.

1% more emotions beats 100% better equipment.

I understand, hopefully it will improve myself. Someday I can help somebody as you help me.