Topic: Babyface isn't recognised on multiple windows machines. Linux no probs

I have 2 windows pc's on which my babyface is no longer recognised. One of them indicates a driver issue while the other doesn't even notice it has been plugged in. Both pc's have been working fine for years with the babyface, neither of them have run any windows updates for years, both more or less running straight win7 sp1.

I have updated, downgraded, uninstalled, reinstalled various drivers to no avail. Tried different leads, external power supply, switch to cc mode, most everything I can think of.

It works just fine on my linux pc though. Does anybody have any idea what this could indicate?

I'll accept as a possibility that both my windows machines have simultaneously developed a catastrophic failure, but of course I believe that to be ridiculously unlikely.
But it seems equally unlikely to me that a hardware fault would render the babyface useless to windows but not linux.

I truly don't understand. Does anybody have any ideas? even a stab in the dark.

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-03-30 02:34:26)

Re: Babyface isn't recognised on multiple windows machines. Linux no probs

Hello!

Since you use your computers for a long time(without formatting, I guess), perhaps the USB Drivers that windows can install, have reached their maximum(I think it's 100).
Windows, even, install the same driver for a device as many times as you connect it to a different port!

Here's the process on how to clean them:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/remove-o … s-windows/

Then, you can re-install the BF's driver, again, and check!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

I hope you switched back to PC mode for Windows use?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for both of the suggestions guys!

Unfortunately the driver solution didn't work.

I have switched it back and forth between driver and cc mode with no effect. At least the device indicates I have done so. Having said that, it makes no difference on the linux machine either, so is that perhaps the issue?

If the unit says that it switched modes then it did. Sounds more like the USB port is defective or similar.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

@lordofgrug

Hmm, did you upgrade from a driver with TotalMix to a driver with TotalMixFX, maybe?
If so then have a look at the last two posts from this thread:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=24030

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632