1 (edited by gswitz 2020-04-07 02:00:53)

Topic: Click on audio tracks related to midi >> Solved

Hey! I love my RME UCX.

Interestingly, when I plug my Roland GR-20 into either of the two midi inputs, I get a click on the audio channels. This is even true when the audient asp 880 does the digitizing. It's true on either of the 1/4 front panel high-z inputs. It's interesting.

The level is low enough that I don't really care. It sounds like a clock tick.

If you want I an make a video demonstration.

I haven't bypassed the RME midi input to see if I have the problem even when plugged in through USB. It seems tied to the blinking midi light on the interface.

I'm not complaining or asking for help fixing it. Actually, I know it can be hard to get a repeatable bug scenario on a product this good so I thought I'd share in case it helps you.

Thanks,

Geoff

2 (edited by gswitz 2020-04-06 17:18:41)

Re: Click on audio tracks related to midi >> Solved

I recorded 3 short clips of the RME UCX Analog Input 3 (front panel 1/4 input with my guitar plugged into it).

In one case, I had my Roland GR-20 plugged into the RME midi input. Another into the Roland USB Midi input, and a third with it unplugged. The click is obvious.

It is so soft as to be hard to detect, but you can hear it when running the guitar through an Amp Sim that amplifies the click. I spent some time troubleshooting this.

My UCX is old and maybe it has a hardware issue caused by years of use. idk. I'm on the latest drivers and firmware.

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tun … iInput.wav

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tun … Input1.wav

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tun … iInput.wav

In all cases the GR-20 was plugged in and on.

It's odd that I can kinda hear a fainter clicking. It's much more visible when you look at the wave forms.

Honestly, there is not much here worth pursuing. This was my best effort at troubleshooting the click.

I was using Cakewalk software to record it. Maybe the fault is there.

FWIW, I do not get the click if I uncheck the INST button on the input channel in Total Mix.

3 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-04-07 02:01:52)

Hello!

I don't think that this is UCX-related noise.

It sounds like pitch-tracking clicking, and I think it is related to the MIDI pickup of your guitar. I think it gets "picked" by your normal guitar pickup and gets amplified by the instrument input of the UCX.

You could try unfitting the MIDI pickup and check if the clicking persists.

If it's not possible to remove it, you could either check on a different audio interface( from a friend perhaps? ), or with another guitar or bass directly into an instrument input.

Also, does the clicking exist when you have nothing connected to the UCX?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

4 (edited by gswitz 2020-04-07 02:04:25)

My Internet Friend over at the Cakewalk Forum wrote:

With regards to the suggestion that the issue may be power supply related; it could be some sort of "chassis shield" issue.

Is everything that you have interconnected referenced to the same ground connection at a single wall receptacle in a star ground configuration?

If so, an easy test to try would be to flip the polarity of the AC power plug for the Boss BRC power supply in your AC outlet. Just pull it out of the AC, flip it over, and shove it back in to see if the relative position of the Hot and "Neutral" somehow relates to the effective shielding of the GR-20 and its interconnections.

I responded, "
You nailed it. Reversing the plug for the Gr20 resolved the issue. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I'd ask how you new. I'm so grateful you did."

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

I don't think that this is UCX-related noise.

It sounds like pitch-tracking clicking, and I think it is related to the MIDI pickup of your guitar. I think it gets "picked" by your normal guitar pickup and gets amplified by the instrument input of the UCX.

You could try unfitting the MIDI pickup and check if the clicking persists.

If it's not possible to remove it, you could either check on a different audio interface( from a friend perhaps? ), or with another guitar or bass directly into an instrument input.

Also, does the clicking exist when you have nothing connected to the UCX?

Thanks so much for responding. This wasn't the problem, but I appreciate you trying to help me. See my last post for the problem and solution.

6 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-04-07 02:04:08)

Just saw your response!

You 're welcome!

Glad you fixed it!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632