1 (edited by David10 2020-02-21 14:27:02)

Topic: ADI-2 DAC - Remote power button stopped working

Hey. Remote power button stopped working. (All other remote buttons work fine)
I'm not sure if this is connected, but before firmware update (from v32 to v33) power button worked fine.

I bought a device yesterday and use the first day.
Please help.

Re: ADI-2 DAC - Remote power button stopped working

Do you still have an older formware updater somewhere? If not, I can try to dig up one for a test next week.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by David10 2020-02-21 15:00:44)

No. I just downloaded the update from the site and updated it.
I don't know where to download the previous version (v32).

The green light on the remote also doesn't light when I'm pressing the power button.

Is it a physical problem in the remote control or a software problem?

If MC doesn't see this over the weekend, send me an email next week and I'll get the older version for a test. But so far, this is the first I hear of such a phenomeon.

Regards
D. Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by David10 2020-02-21 15:23:50)

I posted video on Youtube with the problem. Check it.

https://youtu.be/crLybSuGNPg

Have you tried press it longer? The unit goes off after 2 or 3 seconds pushing the button.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

7 (edited by David10 2020-02-21 17:01:03)

James wrote:

Have you tried press it longer? The unit goes off after 2 or 3 seconds pushing the button.

Of course. No reaction at all.
Even the green light on the remote doesn't light when I'm pressing the power button.

David10 wrote:
James wrote:

Of course. No reaction at all.
Even green light on the remote doesn't light when I'm pressing the power button.

I will let RME answer to that, but the button seems not OK... For me, it is not firmware related.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

James wrote:

I will let RME answer to that, but the button seems not OK... For me, it is not firmware related.

Of course I'll wait the answer from RME, cause it's so annoying.
I'm using the device only first day!

I also have a adi-2 dac, about a week old, it has v34 preloaded... wonder what the difference is...

fenrik wrote:

I also have a adi-2 dac, about a week old, it has v34 preloaded... wonder what the difference is...

How is this possible? The latest version that can be downloaded from the site is v33.

This is not a firmware problem, and your video is unclear on a simple point: if the battery in the remote is not providing full voltage, the remote will show different kinds of failures. For example holding the volume button for a longer time to change from 0 dB down to -90 dB will not work. Did you intentionally perform only small voilume changes or is the remote stopping quickly to send volume commands? If so a new battery could bring yours back to full operation.

When it's not the battery consult your dealer or the local RME distributor to exchange the remote.

V 34 had been explained in this forum already, it includes no changes, only adds code for a different display that will be used sometime in the future, because the current one is no longer available then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by David10 2020-02-22 06:20:13)

MC wrote:

This is not a firmware problem, and your video is unclear on a simple point: if the battery in the remote is not providing full voltage, the remote will show different kinds of failures. For example holding the volume button for a longer time to change from 0 dB down to -90 dB will not work. Did you intentionally perform only small voilume changes or is the remote stopping quickly to send volume commands? If so a new battery could bring yours back to full operation.

When it's not the battery consult your dealer or the local RME distributor to exchange the remote.

V 34 had been explained in this forum already, it includes no changes, only adds code for a different display that will be used sometime in the future, because the current one is no longer available then.

The battery is new. I'm using the DAC only the first day.
For the first half of the day the power button worked fine,
then it just stopped working with no reason and even the green
indicator stopped responding when pressing this button.
It looks like a defective item. My friend bought this card for me in US,
and I live in Israel. How can I change? Is there an international warranty?
Can I contact a service in my country and will they change my remote control?

The remote control was an important criterion for me when choosing
this particular DAC and I am disappointed that it happened.
I would be happy to just use and enjoy the product, but I can't because of this problem.

I am attaching a new HD video to make it more clear.
https://youtu.be/qW2yXOioc4E

Regards,
D. Polonskiy

You should contact RME support directly (see above) to see how they can help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You should contact RME support directly (see above) to see how they can help.

Ok. Thanks!

RME Support wrote:

If MC doesn't see this over the weekend, send me an email next week and I'll get the older version for a test. But so far, this is the first I hear of such a phenomeon.

Regards
D. Fuchs
RME

Sent an email

If it's not a firmware issue, there's not much I can do. Please contact the retailer or local RME distributor.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

- the last shipment of remotes that we received was returned to the manufacturer as they did not meet our quality requirements.

And what about those who have already bought a new DAC with a defective remote control, how did this happen to me?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30214

Sent an email today to RME Support and I am waiting for a solution to this problem.

David, you are quite overblowing your issue. The remote worked when you got it, so there was no easy way to guess that just one button might stop working in the near future. And how many more posts do you see on defective remotes? I don't see any. Just relax and wait, your remote will most probably be exchanged some way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

David, you are quite overblowing your issue. The remote worked when you got it, so there was no easy way to guess that just one button might stop working in the near future. And how many more posts do you see on defective remotes? I don't see any. Just relax and wait, your remote will most probably be exchanged some way.

Ok. I am relaxed and waiting.

21 (edited by David10 2020-02-28 14:35:22)

MC wrote:

Just relax and wait, your remote will most probably be exchanged some way.

I was relaxed and waited and here is the answer I received from RME Support:

RME Support wrote:

If it's not a firmware issue, there's not much I can do. Please contact the retailer or local RME distributor.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

My friend bought this DAC for me in US, and I live in Israel.
How can I change? Is there an international warranty?
Can I contact a service in my country and will they exchange my RC?

How can I get working remote control?! sad

22 (edited by Curt962 2020-02-29 11:45:11)

David,

As MC has stated several times.. Relax!

Trans-Shipping Goods from one Sales Region to another can get complicated when Warranty Matters are involved.  ALL Mfrs are quite clear about this in their Terms of Warranty Statements.   (ie:  If you purchased your device in Timbuktu...All warranty matters will be processed through the distributor there).  At the moment,   This situation is currently being compounded somewhat by the fact that RME has suspended shipping that device temporarily over QC concerns.  That should be completely understandable, as users have come to expect ONLY RME Quality, and nothing less. 

When that matter is resolved, it may be best for you to manage your Warranty Claim in the US.    I KNOW IsraeliPost EMS moves at Rocket Speed!    When I here in the US can get the expanded remote for my DAC?  I just bet you will too!!

In the interim...the rest of your Remote is A-OK.  Simply use the Device Front Panel to turn the unit On/Off.  Once per day maybe?   .  A bit of face-time with your DAC, and exercise is good. smile

Here's a bit of Sage Advice from the 1980s..."Push the Button"!!  smile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OJd22xoSTNM

Best to You,

Shalom! 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

23 (edited by David10 2020-02-29 13:40:56)

Curt962 wrote:

David,

As MC has stated several times.. Relax!

Trans-Shipping Goods from one Sales Region to another can get complicated when Warranty Matters are involved.  ALL Mfrs are quite clear about this in their Terms of Warranty Statements.   (ie:  If you purchased your device in Timbuktu...All warranty matters will be processed through the distributor there).  At the moment,   This situation is currently being compounded somewhat by the fact that RME has suspended shipping that device temporarily over QC concerns.  That should be completely understandable, as users have come to expect ONLY RME Quality, and nothing less. 

When that matter is resolved, it may be best for you to manage your Warranty Claim in the US.    I KNOW IsraeliPost EMS moves at Rocket Speed!    When I here in the US can get the expanded remote for my DAC?  I just bet you will too!!

In the interim...the rest of your Remote is A-OK.  Simply use the Device Front Panel to turn the unit On/Off.  Once per day maybe?   .  A bit of face-time with your DAC, and exercise is good. smile

Curt

I can’t relax when no one says anything specific. Nobody has told me so far that the remote will definitely be replaced by a working one. No one said that. What's the problem of saying that as soon as we get remotes of normal quality, we will replace your defective remote? But no. Anything, but not that. Jokes, exaggerations, brushing off, silly tips and links to songs. This is not what I expected from the support of a RME company. I need a clear answer, will my RC be replaced or not?! I didn’t come here for fun, and I don’t have time for this. You don't how know exactly I use the DAC and yes, I need a power button on the RC. The remote control was an important criterion for me when choosing this DAC. What's not clear here?

Regards,
David

24 (edited by ramses 2020-02-29 13:54:43)

see below

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

David,

The point made by MC last weekend was that a definitive Date/Time for the MRC Remote availablility was not yet precisely clear.   That's ALL any of us here know.   Those of us who'd like to purchase one as an accessory for our older DACs are equally affected.   We will ALL have access to one soon, but not at THIS moment.  They DON'T EXIST.

We're all disappointed when another has difficulties, but my word.  You need to stop with the "Victim" thing.   Im certain your matter will be resolved when it is POSSIBLE to do so.  Kapiche??

Curt

ramses wrote:

> This is not what I expected from the support of a RME company.

Then please ask support (support@..), this is a public user forum.

I sent 2 emails to this email: forumsupport@rme-audio.de  a week ago and didn't receive any response.
Support in the person of Daniel Fuchs answers me only in this thread of the forum.

27 (edited by ramses 2020-02-29 14:01:15)

If I understood your case correctly ...

I am not sure whether this is also applicable to RME, but ... its usual practice that you get 1st service service in your country only for products that have been bought in your country.

Otherwise everybody would buy online in countries where the devices are cheap or would ask his friend whether he can carry it in his flight luggage (to avoid customs, which is btw illegal (not claiming here that you actually did this))...

So if you look for something like Goodwill support, then it should be clear that asking for something like this on a public forum is potentially not the best idea, because then everyone would invoke it.

And maybe a general remark: currently Corona virus makes difficulties worldwide. I could think of that all companies, also RME, are very busy these days to get new products kicked out for us customers, take care about deliveries and this and that...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

If I understood your case correctly ...

I am not sure whether this is also applicable to RME, but ... its usual practice that you get 1st service service in your country only for products that have been bought in your country.

Otherwise everybody would buy online in countries where the devices are cheap or would ask his friend whether he can carry it in his flight luggage (to avoid customs, which is btw illegal (not claiming here that you actually did this))...

So if you look for something like Goodwill support, then it should be clear that asking for something like this on a public forum is potentially not the best idea, because then everyone would invoke it.

And maybe a general remark: currently Corona virus makes difficulties worldwide. I could think of that all companies, also RME, are very busy these days to get new products kicked out for us customers, take care about deliveries and this and that...

I understand that this is not a standard situation and therefore I turned to the forum for help, hoping that they would understand the situation and be able to solve the problem. I thought that the quality of the goods is important for the manufacturer and he will help solve this problem even if he is not obliged to do so. I honestly said that I was not physically in US and couldn't replace the product under warranty. I didn't violate any law, because it's possible to transport goods across the border for private use. My friend and I have a small home recording studio. It would be a illegal if I were taking the goods for resale. I understand about the coronovirus and about supply problems and don't ask for a replacement right now. All I wanted was to understand if the remote control would be replaced when it became possible or not. That's all. You can say that this is my problem and you cannot help me with this. This will also be the answer that I'll understand.

29 (edited by ramses 2020-02-29 16:07:54)

> I understand that this is not a standard situation and therefore I turned to the forum for help,
> hoping that they would understand the situation and be able to solve the problem.

It should be evident that a user forum is no official support channel.

> I thought that the quality of the goods is important for the manufacturer and he will help
> solve this problem even if he is not obliged to do so.

You can be sure that the quality of goods is important to RME therefore RME has many satisfied customers.
And .. you seem to be the only person having the issue with one knob on a remote.

You should keep in mind that 100% quality can't be reached in industrial manufacuring, otherwise prices would
escalate and no customer would be willed to pay such high prices.

The functionality of the converter is not impacted by this, so the problem is luckily not so severe.

> I honestly said that I was not physically in US and couldn't replace the product under warranty.
> I didn't violate any law, because it's possible to transport goods across the border for private use.

But this has limitations, otherwise I would also buy my Accuphase in Japan, claiming its for private use
and save a lot of money. I think then its impossible to get i.e. support from the dealer in the other country.
And tbh this would also be highly unfair.

AFAIK at a certain price or type of product you need to declare goods at customs if they have been bought abroad with the intention to import them into another country.

What I wanted to tell you by this is .. it can always be the case that something breaks. For this reason its better to buy a device in the country where you live in, because then everything in terms of service might be much easier.

> You can say that this is my problem and you cannot help me with this. This will also be the answer that I'll understand.

I can only comment as end-user to your posting, but what I see is that you use this forum only to build up pressure and to get more attention, but not to communicate with the vendor in an appropriate way.

I don't need attention at all. All I wanted was to use and enjoy the product. If everything would be normal this forum thread would simply not exist. I already understood that the RC will not be replaced. By the way, it would be correct to specify that the remote control is Chinese, not German made. Nothing is said about this on the product page. But thanks anyway for the help and the time spent.

Regards,
David

I forwarded your mail to the international distributor, Audio AG. We'll see what can be done.
Have you or your friend ever tried to contact the original retailer or Synthax in the US?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

I forwarded your mail to the international distributor, Audio AG. We'll see what can be done.
Have you or your friend ever tried to contact the original retailer or Synthax in the US?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, I tried to contact, but received no reply.
Thanks for help.

Hello,

please send me a mail if you haven't resolved the issue yet.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Without wishing to gatecrash this thread, may I just add that I also have this issue with my remote - it's very erratic in usage and I often just adjust settings on the DAC itself. Also, I have to say - and again, just a passing observation - the customer service response on this thread is oddly dismissive, if not somewhat unprofessional. As far as I can tell, the chap was simply asking for clarification on an issue. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but the insistence on relaxing doesn't really emit the best impression. RME make outstanding products but if I was a potential buyer reading over many of these forum posts, I'd probably have second thoughts.

I've owned an ADI-2 DAC for about six months, and it's been superb. (I recently purchased a Beyerdynamic DT 1990 headphone, and the parametric equalizer allowed me to tame the the headphone's overemphasis at around 8 kHz and generally tweak the frequency response to my liking.)

I've been lurking about and have learned a lot from this forum. I just wanted to mention my experience with the remote control for my unit. After about two weeks, the remote stopped controlling the unit. I popped out the battery and found that the voltage was too low. Assuming that it came with a bad battery, I replaced the battery. After another two weeks, that battery died. I tried one more time, and the same thing happened.

When I contacted RME's distributor in the U.S., they were very responsive. They immediately shipped out a new remote and didn't even ask me to return the defective one. The replacement remote has worked flawlessly.

Since I didn't need to return the defective remote, I opened up the remote and saw what appeared to be some solder overspray. It's possible that this was causing a short that was draining the battery. (Don't open up the remote or the unit unless you want to void your warranty.)

So my experience with RME support was very positive.

36 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-02 15:24:55)

Sweatshop,

Nice commentary.   Thanks for that, as this is the Normal User Support which RME makes available to all customers. But.. I would just like to know where these "extra" Expanded Remotes are Stashed!  smile

I want one for myself! 

Thanks for Posting!

Curt

Well, at least we got them back in! Starting to ship the units with remote again. The 'accessory' remote with additional packaging is also on its way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

38 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-02 18:21:38)

Great News MC!

Viele Dank!!

Curt

See Folks?  In spite of a Global Crisis...RME finds a Solution. 

Enjoy!!!