Topic: Standby light Off?

Hi,

I just got the ADI-2 DAC and its a great piece of equipment. Smooth operation and good sound so thats great.
But...
There seems to be no option to disable the red standby-ring.
This might seem nitpicking but for me as a consumer (who this dac is aimed at) its a pretty big deal.
I just dont like light pollution at all (at night) and i don't want to attract techstuff attention with glowing lights.
It also attracts kids very much which could possibly lead to dangerous situations.

It SHOULD be possible to provide an option to disable the red light as its Off in "dark mode".
I don't want to leave it on in dark mode to achieve this goal and i don't want to put an extra switch between dac and power.

So could this option be implemented in a firmware update?
I know there's a logic behind it but it really annoys me and will make me return such a great DAC for a minor reason that could easily be fixed.

Thanks alot.
Cheers

Re: Standby light Off?

This functionality is hardwired and can not be changed by a firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ugh, so no way to adress this I guess...?

4 (edited by ramses 2020-03-29 12:57:09)

peer wrote:

Ugh, so no way to adress this I guess...?

It was actually quite understandably expressed, even the reason was told, that its technically impossible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-29 15:10:46)

You say you don't want to insert an extra switch into the powerline.

But - I guess there are enough wall warts and other devices with, instead of having real power switches, permanant standby power consumption, to justify the use of a centralized power strip with switch.

Depending on your configuration a strip with master-slave function, where one main device power-switches all others, would make the usage even more convienent then before.

It's good for your wallet, for the environment and might be good for your children too.

If it's one with surge protection it's good for the sound, as it protects your stuff from half- or totally breaking.
You would be astonished how many electronic chips still work, but don't perform to specs after a lightning struck nearby.

After installing power line surge protection in my studio equipment failure rate dropped by at least 75%!

At home I have split the switch areas into functional groups:
• Main speaker's power amps with crossover controller, equalizer and central audio distribution.
• Surround amp and auxilliaries.
• Minimal headphones setup incl. ADI-2 Pro.
• Big headphones setup with lots of interfaces/PSUs and amps
• Big headphones setup add-ons that are only used frequently.
Main and Surround is even under remote control, more convenient then individual switching!

When Im not using anything, power consumption is 1.5W - the cable TV box running in standby for the record timer.
This even serves for complete protection against selfdestruct, damage by power line incidents and fire events.

6 (edited by peer 2020-03-29 14:51:39)

Mh, pity.

I understand that it was designed like that (hardwired) and is therefore not adjustable via firmware, but thats a big design flaw imho.
Why would you introduce an (advertised) "lights out mode" in the new version of this dac to not bother the user with lights when its not possible to turn the light off when the unit is off.
Bummer.

Still a technically great dac.
Great responsiveness here too, so thanks for that.
I would strongly recommend to adress this issue in the next version, maybe via power switch at the back.

Cheers.

7 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-29 15:20:09)

Place a piece translucent green foil on top of the LED.
Red (Standby) will be absorbed, white (On) will glow green, fitting to the meter color.

Can use LEE Filter foil or just anything.

Hello Peer,

Kai makes an excellent point regarding the use of an external device that handles Power On/Off functions, as well as often providing a bit of Mains Filtration.   A simple $10 Power Strip can handle several devices, and when you flip the switch...it's Lights Out!    I've been doing it for years.  One Button, and all my Toys Power On/Off in sequence.   

Don't throw the Baby out with the Bathwater!  Yikes Man!   Put the ADI-2 DAC on a Power Strip, and Enjoy!   It's so simple....

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I dunno, not the biggest fan of putting a cheapo cable/switch inbetween.
I experienced rather extreme differences in sound presentation with different (quality) powercords/strips in my system so I dont want to change my current powersetup.

I also dont want to put funny paper on the device (sic!).

So... do I like the ADI-2 for its audio capabilities, ease if use, options? Yes I do.
Would I like it more if there would not be an ever glowing HAL's eye in my living room?
You bet.

10 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-29 17:18:52)

LEE Filter isn't paper but professional filter foil for pro lighting, like concerts, photographing etc.
You could cut an exactly fitting ring and stick it on top of the LED ring.

Give it a short try, I did, it works!

This - or live with the light smile

Usually I don't comment on this, but I can't restrain myself this time:
Please, no offending intended, but I would like to experience this "rather extreme differences in sound" with any audio cable too, not to mention with power cords.
If it was that simple to improve the sound... my life as Audio Engineer would be easier.

I have to admit, there was a difference when in my Studio I replaced the 25m weak 3x1.5sqmm power line feeding my 3kW Mixer PSUs with 5x10sqmm.

Simply because now the PSUs had their standard almost 220V line voltage, instead of 190V they had before and Mixer, Recorders, Amps and Aux Equipment got their own full voltage power lines then.
And there is no thin wire inbetween like in every typical household, the 5x10sqmm is connected directly to the 5x25sqmm entering the house.

Again, no offending intended and to each his own!
Get LEE Filter foil and some round punches or use a pair of metal-tipped compasses as cutter.

11 (edited by peer 2020-03-29 19:28:32)

Thanks Kai for your suggestions!
But I am not the biggest fan of tinkering with gear this way wink

Cables, well, I tested it and the differences where severe in my system (Power, IC, hp-cabling).
LCD-2C for example where unbearable veiled with AQ power chords.
Its also a matter of synergy i guess.

I don't recommend shelling out thousands of bucks for cabling, of course thats nonsense.
But decent cabling does have an effect (unfortunately because it does make things more complicated)
and can make it "just right".

Cheers.

12 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-29 18:56:59)

peer wrote:

The options are on the table.

Last option, but really not suggested:
let the ADI-2 be modified by internal disconnection of the red LED.
Costly, and warranty is gone then.

I solved a blinding light on my powered studiomonitors with a black felt marker smile
But that one is not touched for powering up, not an option on ADI-2.

You're not the only one with this problem, if you look through the forum.

Maybe I should start a business selling professionally manufactured (by me) ADI-2 LED self adhesive damping rings, $20 + shipping each wink

I would happily be your first customer big_smile

peer wrote:

I would happily be your first customer big_smile

You will be my beta-tester smile

15 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-30 01:13:17)

KaiS wrote:
peer wrote:

...Maybe I should start a business selling professionally manufactured (by me) ADI-2 LED self adhesive damping rings, $20 + shipping each wink

Kai?  $20?  Unusual times indeed, but Audio is no place for Charity. smile  The Audiophile Community would immediately dismiss the product as being unworthy.  With MY Marketing Prowess however, the Damper Ring would become a "Visual Stimuli Reduction Sphere" and be priced very reasonably at $200/ea.    The VSRS "Reference" significantly higher.  Get a few Reviewers on board, and take this concept straight to the Bank!  big_smile

We could have stopped at the 100% effective $10 Power Strip, but...it seems that was waaaay too easy. .   It is said that "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"    So it shall be! 

*Visa/Mastercard/Amex accepted.

Best!

Curt

PS:  It Puzzles me that this inoccuous little Red Ring on the RME Front Panel could possibly be of such concern.  It seems Sleeping with your ADI-2 DAC is a bit more unsettling.   Nonetheless, isn't this the SAME group who only several months ago were demanding MORE COLORS for the Display?   

Imagine the Outrage were RME to remove the Red Ring!!    There would be no end to the whining.  "How do I find the Power Switch in the Dark"???   

Similarly, there are no shortage of those wishing to insert all sorts of BS gadgets into the Data Path, whilst CRINGING at the thought of a Power Strip.   This does not Compute.  smile

Enough...

16 (edited by KaiS 2020-03-30 12:26:05)

smile
Funny enough, from a business point of view this $20 (although meant as a joke, you all got it) would just about cover the cost at best.

• I'd build a cutting tool on my lathe for clean and precise cuts,
• materials need to be obtained,
• the double sided sticky tape needs to be applied,
• the rings must be cut,
• needs to be packed and shipped.
• Then 5 people at best would buy it.
• money needs to be collected (I don't have an online shop).
• 2 people send it back for a refund because off ...
• tax needs to be paid.
The only place to sell it would be here, so Matthias might jump in and, with full right say: "No, not on my place" and so my children begin starving again smile

Joke aside, the first thing that puzzled me when I got my ADI-2 Pro was exactly that red ring.
Simply because it's much brighter then the usual red standby LEDs you find everywhere. Too bright for a bedroom e.g. I can imagine.

My solution can be found above - completely unpower ADI.
Seen from the energy saving aspect this is not absolutely necessary:
0.2W standby power equals to about 0.50€ per year.

Curt962 wrote:

PS:  It Puzzles me that this inoccuous little Red Ring on the RME Front Panel could possibly be of such concern.  It seems Sleeping with your ADI-2 DAC is a bit more unsettling.   Nonetheless, isn't this the SAME group who only several months ago were demanding MORE COLORS for the Display?   

Imagine the Outrage were RME to remove the Red Ring!!    There would be no end to the whining.  "How do I find the Power Switch in the Dark"???   

Similarly, there are no shortage of those wishing to insert all sorts of BS gadgets into the Data Path, whilst CRINGING at the thought of a Power Strip.   This does not Compute.  smile

Enough...

Hej Curt,

its a bright light that might prevent people from sleeping. It attracts unwanted attention. Its dangerous for kids.

Whats so hard to understand?

The device is targeted at home users, not studio, so this should have been taken into consideration.
There's more to audio equipment than tech facts and pretty graphs.

No need to make fun of it. It's a design (function AND form) flaw. One has to decide if its an acceptable one.

Best.
P

Just looked at a big HiFi online shop for DACs over $900 ... and looked at all the product pictures.
I do not think, that all these devices have LEDs, that can be turned of completely ...

tbvh .. if that is all and you have nothing more to complain about .. then RME has done an excellent job.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Just looked at a big HiFi online shop for DACs over $900 ... and looked at all the product pictures.
I do not think, that all these devices have LEDs, that can be turned of completely ...

tbvh .. if that is all and you have nothing more to complain about .. then RME has done an excellent job.

Sure they did, nobody claimed otherwise.

I don't see the point in your statement. So you think its a minor problem, I get it.
I and a lot of other users don't think so, for the reasons mentioned.

SPL is only one example with complete blackout (power switches at their back). Simple.

Ok by now its pretty clear that the answer to my question is: Its not possible.
I can accept that and will decide if i can live with it or find some workaround (or not).

I could live without those "So what?" statements though, tbh.

Thanks.
P

Peer,

Just plug your ADI-2 into a Power Strip.   This is a 100% Proven Solution to your matter, and can even be useful for Powering Up/Down multiple devices simultaneously.  Push One Button instead of 3 or 4.   I Promise!  It works perfectly!

Let's move on, and Enjoy this amazing device.

Best,

Curt

Sorry Curt, your solution is invalid, because its too easy wink

23 (edited by Curt962 2020-03-30 17:12:58)

Ja genau Ramses...  smile

I guess I'm just driven to focus upon, and enjoy the ADI-2 DAC's amazing capabilities, rather than find fault.   My Long-Used Mains-Minder/Filter/Switching device has been wonderful.   I only suggest to others that which works for me.    Simple!

Best to All

Curt

It amazes me how people get defensive to protect their purchase.

Btw, taken from the RME homepage:

"Licht aus! Ein Studio-Wandler ohne Beleuchtung? Kaputt. Aber für einen DAC war dies einer der von HiFi-Kunden am häufigsten geäußerten Wünsche beim ADI-2 Pro. Jetzt geht er in Erfüllung: Display, Funktionstasten, Lautstärkeregler, sogar die Standby-Taste - sie alle gehen nach 10 Sekunden ohne Benutzereingabe aus, wenn AutoDark im Menü des Geräts aktiviert ist."
...buuut not when its off, sorry big_smile

btw, listening to it right now, sounds great.

p

Peer,

We're not being defensive. Rather, we're simply applying common tools, readily available to all.   Removing Power from your ADI-2DAC, will ensure that this allegedly offensive light shines no more during periods of non-use.   Understand that role of the Forum is to investigate REAL user issues, rather than these non-issues which are manufactured during periods of boredom. smile   Get it?

Peace Dude.

Curt

Curt,

yor're indeed very defensive. Not wanting to see design flaws and saying "so what" over and over again is defensive.
And annoying as hell. And leads to nothing.

Nobody is interested in your destructive comments.

I am out of this discussion.

p