1 (edited by hselters 2020-05-21 15:09:30)

Topic: Audio crashing with Digiface USB

Hi,
recently I am having problems with the Digiface USB. In all my videoconferences the audio is crashing after some time (no input and no output anymore), trying to change the audio settings then on-the-fly usually results in a crash of the app (Zoom or Skype, browser).
Testing the audio then in the finder or iTunes won't work either or makes those apps crash. Total Mix will also not show any incoming audio under software playback. However, if I select some other soundcard (Fireface 400, Internal Speakers, Display Audio...) everything works as expected. Once changing back to Digiface USB the problem persists. Replugging the Digiface won't resolve the issue and its Fireface USB Settings are looking strange:

Firmware: v0 (not okay, this would usually show the version)
Driver: v3.18  (ok)
Sample Rate: 48000Hz (ok)
Clock Source: Internal (ok)
Current Clock: Internal (ok)
The Input Status of all Opticals are showing "No lock", 32 kHz (not okay)
Also, the Fireface USB Settings can only be force quit and won't reopen (keep bouncing in the dock).

If I reboot the MacBook (15", 2014, macOS 10.14.6)  everything works again.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thank you!

Re: Audio crashing with Digiface USB

How do you connect? Is there any USB hub, extender or adapter involved? What device(s) are connected to the ADAT I/O and how is clock set up on these?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Digiface USB and Fireface 400 are both connected to an Akitio Thunderbolt Dock via a 5m optical Thunderbolt cable. After the last crash I tried to directly disconnect the Digiface USB to the MacBook, but it would still not react, only after a reboot. All other devices plugged into the Dock – including the Fireface – were doing fine.

Digiface is Master (clock source internal), Fireface is on AutoSync with preferred Sync Ref on ADAT.
No other ADAT device was connected / switched on when the crashes happened.

However, I was running updates on RME drivers + firmware and all video apps now, and so far the issue did not reappear.

Unfortunately the issue persists, it crashed again two times after one hour or so in the last two Skypes.
When I then disconnect the Digiface USB from the Mac it is still shown in the sound preferences, I can even open the Fireface USB Settings then with the Digiface disconnected (which then show some variation of the mentioned false statuses like 32 kHz Sample Rate).
Any attempt then to open any software using audio will skyrocket the kernel_task to extremely high CPU usages (500%+) and make those software crash (tried it with Zoom, Skype, Ableton, Reaper...).
After a reboot everything is back to normal.