Topic: UFX+ with DA conversion by ADI-2 Pro - override on Main Out

I use a UFX+ as Audio-interface and I'm just testing an ADI-2 Pro. I realized the stupid described under http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … our-Setup/.

Two things I didn't understand:
1. There was no sound coming out of my speakers until I activated the cue-button on phones 2 in Total Mix (which caused the Mains_out in Total Mix to disappear.
2. When playing music from the PC an override occurred on both the Phones 2 and Main-out.

Re: UFX+ with DA conversion by ADI-2 Pro - override on Main Out

I expect 'stupid' was meant to be 'setup'?

What is the driver version and TotalMix FX version that you use?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I expect 'stupid' was meant to be 'setup'?

What is the driver version and TotalMix FX version that you use?

Uuups ... yes should be "setup" ...

Driver version:

Adi-2 Pro: 98
UFX+: 3.16 / Firmwarev51

Total mix 1.64

3.16? Is that an older Mac driver?

1. This description seems wrong. The Main Out channels in the Control Room Section will not disappear when you click Cue on another channel. The signal of that other channel is routed to the channel that has been set as Cue destination in the Assign dialog.

2. I thought this is a Mac? Do you mean overload (red LEDs in the level meters)? That's quite normal for hot levelled music.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

1. This description seems wrong. The Main Out channels in the Control Room Section will not disappear when you click Cue on another channel. The signal of that other channel is routed to the channel that has been set as Cue destination in the Assign dialog.

2. I thought this is a Mac? Do you mean overload (red LEDs in the level meters)? That's quite normal for hot levelled music.

Older Mac driver? No, but i am not really sure where to read out driver versions. But i always keep my drivers up-to-date. As far as I know there is a USB driver, a TB driver and the firmware.

1. I assigned the Main to AES. Then this channel disappeared (has been hidden). No sound until I activated "CUE" in the Phones 2 channel.

2. Yes, it's a Mac. Yes I mean overload.

The driver version is right there in front of your eyes in the Settings dialog.

1. AES did not disappear. It moved into the Control Room section and became the Mains Out. The channel that was formerly Mains Out moved back into the Hardware Outputs section. Try that a few times. And when you have no sound then you have not routed/mixed anything to that specific output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thanks! I updated to USB driver version 3.18.

Ok, now I got it.

Thank you! Stay healthy!

MC wrote:

Older Mac driver? No, but i am not really sure where to read out driver versions. But i always keep my drivers up-to-date. As far as I know there is a USB driver, a TB driver and the firmware.

1. I assigned the Main to AES. Then this channel disappeared (has been hidden). No sound until I activated "CUE" in the Phones 2 channel.

2. Yes, it's a Mac. Yes I mean overload.

When you assign a channel as "Main", it neither disappears nor is it hidden. It just moves to the control room section.
What is assigned as "Phones 2" and "no sound" where exactly?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

When you assign a channel as "Main", it neither disappears nor is it hidden. It just moves to the control room section.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I didn't assign a channel as main which then disappeared. I assigned the Main (formerly assigned to Analog 3/4) to AES and then the Main disappeared. It appeared again when I accidently hit one of the layout buttons.

Phones 2 is assigned to Phones 11/12 ... 
When I connected the ADI-2 Pro to the UFX+ for the first time and assigned Main to AES I got no sound until I hit the CUE-Button on Phones 2.

RME Support wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yesterday I used the ADI-2 Pro as a USB-Interface first. Later on I switched back to my setup with the UFX+ connected to the ADI by AES to do the DA conversion.

TMFX showed the same behaviour as described before, as soon as I assigned AES output to the Main channel the Main disappeared from the control room. When I click on "All" in the layout section it shows up again. No problem so far but when I assigned AES output to Main the fader was dropped, no sound. If you are not aware of this behaviour you don't know what's going on ...

Another subject ... when I would like to benefit from the ADIs better AD conversion how could I do this in combination with my UFX+? As there is always a AD conversion behind all analog inputs and it would result in a second conversion stage ...

Through one of the digital outputs into a digital in on the ufx. Does not matter which one you choose.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

vinark wrote:

Through one of the digital outputs into a digital in on the ufx. Does not matter which one you choose.

Yes but I don't have any analog mic preamps so I have to use the ones from the UFX+.  But it means that I can 't avoid converting twice.

That's how I set it up. But that means there is DA conversion only.

no .. look you have 1 D/A conversion and this is always the case ...
If you record with your UFX+ then there will always be an AD conversion.
Then inside the routing matrix and also during digital transfer the digitized data will always stay the same .....
Then Finally at the ADI-2 Pro the D/A conversion happens through Monitors or Phones.

Mic----->AN9in---UFX---ADAT/AES----->ADAT/AES---ADI-2 Pro---AN1/2----->Active monitor
             AD conversion         digital transfer                        DA conversion

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

no .. look you have 1 D/A conversion and this is always the case ...
If you record with your UFX+ then there will always be an AD conversion.
Then inside the routing matrix and also during digital transfer the digitized data will always stay the same .....
Then Finally at the ADI-2 Pro the D/A conversion happens through Monitors or Phones.

Mic----->AN9in---UFX---ADAT/AES----->ADAT/AES---ADI-2 Pro---AN1/2----->Active monitor
             AD conversion         digital transfer                        DA conversion

Thanks!
By saying there's only an DA-conversion I meant only DA-conversion by ADI-2 Pro but AD done by UFX+. So it's not possible to benefit from a better conversion unless I would have some analog Mic Pres connected to the analog ins of the ADI.

19 (edited by ramses 2020-04-11 07:53:27)

From pure technical data microphones have lesser SNR and higher THD compared to the Mic input of an UFX+ or the analog input of an ADI-2 Pro. The Mic preamps of the UFX+ are already very good. There is no reason not to choose them.
I see no requirement to add a preamp to your setup with the only goal to get the AD conversion of the ADI-2 Pro.

I would think about adding another Mic preamp if you want to color the sound during recording, to get i.e. Neve sound.
Then you have a preamp with analog outputs which you can connect to either UFX+ or ADI-2 Pro.

The main and audible difference will be in using another preamp and maybe an artist who is more motivated
if he knows he is being recorded through a Neve Preamp.

A good suitable Mic, good sounding/treated room, good performer have more and audible impact.
I think you are worrying too much in terms of decibel numbers.