Topic: Fireface UC Constant Tone around 16kHz

Hi RME community,

apologies if this is a common question, I have done a couple of google searches with no luck and figured it might be a good idea to ask here.

I am experiencing a problem with my Fireface UCs inputs.

While recording my Guitar on inputs 1-4, a constant tone makes it into the recordings around 16kHz, if I record silence with no input plugged in, no tone is being recorded.

I have tested the same with my synth and the tone does not appear to be recorded on Inputs 1 and 2, but is existent on 3 and 4.

I am using my Fireface with the EUR Power supply, but in a UK power bank with a power adapter. I am currently waiting on a Myvolt UK Power supply which Myvolt claims to work with the Fireface, to see if the power conversion is the problem/causing interference.

I have tried a different EUR RME power supply, which did not change the error, tried a different USB cord and also tried it on two different PCs. Different 1/4inch cables were used as well, but I might get a Stagg balanced one just to make sure.

I have attached a couple of Spectograms and my input settings, hope this helps!

https://imgur.com/a/mBeZSJu

Thanks and all the best

Re: Fireface UC Constant Tone around 16kHz

Does this happen with any line level input source? What else can you test?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by PRS_One 2020-05-07 16:26:05)

Hi Daniel,

I just tried Input 1 and 2 with an AKG mic and phantom power on, no Tone in those recordings.

*EDIT

Also just tried with a Sennheiser MS stereo Mic Combo on Input 1 and 2, no Tone on these either it seems!
Think its safe to say the problem occurs only on instrument line inputs. My synth was fine on input 1 and 2 with that as well though, not my guitar.

Ive done another round of testing, just with 2 line cables on their own and then with the guitar hooked up, note that on the last image I switch pickups half way through the recording, which appears to reintroduce the Tone/make it more prominent.

https://imgur.com/a/lh261SU

5 (edited by cigame 2020-05-08 08:01:09)

PRS_One wrote:

Hi Daniel,

I just tried Input 1 and 2 with an AKG mic and phantom power on, no Tone in those recordings.

*EDIT

Also just tried with a Sennheiser MS stereo Mic Combo on Input 1 and 2, no Tone on these either it seems!
Think its safe to say the problem occurs only on instrument line inputs. My synth was fine on input 1 and 2 with that as well though, not my guitar.

Than the problem seems to be in your pickups or guitar cable.
What happens if you turn the volume down on your guitar.
If you still hear something, it's the cable.
If the sound varies when you move around with the guitar, it's the pickups that receive something. Maybe your cellphone in your pocket ;-).
Maybe the monitor screen. etc
Good luck

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X