Topic: Babyface Pro FS in CC mode: Playback issues while synced to optical in

Hello,

After running the BF Pro FS for a week now, I decided to extend it with an Audient ASP800. As the Audient only accepts WC as Master, I set the BF into optical sync mode (Opt stays solid green) I run both devices on 44.1kHz. But no matter whether I connect a Linux PC, a Mac, or the iPad in CC mode to the BF, I get frequent sqeualing glitches while playing back via the BF.

I get these glitches only from material I play back from the PC/Mac/iPad. Hardware-Monitoring of the ADAT-Channels in TotalMix FX on the ipad works flawlessly. Using PC mode on the Mac works great, too. Firmware on the BF is the latest.

I already mailed RME, but I'm intrigued to know, if anyone else has stumbled across that issue.

Cheers
Bollie

Re: Babyface Pro FS in CC mode: Playback issues while synced to optical in

No playback issues without a signal connected to optical?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Bollie 2020-04-03 10:38:30)

Thanks for your quick reply. smile

No issues without the optical connection.

Cheers
Bollie

I just swapped the TOSLINK to a brandnew one. Issue persists.

5 (edited by Bollie 2020-04-04 13:55:18)

Ran some more tests on the Mac in PC mode. It works flawlessly with the sample clock from optical in that mode.

I've read in various spots on the internet, that the Audient ASPs have had clock issues in the past (running a little fast).

So, is there an issue with the Babyface not properly feeding back the optical in clock to the USB host in CC mode? Glitches appear about once a minute.

@RMESupport:
I played back a 1kHz sine wave in CC mode and captured the usb communication using usbmon and WireShark while the glitches were happening. Please let me know, if you're interested in the resulting dump.

I just would like to "close" this thread by sharing my experiences with the Audient and RME Babyface Pro FS with you guys.

The BBF is my first RME device and I got it a couple of weeks ago. Contacting RME support because of the issues mentioned in this thread left me impressed! They were really supportive and it was really a warm welcome for a noob like I am. wink

The issue seems to be indeed the Audient ASP800. As soon as RME provided me with a way to make my BBF more tolerant regarding external clocks, it worked well. But I've found a thread on gearsluts with someone having similar issues with the ASP800. They were dealing with video editing and complaining, that video and audio from the Audient ran out of sync over time. It seems, the ASP's clock is really off!

End of the story: I got a B-Stock Focusrite Clarett OctoPre, that worked like a charme right from the start and returned the ASP800. I should have probably given Audient another chance and contacted their support team, especially since those preamps are great! I recommend that to everyone ending up in the same situation. But frankly, I was quite tired dealing with it and just wanted to enjoy making music.

Anyway, hope this information helps!

Cheers
Bollie

Bollie wrote:

As soon as RME provided me with a way to make my BBF more tolerant regarding external clocks

A new firmware for Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS will soon be released, significantly improving varipitch and accepting much bigger sample rate deviations without audio artefacts in Class Compliant mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME