1 (edited by silentsky 2020-05-15 22:46:50)

Topic: Options for adding more remote controlled mic preamps to Fireface UFX?

Hello, I just upgraded from my trusty old RME Digiface to a Fireface UFX. Among all of the other great features, I really like the remote control abilities of the 4 built-in mic preamps and was wondering:

1. What are all of my options for adding more preamps that can be remote controlled?
2. I see the Octamic XTC, which looks like it would do the trick, but I was wondering: would the 12Mic also work in this way?
3. From what I'm reading, I would need to connect a MIDI cable between the Fireface UFX and Octamic XTC to remote control the XTC through TotalMixFX--is that correct? Again, would the 12Mic work in the same way?
4. Are there any mic preamps from other manufacturers (e.g. the Presonus DP88, which appears can be remote-controlled over MIDI) that can be remote-controlled in this same way, or this a proprietary RME thing?

Thanks!

Re: Options for adding more remote controlled mic preamps to Fireface UFX?

I did some more digging and found this on page 75 of the Fireface UFX manual under section 25.8.4 Aux Devices:
"Device. At this time only the OctaMic XTC is supported and can be chosen".
So I snagged myself an Octamic XTC and now I'm in the process of getting it all set up and configured for remote control from TotalMix FX.

If you use UFX+ then you could get rid of midi cabling and use MIDI over MADI instead.
And you would have two options to connect to a PC (USB2/3 and TB).

UFX+ and XTC as AUX device and remote control via MADI is a perfect combination: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I've got the older Fireface UFX rather than the UFX+. Right now I have the Octamic XTC connected to the UFX with a couple of ADAT cables, and then I'm using a couple of MIDI cables to enable the remote control of the Octamic XTC from Totalmix FX. But I am curious--rather than using the MIDI cables could I connect the Octamic XTC to my PC with a USB cable, and then use MIDI over USB to remote control it? Or should I stick with using the MIDI cables? So far, it seems to be working fine.

Sorry, I misread that you upgraded already.

Manual ch 11.3 sounds so but I didn't try it.
Every RME audio interface equipped with TotalMix FX (> v0.99) includes an option to control
the OctaMic XTC’s most important parameters (gain, 48V, phase, mute, AutoSet) from the TotalMix
FX input channels. This special remote control uses MIDI (DIN, USB, MIDI over MADI).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13