Topic: Channel / Title-mismatch on Overview screen (ADI-2 Pro)

Hi RME.

For quite some time i've had an issue with my ADI-2 Pro, and while it isn't show-stopping in any shape or form, i'd like to sort it out if possible.

If you look at the attached screenshot, channel 1/2 is selected (bottom left), but the title says Phones Out 3/4. The analyzer displays input from 1/2 (AES) - as does the "pre-attenuation" metering (thin bars @ top+bottom) on the level meter, but the main level meter reads UFL, which is correct, since i'm not sending anything to the 3/4 output (via SPDIF).

Two clicks on the main volume knob will solve the problem temporarily (eg. switch to 3/4 and back to 1/2), but eventually it will revert back to this "unintended split view". I thought it might be a jittery encoder, but then again i cannot come up with any combination of keys that would put the unit into this state.

Any theories? Or perhaps people with the same experience?

Best,
Rune

https://i.imgur.com/tTJUB68.jpg

Rune Borup @ FishCorp
Producer / Engineer / Composer
RayDAT > 2 x ADI-8 QS | AES+SPDIF > ADI-2 Pro

Re: Channel / Title-mismatch on Overview screen (ADI-2 Pro)

The display view is independent from the volume choice. In the above case one press on encoder 1 would have synced it. This is also how you de-sync it, as you can look at any input/output/all while volume control stays where it should stay.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

.. i'm not entirely convinced this is my issue, but of course i'll test it. The issue happens without any interaction on my behalf; i never touch the "secondary encoders" in my day to day operation, so at the very least it's encoder noise / jitter on my particular unit.

In any case, if this is indeed the intended behavior, i'd like to question the display-configuration: the title displays "Phones 3/4", yet the spectrum analyzer as well as the input-level metering (aka "pre-fader volume") displays the levels from 1/2. The only thing related to the title is the main volume level meters .. which doesn't seem all that intuitive to me.

I'll check it out and report back smile

Best,
/Rune/

Rune Borup @ FishCorp

The display is correct -- it displays really the channel stated in the title --  but I think you're mistaking the routing. In most operating modes of the Pro, Phones 3/4 gets the same input stream as all the other outputs (1/2, and the digital outs). It may have different mastering settings, though (level, ref-level, EQ, width, crossfeed, DAC-fiter, etc).

Thats why you think you see channel 1/2 levels and spectrum, but it's not the case.

When you set up the Pro so that Phones 3/4 gets its own independant signal (USB multichannel mode and phones 3/4 source set to USB 3/4, or monitoring one of the analog/digital inputs) you will see that the display, and the actual output, is correct.

The bottom line in the display is a static status display that is always preset in any of the six top-level screens (cycled through with encoder 1 button press)

KSTR wrote:

Thats why you think you see channel 1/2 levels and spectrum, but it's not the case.

Are you trying to pull a jedi mind-trick on me? wink

Anyway - as i wrote in my initial post, 1/2 is fed by AES and 3/4 by SPDIF from a RayDAT, so there ought to be a difference. Pressing the no 2 encoder does get me to Phones page with volume focus remaining on 1/2 -  and the metering and analyzer displays correctly, so at the very least it could be a shady encoder, since the page-change happens with no interaction on my behalf. However - i'm still quite positive there is more to this, so i guess i'll have to wait until the next time the unit changes on its own, and then do some testing, so i can see if this it's all in my mind or not ..

Best,
Rune

Rune Borup @ FishCorp

Basken, are you in stereo or multi-channel mode? What firmware?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Basken, are you in stereo or multi-channel mode? What firmware?

CC-mode is Stereo - but the unit is operating stand-alone (AD/DA mode - fed via AES+SPDIF from a RayDAT, no USB connection). Firmware is V96.

I haven't seen any random changes in the display over the last couple of days, so perhaps encoder 2 just needed a workout to stop  the glitching. I remember making a mental note of the information de-sync, but it always happens when i'm in the middle of a studio-session and can't really call a timeout to examine the issue. I'll make a point of doing that if / when it happens again smile.

Rune Borup @ FishCorp

Probably unrelated to this thread. so I posted it in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 58#p154958

ning wrote:

Probably unrelated to this thread. so I posted it in https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 58#p154958

.. very interesting! I'll check it out first thing in the morning, after i've had some sanity-coffee ..

Rune Borup @ FishCorp

Hmm! I can't really coax out this error, so i'm starting to open up to the fact i might have been mistaken in the first place. I did, however, find a little curiosity while trying to abuse multiple button presses at the time in search of the de-sync state.

If you press and hold an encoder in - turn the volume up or down - and release the encoder, the display is stuck on the "Big volume display" until you turn the volume knob again wink. Hardly a show-stopping issue .. but interesting never the less ..

Rune Borup @ FishCorp

It's a feature, and AFAIR limited to 2 minutes or something.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME