Topic: Electric shocks

Hi everyone,
I am very pleased with my RME DAC but the last weeks I am getting something strange.
I am getting electric shocks when I touch the metal cage of the dac or turn off the dac.
The same is happening when I touch the power amplifier.
And this is very nasty and I am even hesitating to even touch it ,sometimes it even gives a plop through the loudspeakers.
I haven't changed anything and I don't know why it happens.
Can anybody help me with this

Re: Electric shocks

Your power amplifier is not grounded. If this effect is new then you must have had something else connected that provided ground. Note that this effect is normal (about 90 V AC, but high impedance/low current) and typical for ungrounded switched power supply systems.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Bliman!

This is a new thing, but at least you'll be Fried whilst having a nicely uniform Room Response.  smile

I had a similar issue some years ago with an entirely different bit of gear.  Caused by horribly faulty electrical wiring in my commuter flat here in the Caribbean.   BS Wiring?  In the Caribe?  Imagine that!  smile

Listen to MC.   Perhaps also, it might be good to have a Qualified Electrician pay a visit to inspect your Electrical Service.   It worked for me!!

Best!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Bliman,

Possible static discharge because of the extremely dry weather
Does it also happen when touching other metal surfaces
I am having the same here in Belgium for the last weeks

Enjoy...

Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Nord Three 1ET400A ST > Focal Aria 936

MC wrote:

Your power amplifier is not grounded. If this effect is new then you must have had something else connected that provided ground. Note that this effect is normal (about 90 V AC, but high impedance/low current) and typical for ungrounded switched power supply systems.

Hi, first thanks for the answer.
Why do you say that my power amplifier is not grounded?
This is new and I haven't changed anything in my set. I also don't get that you say that it is normal. Maybe I am missing something.
But I would like to get rid of it fast. Because it is very nasty to always get these shocks.

Curt962 wrote:

Bliman!

This is a new thing, but at least you'll be Fried whilst having a nicely uniform Room Response.  smile

I had a similar issue some years ago with an entirely different bit of gear.  Caused by horribly faulty electrical wiring in my commuter flat here in the Caribbean.   BS Wiring?  In the Caribe?  Imagine that!  smile

Listen to MC.   Perhaps also, it might be good to have a Qualified Electrician pay a visit to inspect your Electrical Service.   It worked for me!!

Best!

Curt

Hi,
In the future we should start playing with reflection points, etc... :)Thanks for helping me then. It was a great step in improving my system.
Yeah maybe there is something wrong with the wiring. But I have never got problems with it in the last 10 years or so.
The only time I had a problem was with a Unison Research Unico amplifier. I once got a major shock from the case. A very big one. That happened one time,15 years ago or so.

chips666 wrote:

Bliman,

Possible static discharge because of the extremely dry weather
Does it also happen when touching other metal surfaces
I am having the same here in Belgium for the last weeks

Enjoy...

Yeah, that is what I have been thinking about as well, it looks and feels like static discharge (but a hard one that you can feel).
But I haven't got any shocks besides my power amplifier and dac.
Now I have a bed in the room that can give friction and static electricity. And I also have a heater for warming my room for a short time in the evening. Maybe that gets rid of the moisture.

8 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-17 20:18:41)

https://i.ibb.co/PjbfJRS/rod25.gif

There ya go Bliman.  That should get you eager to treat FRPs!  Let me know!!   It'll be a fun exercise.

Maybe start a new thread? "Room: The Final Frontier" (it really is)  That way the exchange isn't obscured by a different matter.

PS:  I'm on board with @Chips regarding the Static Discharge.   That's more of a Winter Phenom for us, but given low enough Relative Humidity, it can occur any time.

Best!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/PjbfJRS/rod25.gif

There ya go Bliman.  That should get you eager to treat FRPs!  Let me know!!   It'll be a fun exercise.

Maybe start a new thread? "Room: The Final Frontier" (it really is)  That way the exchange isn't obscured by a different matter.

PS:  I'm on board with @Chips regarding the Static Discharge.   That's more of a Winter Phenom for us, but given low enough Relative Humidity, it can occur any time.

Best!

Curt

Yeah it is static discharge I think. It is very nasty.
I know now how they train rats. I am fearful of touching the gear now.
Yeah in the (near) future we will go a little further with the room. In a new thread or the one we posted in.
You are great by the way smile

It's all Smoke, and Mirrors Bliman, but we're here to assist!

Enjoy your RME!

Curt

11 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-19 00:16:01)

MC wrote:

Matthias, I have to partly disagree with what you said, a healthy ADI-2 cannot cause this:

• The voltage caused by ADI-2 Pro's PSU is exactly 1/2 of the mains voltage, not 90V.
This hints to the fact that it's by design, without opening the PSU I predict there are two small capacitors of equal value connecting phase and null to the secondary, a common practice.
Or it's the result of stray coupling between primary and secondary, but this usually would result in different voltages if you turn the plug to reverse phase and null, which is not the case.

• I can, by measurement, agree that normally the resulting current is extremly low, several magnitudes below what is dangerous for humans, nothing to worry if the ADI-2 PSU is in factory condition.

• Coming to the topic starters problem:
No static discharge as low as only 1/2 of the mains voltage, in a typical home system, can give the sensation of "beeing shocked".
In fact, the effect is so small that you need to know how to provoke it and what to watch out for to feel it.

• The amount of "shock" sensation described leads to the conclusion:
Something is broken, either in ADI-2's PSU or in the power amplifier used, or something got wet inside.
Much more current then usually is flowing, if this gets worse it might become dangerous.
And, yes, the power amplifier is obviously not grounded, by design, by defect, or by miswiring of the mains cabeling.

Every device in the system can be the cause, need not necessarily be ADI-2.

A professional electrician should have a look!
This is NOT a DIY task.

• One alternative explanation:
The topic starter has either a new floor carpet, or new shoes that cause charging him personally to several 10,000V (!) static voltage, that discharges each time he touches something grounded.
As children we did this intentionally to see and feel the spark.

If it's only personal static charge it shouldn't only happen on the Hifi, but when touching other grounded metal stuff too.

And it should happen only one time, not multiple times when repeatedly touching the unit. Different to my MacBook that gives me the electric sensation each time I touch it...at around 90 Volt...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I should give you more information.
I only get one shock when I touch it. You can see the electric spark from my finger or knuckles to the dac or power amplifier. Now what you count as a shock is not so simple. It is nasty and I don't like to touch the units anymore. Now it isn't massive but it isn't pleasant either.
I have no new shoes or carpet and nothing has changed in my environment.
I touched it just now and it didn't do it. But it did yesterday.
I haven't got any sparks from something else (I had none when I petted my cat, or something else, which in the winter it could happen).
Is there something that I could do to get rid of it? So I can touch my units safely. Without worrying that I get a static discharge or test it that it is the case?

14 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-20 01:54:33)

Bliman.  I just checked the Weather in Brussels.(0045 GMT)   73% Relative Humidity.   Not really a good Static Electricity environment. 

Yet...your description seems "Static" in nature. 

No.  You're not going to be electrocuted!  Yet...I still think that given your environmental conditions which are not generally conducive to Static Discharge, it just might be advisable to bring in the help of a Certified Electrician to ensure your household wiring is indeed up to spec.

Best!

Curt

15 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-20 10:42:55)

Bliman wrote:

I only get one shock when I touch it. You can see the electric spark from my finger or knuckles to the dac or power amplifier. Now what you count as a shock is not so simple. It is nasty and I don't like to touch the units anymore. Now it isn't massive but it isn't pleasant either.
I haven't got any sparks from something else (I had none when I petted my cat, or something else, which in the winter it could happen).
Is there something that I could do to get rid of it? So I can touch my units safely. Without worrying that I get a static discharge or test it that it is the case?

I have a hard time advising you to DIY any further, but you asked, so be it:

"You can see the electric spark from my finger..." 100% means it's a static charge voltage in the range of 10,000V.
A shock from the 230V mains power does not spark, but it badly hurts.

One thing you can do safely:

In Belgium the mains wall socket has a pin that sticks out, the safety ground.

Touch this pin immediately before you touch your system, to discharge yourself.
It's safe to touch this pin (it sticks out!),
but your other hand has to be in your back pocket, just to be sure.

(1) Do you get the "spark" at the mains socket?
(2) Do you still get the "spark" now touching your system immediately before moving around?

If (1) yes, (2) no:
the problem is static electricity caused by your carpet/shoe combination in dry air (aircondition?) environment.
Annoying, but not dangerous.
Use this on your carpet/floor:
https://www.weidinger.eu/de/p/wl23898

If (1) no (2) yes:
Something's wrong with the electrical safety of your system.
Can be anything, hard to give remote diagnosis, and not a DIY thing anyway.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe … ent=psy-ab

Today humidity in Brussels 41% at 1800hr

Enjoy...

Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Nord Three 1ET400A ST > Focal Aria 936

KaiS wrote:
Bliman wrote:

I have a hard time advising you to DIY any further, but you asked, so be it:

"You can see the electric spark from my finger..." 100% means it's a static charge voltage in the range of 10,000V.
A shock from the 230V mains power does not spark, but it badly hurts.

One thing you can do safely:

In Belgium the mains wall socket has a pin that sticks out, the safety ground.

Touch this pin immediately before you touch your system, to discharge yourself.
It's safe to touch this pin (it sticks out!),
but your other hand has to be in your back pocket, just to be sure.

(1) Do you get the "spark" at the mains socket?
(2) Do you still get the "spark" now touching your system immediately before moving around?

If (1) yes, (2) no:
the problem is static electricity caused by your carpet/shoe combination in dry air (aircondition?) environment.
Annoying, but not dangerous.
Use this on your carpet/floor:
https://www.weidinger.eu/de/p/wl23898

If (1) no (2) yes:
Something's wrong with the electrical safety of your system.
Can be anything, hard to give remote diagnosis, and not a DIY thing anyway.

Thank you very much everyone.
I will test the above for a couple of days and tell you what the results were. Thank you for helping me

https://giphy.com/gifs/star-trek-swear- … aoyKae7Xod

Bliman.  This is us.  Looking at Belgian AC.

big_smile

Ok here goes.
I am going nuts.
I got a few shocks when touching the pin from the socket(one at a time between sitting down). Then I didn't get a shock from the gear, when I touched the pin before.
But now I have another problem (maybe related, but I don't think so). Since a couple of days I am getting a crackle in my left loudspeaker (see video underneath). It happens sporadically. I have switched my loudspeakers cables. That didn't help. I have unplugged my cd player, that also didn't help. I have plugged the plug from where everything is plugged in in another socket and that didn't help either.
This is getting frustrating. If someone can help or recognize it?
Why didn't they use a great mains cable for the dac instead of this flimsy cable, it doesn't give me much confidence?
Here is the video (hopefully it works)
https://streamable.com/2a8vj6

20 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-21 21:13:28)

Bliman,

I'm wondering if your Amplifier is maybe developing a problem.   

With Amplifier OFF...remove the input cables to it.   Turn the Amp back on, and see if you still hear the intermittent, scratchy noise.   Then check to see if you're still getting shocks from your DAC.   

Let us know

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Bliman,

With Amplifier OFF...remove the input cables to it.   Turn the Amp back on, and see if you still hear the intermittent, scratchy noise.   Then check to see if you're still getting shocks from your DAC.   

Let us know

Curt

First I don't know if I understand you enough.
I played some music and after some time the crackles again began in the left loudspeaker (I can't control when the crackles appear). I then unplugged the interconnect from the RME preamp/dac from the cd player. The only thing that is connected besides the obvious of the RME preamp/dac to my power amplifier. And the crackles continued when I disconnected the interconnect.
Tomorrow I will connect the Grace Design m902 preamp/dac to the set in the hope to narrow the problem down a bit. If the crackles appear then. Then I assume it is either the loudspeaker or the power amp. If not then the RME is the problem as far as I can see.

22 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-21 21:48:02)

Bliman wrote:

Ok here goes.
I am going nuts.
I got a few shocks when touching the pin from the socket(one at a time between sitting down). Then I didn't get a shock from the gear, when I touched the pin before.

Clear hint for static body charge!

Curt962 wrote:

Bliman,

Let us know

Curt

I intentionally did NOT suggest such an appproach.

If I'm wrong and the reason for the "shocks" is not static body charge,
separating and testing the components individually could be dangerous if one is really faulty.

Please, test the static discharge.
Then use the antistatic spray, which is good invested 35 bucks anyway to protect your equipment from breaking from the "sparks" you already see.

If that does not help let a professional electronics technician check.
There is nothing a layman can fix if a component is electrically unsafe, really!

23 (edited by Bliman 2020-05-21 21:52:22)

KaiS wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Bliman,

Let us know

Curt

I intentionally did NOT suggest such an appproach.

If I'm wrong and the reason for the "shocks" is not static body charge,
separating and testing the components individually could be dangerous if one is really faulty.

Please, test the static discharge.
Then use the antistatic spray, which is good invested 35 bucks anyway to protect your equipment from breaking from the "sparks" you already see.

If that does not help let a professional electronics technician check.
There is nothing a layman can fix if a component is electrically unsafe, really!

But I did your test. I sometimes got a small spark (very small) when I touched the pin. And then I didn't get any spark when touching the gear.
But now the last couple of days I have this crackle in the left speaker (see video). I think they are not related. And I think that I get the static shocck from laying on the bed or sitting on the bed. I don't think my rug is the problem. What is your opinion of the crackles?
Also thank you both for helping.

24 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-21 22:05:35)

The scratchy noise is a broken component, probably an OPA.
If your power amp has a level control, turn it down, else unplug ONLY THE LEFT CABLE!

Noise still there: power amp broken
Noise gone: ADI-2 broken.

Might be from the static discharge, not unlikely following you description how strong it is.

BTW: static charge like this origins from rub between certain materials, google "Triboelectric effect".
We all know it from undressing from nylon pullovers, in the dark you can even see the multiple sparks.

KaiS wrote:

If your power amp has a level control, turn it down, else unplug ONLY THE LEFT CABLE!

Might be from the static discharge, not unlikely following you description how strong it is.

My power amp hasn't got a level control (lyngdorf sda 2175).
I don't get why I should unplug the left cable. What do I learn from that when it is only in the left loudspeaker?
Or what do you want me to unplug? The left loudspeaker cable? The left channel balanced cable from the RME to my power amplifier?

KaiS wrote:

BTW: dtatic charge like this origins from rub between certain materials, google "Triboelectric effect"
We all know it from undressing from nylon pullovers, in the dark you can even see the multiple sparks.

That's also why I think that the static discharge is from me sitting or rubbing the bed (weird to state it this way smile ).

27 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-21 22:08:26)

The crackling is on the left, yes?
Now unplug the left cable from ADI-2 to the power amp.
If the crackling stays, the power amp is the cause.

Have you seen the styrofoamed cat, funny!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect

KaiS wrote:

Have you seen the styrofoamed cat, funny!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboelectric_effect

Yes only the left speaker is crackling. (and only sporadically)
So does it still apply to unplug the left cable from the ADI-2 to the power amp?
Great article. In my younger years with did the same thing with rubbing a balloon and that stuck to the hand.

29 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-21 22:58:44)

Bliman wrote:
KaiS wrote:

So does it still apply to unplug the left cable from the ADI-2 to the power amp?

Yes, that's the way to isolate the problem.

KaiS wrote:
Bliman wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Ok thank you. I will do that tomorrow. Will report how it goes.

Take your time Bliman.   Troubleshooting any system is typically a process of elimination.   Removing ???s...one by one to find the answer.  The purpose of this exercise was to isolate (disconnect)  your Amplifier from Input Sources as a means of isolating the CAUSE of the problem.   If (with nothing connected to your amp inputs) we still hear strange noises, then it is your Amplifier that has malfunctioned.   I suspect this IS in fact the problem. 

Hang in there Bliman!   Things break sometimes.

Curt

Or, he just got a new pair of shoes with plastic-ish soles, heheh.

33 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-22 08:55:57)

rpgroman wrote:

Or, he just got a new pair of shoes with plastic-ish soles, heheh.

We already excluded that, but you're close, it's a cloth to cloth rub causing the static charge.

Bliman wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Bliman wrote:

Ok thank you. I will do that tomorrow. Will report how it goes.

I just had a better idea, instead of removing one connection:
Exchange the INPUT connections at the power amplifier L<>R.

If still the left speaker makes the noise, the power amp is the cause.

If now the right speaker crackles, it's ADI-2.

Three advantages:
• You get a positive confirmation.
• The confirmation will be there faster, you're not have to wait for something that might not happen (if ADI-2 is the cause).
• You still can listen to music in stereo, just with reversed channels.

34 (edited by ramses 2020-05-22 07:09:07)

>Three advantages:
>• You still can listen to music in stereo, just with reversed channels.

Maybe I misunderstood something .. but where is the advantage ?  Listening to music where e.g. the drumkit is reversed sounds ugly to everybody who knows, on which side snare and hihat has to stand ;-) This is no real option ;-)

This channel reversal at the amp was anyway only temporary for the purpose to isolate the root cause.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have switched the balanced cables from the RME to the power amplifier L/R (switched it on the power amplifier side) and the crackles are still coming from the left side loudspeaker.
Is it certain then that the power amplifier is broken? And would I need to buy a new one then?

36 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-22 16:09:34)

Contact the Amplifier Mfr, or your Audio Dealer to arrange repair. 

Curt
(Expertly observing the Obvious since 1962)

I have made contact with my audio dealer. And I can bring the power amplifier in.
Thanks for all the help.

Super!   Hope we were at least of some assistance in this matter!  All will be well!

Curt

Doctorate:- Bogus University Learning Laboratory Specialized High Intensity Training.  (B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T.)

GO BS!

big_smile

Curt

Bliman...

PM me with the status of your Amplifier.   Else, let's make this thread disappear yes?

A malfunctioning Amplifier could do weird things. Including Shocks.  None of it RME related.

Thanks! 

Curt

40 (edited by Armisael 2021-03-22 22:20:37)

Had a similar issue actually. Whenever I was touching anything around it, I was getting shocked. And, it was not something like ... some small shocks that you might not even feel, they were really hard. I have actually had to call for some certified electricians so they would solve this issue. They have actually told me the same thing, the amplifier was not grounded. It took only 10 minutes for the guys from https://bates-electric.com/ to fix it. They actually told me that it was due to a certain mistake that I've made when I installed the amplifier.

41 (edited by KaiS 2021-03-18 11:21:55)

Armisael wrote:

Had a similar issue actually. Whenever I was touching anything around it, I was getting shocked. And, it was not something like ... some small shocks that you might not even feel, they were really hard.

How hard?

• Like shaking your arm continuously - in this case something in your chain is broken (not necessarily ADI-2) and you should immediately stop using it.

• Or more like a single spark, flashing from your finger, then nothing more?
That’s a static electricity discharge that origins from you charging by moving around, e.g. on a nylon carpet.
Annoying, not dangerous and not ADI-2’s fault.

These are worth getting for your country’s socket type.
They are relatively cheap and very easy to use and understand.
(Also available when an electrician might not be!)

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Kecheer … mp;sr=8-12

I always test a ‘new’ socket before plugging in anything expensive!
Good luck

I had similar problems introduced through a antenna cable from a radio. It caused a relatively high voltage on all devices on the same circuit. I solved it by adding what I think is a galvanic isolator where the antenna cable enters the house, this removed this voltage.

I was getting static discharges a few weeks ago, to the point where it temporarily put one of my amplifiers in (I think) protect mode.

My workaround was to discharge myself by touching the earthed metal front panel of my subwoofer before touching any other equipment.

I isolated the problem to a pair of thermal longjohns!

This discharge is static.
I bought some slippers a few weeks ago. When I wear them and touch anything metal that’s grounded I get a shock.
If your hifi components are NOT grounded you will not get a shock.
Certain materials rubbing on a nylon carpet ect will produce static discharge.

My new slippers are in the bin, no more problems.

46 (edited by KaiS 2021-03-23 07:16:28)

terrys999 wrote:

This discharge is static.
I bought some slippers a few weeks ago. When I wear them and touch anything metal that’s grounded I get a shock.
If your hifi components are NOT grounded you will not get a shock.
Certain materials rubbing on a nylon carpet ect will produce static discharge.

My new slippers are in the bin, no more problems.

Even if your equipment is not grounded you get this annoying, but non-dangerous discharge sparks, because the charge equalizes between you and the hifi.

I would not name it “get shocked”, because this implies an electric shock from mains voltage, which is very dangerous and happens with broken electric devices only.

No need to throw away your shoes.
There are solutions for the core problem of static charge - antistatic spray that is applied to the floor or carpet.
This is a professional one:
https://www.weidinger.eu/en/p/wl23898