Topic: Native DSD over USB ?

Hello,
I read this topic but not sure I understand %100 :
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28674

SOtM just reply saying my RME ADI-2 does not support native DSD. From what I read at the above link,I understand is supported only over Windows ASIO.
I stream with my SOtM 200 Neo from my Roon Rock server and than connected over USB to ADI-2 dac.
Someone to enlightening me :-)
Thanks in advance.

2 (edited by ning 2020-05-27 17:14:51)

Re: Native DSD over USB ?

It does not support USB altsetting-3 extension of the UAC to transport DSD (which some other DACs do). Some vendors call that "native DSD".
But it support DSD over PCM (DOP). You can use USB to transport DOP to ADI-2 Pro/DAC on any operating system.
On the DAC side, Support DOP or USB altsetting-3 are equivalent. Either will send exactly the same DSD signal to the DAC chip.
There will be zero difference after decoding the USB packet.

Some OSes such as Mac or iOS, do not even support altsetting-3. In these cases, you have no choice but to use DOP.

The main drawback for not support altsetting-3 is, most hifi music players are not implemented correctly in DOP mode. When you pause/skip DSD music, it will output 0x0 (PCM silence) during that short duration instead of DSD silence (dsd marker bits + 0x69). ADI-2 will believe you switched to PCM mode and back to DSD, and cause a hiccup when you pause/skip.

If you are using a music player that is free from this bug, you're all good.

tcb_38 wrote:

Hello,
I read this topic but not sure I understand %100 :
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28674

SOtM just reply saying my RME ADI-2 does not support native DSD. From what I read at the above link,I understand is supported only over Windows ASIO.
I stream with my SOtM 200 Neo from my Roon Rock server and than connected over USB to ADI-2 dac.
Someone to enlightening me :-)
Thanks in advance.

I can play native DSD from foobar2000 using the ASIO drivers. I did not try DSD over PCM. I don't know what SOtM is but anyway clearly the problem is not the RME DAC. It works with native DSD.

try using below in the MPD Config of your SotM instead of DoP - it worked for me playing DSD to RME

- Native DSD type 0

NO. If you use MPD, you need to update to the latest version, and configure as:

// Mac
audio_output {
type "osx"
device "ADI-2 Pro (XXXXX)"
dop "yes"
hog_device "true"
name "RME ADI-2 Pro FS"
mixer_type "none"
}

// Linux
audio_output {
type "alsa"
device "hw:CARD=XXXX,DEV=0"
dop "yes"
name "RME ADI-2 Pro FS"
mixer_type "none"
}

I'm one of the developer of MPD so I can ensure you this is the right solution.