1 (edited by Sebb 2020-05-17 05:37:00)

Topic: Need help with UFXII

First off all i'm coming from mackie 1640i FW mixer, this made my Klipsch speakers sound a lot more "studio" like everything from bass to highs sound more crisp, even in bass frequencies I can hear details which I didnt with my mixer.
And this interface seems to handle my shure sm7b so much better than my mixer, I need lot less eqing to sound great compared to my previous. I'd like to solve these problems to fully enjoy this interface smile

problem #1.

There seems to be a little white cosmetic scratches on the the screen of the UFXII, one scratch reaches little over the lcd onto the blue plastic, and some white circular scratches around screen which Im only able to see when shining light directly at the screen. white scratches Im able to see against when screen is showing white background example when starting the interface. I was bit disappointed as this costed 1800 euros for me:(

Problem #2.

Im not able to get 192khz to work at all without crackles here and there even with 8k sample buffer.

Problem #3.

Minimum sample buffer is 256 for 96khz which doesn't sound like this https://mega.nz/file/qJd3VSwI#91xRPt8lS … SxAL8fUcUY thats youtube playing on 96khz/128 settings
on mackie I could somehow use 128buffer setting but it had random pops and cracks-
problem #4.

Latencymon seems to report huge nvidia and dxkrnl DPC spikes randomly, here is latency mon's report

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. 
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  1:47:22  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-SI3BFI1
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1809, build: 17763 (x64)
Hardware:                                             ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., CROSSHAIR VI HERO
CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor 
Logical processors:                                   16
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  32697 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3793 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature. 

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   41681,80
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   6,242314

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       41675,90
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2,778485

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              243,027683
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,198346
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,202615

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   15256608
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1306,847350
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,140806
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,294998

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   35431836
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                515
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              5
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 reaper.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       16673
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          12810
Number of processes hit:                              27

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       667,989822
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                243,027683
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   200,616867
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      13433054
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1306,847350
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   264,092678
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      33706079
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       276,20160
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                176,024255
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   7,166130
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      904474
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                384,648563
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   37,252696
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      1156650
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       47,167991
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                6,682310
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,001040
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      428
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                263,284999
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,178586
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      45751
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       45,626471
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                56,484050
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,070690
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      28515
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       45,686691
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                300,333245
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,124937
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      48609
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       44,302293
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                290,485104
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,040259
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      22954
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       45,003505
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                63,717374
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,087251
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      35426
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       44,062761
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                51,524914
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,098177
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      47429
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       50,761413
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                278,182441
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,186836
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      48694
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       47,683115
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                286,968626
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,053696
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      20702
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       47,461466
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                272,301608
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,127018
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      35089
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       46,002018
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                68,456103
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,118697
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      58021
CPU 12 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       48,472672
CPU 12 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 12 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 12 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 12 DPC highest execution time (µs):                85,838123
CPU 12 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,148939
CPU 12 DPC count:                                      36159
CPU 13 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       46,310150
CPU 13 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 13 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 13 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 13 DPC highest execution time (µs):                58,738202
CPU 13 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,091829
CPU 13 DPC count:                                      21421
CPU 14 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       49,016516
CPU 14 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 14 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 14 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 14 DPC highest execution time (µs):                66,302136
CPU 14 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,259167
CPU 14 DPC count:                                      34051
CPU 15 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       63,412994
CPU 15 ISR highest execution time (µs):                36,887951
CPU 15 ISR total execution time (s):                   1,055429
CPU 15 ISR count:                                      918652
CPU 15 DPC highest execution time (µs):                82,341682
CPU 15 DPC total execution time (s):                   1,129256
CPU 15 DPC count:                                      86806

Update 1: now it happened again when I tried to play music on spotify after making music on reaper for half an hour or something sound pixalated 8 bit mess hmm never happened with old mixer, changing buffer or sample rate back and forth fixes it

Update 2: shortly after it happened again while I was watching music video on youtube and decided to changed to a different song.

Re: Need help with UFXII

This forum has many threads about such performance issues and possible solutions, please search.

Are you sure the protective plastic film has been removed on the acrylic piece?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh thank you I didnt notice that there is plastic cover there, didnt want to do anything that would even remotely have possibility of scratching the unit, Im trying to find possible solution for the 8 bit sound bug I'll report back if I cant solve it:)

4 (edited by Sebb 2020-05-17 15:08:29)

I noticed when I disconnected usb cable restarted unit, the volume mixer is going all over places even in standalone mode at 192khz sample rate, like there is whole lot of electric noise on all channels. Anything higher than 96khz causes mixer to go all over place

Sorry, but that is a nonsense statement. You see the extended noise floor of 192 kHz sample rate on the analog level meters, and that is perfectly documented and explained in the manual (and this forum).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I still couldn't find a solution, seems like always when ever I change buffer setting I need to re close app and reopen or it has bitcrusher effect.. or when changing between sample rates it can cause electro static noise always when playing audio, and it stops after 3 secs audio has stopped playing, usually changing sample rate back fixes it or restarting the unit. I've tried every single port on my crosshair vi 4 usb 2 ports, 1 usb 3.1port couple or three of usb3 ports all have same problem, I even tested the usb 3 hub of my chassis, I turned of all power saving features in motherboard setting c-states, core performance boost, turned off usb suspend, took out all of my hdd except mine nvme c drive.

I took out my logitech usb dongle and Im only using mouse with cable, and keyboard - no other usb devices connected.

Tested two different Windows versions, I had LTSC now I have fresh install of latest insider preview with no nvidia drivers installed- no difference

I usually use a lot of heavy vst's like vocalsynth on my project so when projects gets bigger I have no choice than to increase buffer size and this behaviour makes me unsure how it can handle buffer size changes on fly..

Still looking for solution for this.

Here is the video of this particular problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z_X9gD … pp=desktop

How did you get the idea that Windows Audio supports buffer size changes during operation? It doesn't. Stop playback (sometimes you have to close the whole audio program), change buffer size, start playback. This is the correct procedure.

Switching during operation is only possible under ASIO, and there only because the programs support it (they communicate with the ASIO driver, stop and start playback briefly).

If you use ASIO and Windows Audio at the same time (e.g. with DIGICheck) the driver blocks a change of the buffer size until ASIO is stopped. After that Windows Audio is broken - if you didn't stop/start manually.

Preferred WDM buffer sizes are 64 and 128 samples. Higher ones might cause artefacts (system dependent).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Sebb 2020-05-19 07:17:02)

MC wrote:

How did you get the idea that Windows Audio supports buffer size changes during operation? It doesn't. Stop playback (sometimes you have to close the whole audio program), change buffer size, start playback. This is the correct procedure.

Switching during operation is only possible under ASIO, and there only because the programs support it (they communicate with the ASIO driver, stop and start playback briefly).

If you use ASIO and Windows Audio at the same time (e.g. with DIGICheck) the driver blocks a change of the buffer size until ASIO is stopped. After that Windows Audio is broken - if you didn't stop/start manually.

Preferred WDM buffer sizes are 64 and 128 samples. Higher ones might cause artefacts (system dependent).

okay, would pcie card be any good? Would I be able to keep different buffer sizes and sample rates for ufxII ASIO and possibly rme pcie card in wdm?

I finally managed to keep DPC latency quite small at 412us for wdf01000.sys as of 3 and 30 hours running watching youtube and stuff and recording some samples.

Btw im wondering what is that loud electric amp noise after changing sample rate? when I changed from 48khz to 96khz electro static noise occurs but then it goes away if I change back to 48khz and returns when I change sample rate to 96khz but it goes away again when increasing sample rate to 192khz and after that I tried to decrease sample rate to notch lower to 176khz everything still sounds normal but when I turn it back to 96khz electric noise appears again. yesterday I think that amp noise occured at 192khz but now its occuring when changing sampling rate to 96khz, restarting unit at 96khz seems to play it okay as when I tested now

Humming buzzing starts to happen in all totalmix channels if I change sample rate during audio playback and continues as long as any audio is playing or I restart the unit.. when I stop the audio playing while changing sample rate there doesn't seem to be any problem, I understand if I would have to restart program after sample rate change but the buzzing doesnt sound normal

Take post 8 and replace 'buffer size' with 'sample rate'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME