Topic: Driver 3.39 and Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3

Hi there.
I hope that someone can please help me here, I have tried everything and no matter what I do, my new Mac Mini OS 10.15.3 will not install the driver properly. I have an old Fireface 800 and it actually did install properly and worked for some hours and then it stopped working - driver not working. I can see in the info on the system, that the driver is installed, but read, no.
So I have also tried to turn off System Integrity Protection, but with no luck.
I have tried to install the following driver: 3.36, 3.37, 3.38 and 3.39. Not working. The System Block Extension dialogue never comes up.

Thank you!
Simon
[img]/Users/simonchristensen/Desktop/Driver.png[/img]

Re: Driver 3.39 and Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3

You claim it doesn't install just to continue that it did?

You have to take into account that this old unit might just have died and needs service. To check that you need to connect it to a different computer and try there. Also try all three FireWire ports on it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The interface works on my two other computers that has High Sierra on them.
It's the software that won't install properly and I believe the Fireface driver stopped working after I installed an OS update or I don't know when - I'll do a clean install and pray.
Thank you.
Simon

Hi again. I have tried a clean install and no matter what I do, the extension block warning never comes up and so I have no sound from the fireface.
Thank you.
Simon

Hi there,
I think I have about the same/similar issue. I am on Catalina 10.15.3 and can not install the 339 driver. I can neither get "Fireface Settings" to open (it just bounces up once and never opens) nor can I access Totalmix (it just won´t show me the operating mask).

I have a fireface 400 and can not get it to work. Is there anything I can do? Thanks a lot for your help, I am desperately seeking for help.

Best regards,
Philipp

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/AG … ion_EN.pdf

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am having the same issue.

I have spent 8 hours+ trying to resolve.

RME FF800 going into Early 2015 MBP 13” Retina running MacOS 10.15 Catalina.

Have twice seen the “allow” button in security. Both times have allowed. This hasn’t made a difference.

Most times I erase the drivers and reinstall though it doesn’t come back up.

Even when deleting every single RME/FF file individually from the disk and reinstalling it doesn’t re-prompt.

Also, when attempting to update firmware via flash updater I get error E00000000

In Fireface Settings it shows the device serial but next to it is “v0.00”

I have been without any audio now for many days. Which is particularly problematic given the lockdown restrictions.

I would be overjoyed if anybody could suggest a solution to this!

Thank you

8 (edited by Samhain 2020-04-05 08:40:29)

taybl wrote:

Thank you

easyiest solution -> go back to High Sierra.

Sorry, but ... there is no reason to use Catalina which such an old Mac Book.

I use Catalina on a 2019 MacBook Pro (and sometimes on an 2012 iMac with High Sierra) with FF800 - no problems

Both platforms have same applications. The MacBook Pro is a little bit faster, but ... not really neccesary

best wishes
Franky from Goin' Home Studio's

thx
Franky

Samhain wrote:
taybl wrote:

Thank you

easyiest solution -> go back to High Sierra.

Sorry, but ... there is no reason to use Catalina which such an old Mac Book.

I use Catalina on a 2019 MacBook Pro (and sometimes on an 2012 iMac with High Sierra) with FF800 - no problems

Both platforms have same applications. The MacBook Pro is a little bit faster, but ... not really neccesary

best wishes

Unfortunately I only updated to try and resolve the issue sad

So downgrading won’t make any difference. Problem will simply persist.

Thanks though.

taybl wrote:
Samhain wrote:
taybl wrote:

Thank you

best wishes

Unfortunately I only updated to try and resolve the issue sad

So downgrading won’t make any difference. Problem will simply persist.

Thanks though.

Did you tried another Firewire Cable? ... in some situations you get wrong connection and nothing works well ...

thx
Franky

Dear RME, what should I do if the security popup doesn't appear? Your readme doesn't explain that.

I've tried numerous installs, all with the same problem. The security popup doesn't appear, and the TotalMix FX doesn't see the device. At the very least, please document this behavior and put out a workaround.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30416

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Apparently Mac OS is now 'welcoming' RME drivers. I've recently updated my iMac late 2012 from High Sierra to os Catalina 10.15.4 I had success installing driver 3.37 (after vainly searching for later drivers). I never saw the Privacy/Security 'ALLOW' button - was concerned but then discovered in the extensions log that it had already been allowed. Seems this recent OS 10.15.4 recognises the RME driver. I can't see 3.39 anywhere on the RME website. I've been really happy with the Fireface 800 over 15 years (!) and it now combines with an Apollo Twin (as a Mac OS Aggregate Device) to become a small but powerfuland flexible system....(btw I find TotalMix is much easier to use than the UAD mixer).
Thanks MC and RME for your great work.
DR

Just have to "chime in" with the state of my FF400 - Spolier / Happy Story! :-)

Installed Catalina 10.15.3 on my MBP 2014. Despite a warning of incompatibility during the installation initiation process, I ventured into the abyss... All external connections like the FireWire was not plugged in, during install.

Lo and behold, post-install I recieved no system notifications upon the initial reboot, and after having downloaded the 3.39 driver, proceeded to install it.

Still no prompts or warnings. All was "as usual" besides I couldn't launch the Fireface Settings panel, it just bounced once, but did not activate. (For a moment I was slightly panicking!)

Went down in the studio, macbook off, and plugged in all external inputs. My Good Old Trusty Fireface 400, goes via a Lacie Rugged FW400-FW800 and then to a Lightning dongle, so rather "old school" connection.

Fired up the mac, aaaand... voila, FF Settings and TotalMix (with new button GFX) booted as per previous many years!

Initiate Ableton and holy mother of sound, it worked as usual!

:-) Happy travels for a few years forward! Not sure I dare the next major OS update... but hey we should be safe with the good old FF's a while longer!

Happy First Post... Yay RME!

Welcome and well done. Are you happy with your 2014 MBP? I'm considering a 2015 model. I only went to Catalina (from High Sierra) to enable the latest Logic - 10.5.
Did you download 3.39 drvr recently? I have searched for it to no avail.
Also you mentioned Lightning dongle. How does that connect?
I'm currently (happily) using an Akitio Thunder2 Dock for Firewire, USB + esata connectivity via thunderbolt to my 2012 trusty imac.

DR