1 (edited by tcb_38 2020-04-02 20:48:37)

Topic: Roon integration for ADI-2, PLEASE

Hello,
I'm wondering if RME is planing to make ADI-2 Roon compatible?
I understand that RME is more of a professional side but with ADI-2 becoming available I hope RME will look at the Roon as a serious software partner.
Stay Safe Inside.

Re: Roon integration for ADI-2, PLEASE

It should be obvious that there is neither network support nor a CPU for streaming services inside the unit. Adding Roon is simple and not expensive, for example see here:

https://www.lowbeats.de/diy-roon-bridge … -110-euro/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by KaiS 2021-05-04 20:43:45)

I always get dizzy when I read this pseudo-reviews (lower down on that page) about the different sound of different digital connections containing the same data.
To me this is discrediting an otherwise interesting project.

Sidenote:
I do a lot of A/B comparisons between different converters, amplifiers and other stuff.

I always do an exact level alignment, with a precision of up to 1/100dB, and always take measures to have a direct switching between A and B, usually blind so I don't know which one is which.

As long as nothing is broken and used within specs:
Differences between different electronic components exist, but are so minor that they are hard to detect and even harder to describe.

I even do the hardest thinkable test for AD/DA converters all the time in my recording studio on a daily basis as part of my job:
Comparing the original analog signal as it comes from the instruments or vocal, vs. AD/DA-ed through my DAW, this path running through different cables:
Result: no discernible difference even at 44.1/24bit!

For me it simply boils down to this:

Today it's fashionable in the audio department, in reviews, to swap cables, compare headphones on different amplifiers and on and on.
Of course, “there must be a difference” because everybody else is reporting differences.

If you don't report differences of (even digital!) cable's sound you are out of fashion.

These comparisons are made under shady circumstances, never true blind A/B (even if such would be simple with headphones on amplifiers), mostly with uncalibrated levels — but driven by the belief that the more expensive must be better.

I get angry when I think about how much money is spent to those cony-catcher selling cheap cables for huge amounts of money.

When this all started I invited some of those frauds, offering me cables and stuff,  for comparisons, but when I told them I will do true blind A/B none of them ever showed up here.

BTW: the first one tried to sell me mediocre microphones that couldn't hold a candle against my high class stuff.
As this did not work, he tried to sell me one meter power cables that would, as he explained, change my world of hearing.
He switched the cables on my studio monitors, no audible difference.
Then we change positions, I switched the cables and, of course, he could not determine which one was his and which one the standard powerline cables I normally use.

Please do not reply on this posting, I do not want to start a war!
I just had to get this off my chest.

Invitation:
Everybody is invited to come to my studio and proof the contrary, under controlled conditions in true blind A/B tests.

4 (edited by tcb_38 2020-04-03 16:15:35)

I'm sorry but I failed to see how the link provided help with my question.....
Just try to connect ADI-2 to a Roon system which will report that is not recognized, therefore not able to communicate and offer DA conversion capability. I am using a SOtM network bridge.

MC wrote:

It should be obvious that there is neither network support nor a CPU for streaming services inside the unit. Adding Roon is simple and not expensive, for example see here:

https://www.lowbeats.de/diy-roon-bridge … -110-euro/

I'm sorry but I fail to see what this new information has to do with your opening post.

If the SOtM doesn't see the DAC when connected via USB, then most probably you forgot to set the DAC into Class Compliant mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

SOtM have no problem seeing the dac and everything is playing just fine. Roon report the dac as "unidentified device"
Is there any way to attach a picture to show what am I talking? Can't find it or I'm not allowed being new here?

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by KaiS 2020-04-03 18:36:36)

For pictures you need an external service, I used this free one, works without account:
https://imgbb.online/

Dropbox didn't work for me, even after modding the link URL.

KaiS wrote:

Strange, it works for me all the time without any issues.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by tcb_38 2020-04-03 18:58:07)

Here is:
I edit the name. Roon only listed as serial number device.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ExuSPK … sp=sharing

KaiS wrote:
ramses wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Strange, it works for me all the time without any issues.

Maybe you have a paid volume.
Doesn't bother me, anyway I don't want to host these pictures on my Dropbox forever.

No, I am not spending any money for smth like this. It space becomes tight then I delete some files.

But its up to you, whether you want to give it a chance or not.

At the end with dropbox you can use this "dl=1" trick, so that graphics show up directly when somebody reads a thread.
With cloud storage from T-Systems that you get along with your DSL / VDSL offering this is sadly not possible.
Seems that they want to save Bandwidth...
And this seems to be the issue with other offerings was well. Therefore I recommend Dropbox.

Can we go back on track,please? I post a link showing a Roon result.

13 (edited by ramses 2020-04-03 20:59:25)

KaiS wrote:

Ok, here I try again, a Dropbox icon hosted on Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7y7z440outcz8w/Dropbox%20icon.jpg?dl=1

You see, no picture.
Changed dl=1

Ok last comment in this thread...

@tcb ... sorry for hijacking this thread, but it was actually for supporting you .. so pls do not complain too loud, many thanks.

The URLs that you generate look very different to mine:

You: "https://uc28bfcb0f17af6b3a6141bf89b3.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/cd/0/get/A1Le9jFVce6pLwPHSYHy0eAxxhO2MGWW7Hd5_0UHvUrzIzqPl06hnnbS9-jU7ArnUN7zXUIRJcZWSr-sSqcrtzS7qodr-iCvxT-R5DBT9fOPC4SBsZafUPWrO2MLZC98rWs/file?dl=1"

Mine: "https://www.dropbox.com/s/syy0s9ytmnpq4i9/2020-04-03%2021_45_34-forum.jpg?dl=1"

Do you also see the green "ok" boxes that indicate that the file is on dropbox ready for sharing ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syy0s9ytmnpq4i9/2020-04-03%2021_45_34-forum.jpg?dl=1

You need to rightclick to a file, select share and then create the link.
But there are also general settings in the "linksettings" whether "everybody" is allowed to see the file.

14 (edited by Siemak 2020-04-03 21:22:09)

Hi guys.

This is what I digged out about Roon tested DACs on Roon website:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_partner_programs

I'm using Roon, Node as endpoint and ADI-2 DAC. I understand that ADI is USB DAC and can't work as networked endpoint.

But I'm curious what means "Roon tested DACs".   

quote:

..."Roon Tested DACs
We want Roon to work with all the hardware out there, but most importantly, we want our users to have confidence that the products they have (or are considering buying) will work well with Roon. To achieve that, we came up with a second hardware partner program called "Roon Tested". We need to have a working relationship with the manufacturer to make this happen.

The idea is that we test various manufacturers' audio endpoints with Roon, using a much more rigorous test than any normal user would. The manufacturer also tests Roon with their product, and makes sure we don't do anything bad to their endpoint. Because the manufacturer has provided us with their hardware, we can test our software against every device when we make new releases.

A few USB and networked audio products out there do some special in-app stuff when you hook them up to Roon. They're identified in Signal Path and the zone selector, and Roon can identify the product, support extra features, provide links to the manufacturer website and the product's manual, and so on...

If your favorite product is not showing up as Roon Tested, contact your manufacturer and tell them to get it tested. We only can test what we have in our possession. Feel free to link them to this post"....

Thanks Siemak for help :-)
This is what I was asking RME for.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Partner_Devices_Matrix
The ADI-2 Pro is in the list of Roon Tested USB Devices.
But I’m not sure it shows up as such when connected.

I can't believe that RME send only the the Pro version and not also the regular ADI-2.........
Weird

In reality it doesn't mean that much (since it works), but it would be nice indeed that Roon identified the DAC.

Anything about RME sending ADI-2 dac to Roon,Please?

ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC are just outpiut devices.

I have no doubt they run with Roon on any plattform, PC (Win), Apple (MacOS), Linux as long as Roon runs on these plattforms.

So the needed setup is: Storage(for Files)-Computer-Roon(or any Player like foobar, JRiver,Audirvana, Amarra, DAW etc)-ADI-2 Pro & ADI-2 DAC-Speaker/Headphone.

Rather straightforward.

With a Roon transport (eg the Raspberry Pi Matthias linked above, or any hifi transport with digital out) it's easy to get audio from Roon into the ADI-2.
However, one bit of functionality is missing - volume control. Works fine with your hands but can't be controlled in the software.

Would RME consider a way to control output volume using the USB port? This could be controlled by a Pi, or Windows, or Mac - whatever - but it would mean Roon integration was complete as far as any DAC could be expected to. I for one would certainly buy an ADI-2 if this function existed.

I highly doubt RME is interested in sending their dac to Roon........maybe I'm wrong.
This great dac deserve a Roon integration.

Roon integration means not being able to playback only.

There is a process offered by Roon called ROON TESTED for DAC devices.

What ADI-2 is technically missing to fulfil the Roon criteria:

- Volume control by Roon via Device Volume
- Standby/Resume by Roon via via device control.

This is true not only for ADI-2 DAC but also for ADI-2 pro and ADI-2/4.

Best DrCWO

DrCWO
Creator of rooExtend
Audiophile music lover,
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering