1 (edited by PTS 2020-05-09 07:14:37)

Topic: Connecting mic preamp (ADA8200) to ADI-2 Pro?

I'm looking to use a Behringer ADA8200 8-channel Mic Preamp, bypassing it's A/D converters, and hook it up to my ADI-2 Pro, using RME's superior converters.

1. As far as I can tell, I only need one toslink-to-toslink optical cable to make the connection (ADAT output from Behringer > ADAT input to ADI-2 Pro?

2. I can still keep the ADI-2 Pro connected to my PC via USB, yes?

3. I should be able simultaneously see and record 8 separate channels of audio into my DAW?

Many thanks!

PS. Happy to take alternative suggestions on something other than the Behringer for this job.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-05-09 07:51:25)

Re: Connecting mic preamp (ADA8200) to ADI-2 Pro?

Its possible to pass through 8 channels from ADI-2 Pro's ADAT IN to its ADAT out, but actually the device is only able to work with 2 channels out of the ADAT data stream, see also manual, its documented there.
What you want to do, to get 8 Mic channels, is not possible with that unit.

Solution: get a RME recording interface with ADAT i/o and connect Mic preamp and ADI-2 Pro digitally.
The least expensive solution for this is to get the Digiface USB:

PC +------- Digiface USB +---------------- ADAT1 IN----------------------------- ADI-2 Pro----------- Speaker / Phones
+                                   +----------------- ADAT2 IN (opt. OUT ++) -------- ADA8200
|
ARC USB

++) optional: if you want to route audio to the ADA8200
Digiface USB as Clock master, ADI and ADA as clock slave getting clock via ADAT

See also my blog articles:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

Other advantages of this solution:
- by adding the Digiface USB you also get some additional comfort by TotalMix FX.
- you are able to get the optional ARC USB which is very comfortably to work with and remote control TM FX control room
- you have still a lot of ADAT I/O free

You can e.g. use a 15m TOSLINK cable to make a connection to a DAC in front of your HiFi and use HiFi as 2nd Monitors,
to put an example. This is possible if you have either an HiFi Amp with optical SPDIF input or you place an ADI-2 DAC FS in fron of your HiFi with a TOSLINK switcher, then you can use the ADI-2 DAC there for performing high quality D/A for multiple devices: e.g. from computer (as Music Player), from TV, from BluRay Player.
See this Blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … her-EN-DE/
Not fully up-to-date as some devices changes, but basically what I do to connect Studio and HiFi corner in my livingroom.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by PTS 2020-05-09 08:29:04)

Thank you for the detailed response, Ramses!

I'll try 2-channel for now (I have an original Babyface and the ADI-2 Pro), and later branch out to a slightly more complex 8-channel setup, like the one you suggested.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-05-09 09:16:00)

This setup is not complex, its the usual thing.

With the Digiface USB you get simply a recording interface with digital I/O which allows you to expand the solution
by Mic Pre's, AD/DA converters and to make connections to the "outside" like HiFi.
Much more important, now you have a "real" recording interface with TotalMix FX support !!!
Setting Clock master and slave is also a usual thing which is required as soon as you deal with digital connections.

So tbh .. I do not see anything in terms of "more complex".
The contrary is the case.
With the ADI-2 Pro alone it can become challenging to catch the exact routing, that you want and
you have no fine grained control over routing like with eg TotalMix FX per port based.

By this Digiface USB / TotalMix FX based setup you come into the comfort zone which allows for more smooth operation via PC, especially if you add the optional ARC USB to this solution.

This is the foundation for the usual powerful RME setup including TotalMix FX.

By this you are able to use the full feature set, that a RME solution can give to you
- TotalMix FX
   - Routing, Loopback Support
   - Snapshots, Workspaces to store and recall settings easily
   - remote control functions
   - efficient code, low latency, no lag
   - IMHO the best routing software that has ever been written so far
- TotalMix FX Remote
   - to be installed on a remote PC in your (W)LAN to remote control TM FX
- ARC USB
   - simply to be connected by USB to the PC where your Digiface USB is connected to
      TM FX performs the interfacing between the remote control and the recording interface

Also of course DIGIcheck, software analysis tools, but these were also useable by the ADI-2 Pro alone.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-09 14:30:40)

PTS wrote:

I'm looking to use a Behringer ADA8200 8-channel Mic Preamp, bypassing it's A/D converters, and hook it up to my ADI-2 Pro, using RME's superior converters.

1. As far as I can tell, I only need one toslink-to-toslink optical cable to make the connection (ADAT output from Behringer > ADAT input to ADI-2 Pro?

ADAT optical connection is already digital, in this case AD-converted with Behringer ADA8200's internal AD-converters.

So you are not using RME's superior Analog to Digital AD-converter this way.

The access to RME ADI-2 Pro's internal AD-converter is through its XLR analog inputs.

This is of course rubbish, I overlooked it. Good that you point it out.
I concentrated on presenting him a not too expensive solution where the "desired" ADA8200 at least would work.

The ADI-2 Pro is not a "Mojo Box" enhancing your audio quality.
It simply records audio in a transparent "non coloring" fashion "as is" in best quality.

Of course the ADI8200 has to perform A/D conversion 1st, before being able to send audio digitally across ADAT to something like a recording interface.

7 (edited by PTS 2020-05-10 03:45:10)

KaiS - that makes sense now, thanks for pointing it out.

Ramses - to be clear, I've been using simple to setup applications with the ADI-2 Pro until now.

Connected to desktop PC via USB, analog outputs to preamp of my hi-fi system, analog inputs for vinyl rips from turntable phono stage, headphone output to edit band rehearsals, post recording them on location with a Babyface and a laptop.

I'm only now reading the manual in-depth to see what else the ADI-2 Pro can do. Some of this tech (digital connections, etc) I'm unfamiliar with, hence the dumb questions.

Whether you like it or not, what you suggested is *slightly* more complicated to setup and more than I currently wanted to spend; I haven't needed to do it until considering adding mic pres ahead of the ADI-2 Pro. I do appreciate your suggestions though, and it's something I'm considering.

8 (edited by ramses 2020-05-10 07:10:52)

ADI-2 Pro FS has only some fixed routings because its more a converter than a recording interface.
To connect 8ch Mic preamps is out of scope.
Without TM FX you are not able to create any customized submixes on the PC for phones or speakers.
What I told you is the best way to get ADA8200 and ADI-2 Pro working and without having to spend much money.

9 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-10 10:12:05)

PTS wrote:

...edit band rehearsals, post recording them on location with a Babyface and a laptop.

... considering adding mic pres ahead of the ADI-2 Pro.

You already have an RME interface with TotalMix, good so, use it!

I had a look at the Behringer ADA8200:
It's only interfacing through it's digital ADAT connections.
There is no way accessing ADA8200's mic pre's analog signals, you have to stay with it's own AD converters.

RME ADI-2 Pro as microphone recording interface:
Even though ADI-Pro FS analog inputs are made for line levels, it's possible to connect microphones.
It boils down to getting almost line level out of a mic.

I do this all the time when I'm using ADI-2 Pro as frontend for measurements.

Possible under the following circumstances:

• The microphone does not need P48 phantom power, has it's own PSU, or you have an external P48 PSU.

• The mic is very sensitive ("loud").
Like the measurement mic's I use, Neumann M149 or DPA 4003 fall into that category too and have their own, dedicated PSU.

• Some vintage mic's have a switch or setup option for "high impedance".
Set this way output level can be sufficient.

• Plus, the source is loud, like a rock singer close-mic'd, or loud instruments.

Still, ADI-2 Pro, as recording interface, is limited to special use-cases where low latency monitoring of the record input signal is not needed.
So just adding a mic pre won't help, in this regard.