Topic: Headphones, loudness, attenuation

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before - I couldn’t find an answer.  If I’ve missed it would someone mind sending me a link?

Should the ADI-2 Pro loudness feature be used with headphones?  I only seem to use a very limited volume range, so it doesn’t really seem worth it - any guidelines on this?

Also, I seem to be listening at around -50dB with my Shure SRH1540s.  I don’t notice noise, but is further attenuation possible/recommended?

Many thanks,

James

2 (edited by N00b 2020-05-28 11:27:31)

Re: Headphones, loudness, attenuation

Dynamic loudness is useful when you listen at low levels; I admit I deactivate it with headphone listening...

For the -50 dB listening, if you don't hear any noise, don't bother and enjoy smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

I've created my own routine to set up loudness.

The result works quite well for me keeping the received bass/midrange/treble balance constant over a wide volume range.

See here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 78#p154578

Thanks to both of you. KaiS do you use dynamic loudness with headphones, or just with speakers?

5 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-28 18:12:21)

Jas0_0 wrote:

Thanks to both of you. KaiS do you use dynamic loudness with headphones, or just with speakers?

Both.
You very likely need different settings for at least the "Low Vol Ref" parameter, unless you end up with same figures in your "normal" listening level for both.

Conveniently Line 1/2 and Headphones 3/4 have independent control.

Thanks, I’ll give your method a go,
J

One more question on the subject of headphones.  Is there a go-to high quality, no nonsense brand for replacement OFC MMCX headphone cables that pros use (like Van Damme is for speaker cables/interconnects)?

I'm sure the cable that came with my Shures is perfect sonically, but it's too short for living room use and too stiff and long for comfortable portable use.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

James

Hi, sorry if I bring back this old thread but I need help with the loudness parameters. I find this function very useful for my listening sessions with headphones because Im a low volume listener. I have read the manual and the recommendations here but Im still a bit confused.

Im using the "auto ref level" with the headphones output and my normal listening levels are between 52-48/45 max. According to the manual I should set the "Low vol ref" on the Loudness settings to -20 below that, so that would be -72 , but that doesnt make a difference when I turn loudness on. It works better when I put the Low vol ref lower.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

You don't set it to your typical listening level, you set it 20 dB lower (as you did) - for when you listen more low level than usual. Only then it should change the sound. So indeed there is no difference when you stay at 52-48 dB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You don't set it to your typical listening level, you set it 20 dB lower (as you did) - for when you listen more low level than usual. Only then it should change the sound. So indeed there is no difference when you stay at 52-48 dB.

Got it, thanks!