Topic: DigiCheck NG for macOS X - preview v0.85 available

DigiCheck Next Generation v 0.85 is now available as preview for download. This is the second preview. Basic information about DC NG is found in this thread post: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 60#p154260

Changes in 0.82 and up

In our first update (v0.82) we focused on fixing all reported (and some more) issues. A big thanks to all who gave feedback, and those who even tested with us over the weekend! The suggestions posted on the other thread are on our list now, so don't worry if there is not much news in v 0.82. These are the changes:

- Smaller minimum width is now available on 2 and 4 bar meters, and smaller overall size for all windows

- Made sure no I/Os are missing on units with lots of channels (MADIface XT, HDSPe MADI FX)

- Fixed Spectral Analyzer and Multichannel Level Meter when running on nVidia graphics cards

- Further graphics optimization for lower resource usage and reduced GPU load

- Fixed frozen window when moved to Dock and back

- 2 Vector Scopes in one window caused corrupted graphics

- Fixed crash when starting the R128 meters

- Fixed crash when opening or closing a new window

- Improved the Set Sample Rate function

- Size and position of Settings windows is now stored

- Added a note when Metal is not supported

- Added an app icon

We managed to add two new features:

- Added Prevent Sleep option in menu

- Added an option to let DigiCheck run on the GPU that is directly connected to the display

The latter needs an explanation. This is an automated version of selecting the graphics card where DigiCheck runs on. If you have only one (Intel) then this option is greyed out - nothing to select. If your Mac also has an nVidia or ATI graphics card, then DC usually runs on these. Examining the situation on our MacBooks we found that letting DC run on the integrated Intel graphics is more efficient (and completely frees up the other one). The reason is that our MacBook's display is directly connected to the Intel graphics card. Everything rendered on nVidia/ATI is first transferred to Intel, then send to the screen. This additional transfer step seems to cause a slightly worse graphics performance. Instead of giving you three options (select Intel manually, select nVidia/ATI manually, Auto) we opted for the easiest one. The new option will use the directly connected graphics card, no matter which one that is. Please note that this setting does not become active until the app is exit and started again.

We hope this will be a stable, first version for an official public release, a solid base for further additions and extended functionality.

Download, updated to 0.871
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/digi … c_0871.zip

Update: this text and link has been updated from 0.81 to 0.82 to 0.84 to 0.85. Details of 0.84 see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 56#p155256

Details of 0.85 see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 74#p155374

Details of 0.86 Beta 1 see here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 49#p171749

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

2 (edited by shneashn 2020-05-27 04:13:38)

Re: DigiCheck NG for macOS X - preview v0.85 available

Cool
https://i.ibb.co/NZDcf1f/2020-05-27-10-16-34.png

Hello!

Is there any trick you have to do to make it work? FF800 - MacBook Pro 13 - 2015

Mixer goes in 7/8 , selected inputs in Digicheck 7 and 8 and nothing...

Thanks! FireWire devices were not supported correctly. I changed the first post from v 0.80 to v 0.81 which fixes this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Noelpetro 2020-05-27 19:34:57)

Hello there!

Does this work with the Multiface II (connected to a Macbook Pro 2018,via Sonnet Expresscard to Thunderbolt adapter + Apple Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter)???
Thanks in advance!

Of course. Why you ask?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by hselters 2020-05-27 22:24:34)

It is running fine here so far, also has a nice icon now.
Will the feature to monitor output and playback channels come back?
And an Oscilloscope would be awesome!

hselters wrote:

It is running fine here so far, also has a nice icon now.
Will the feature to monitor output and playback channels come back?
And an Oscilloscope would be awesome!

MC wrote:

The suggestions posted on the other thread are on our list now, so don't worry if there is not much news in v 0.81.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is fantastic Mathias!! Love it.. working great!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

10 (edited by ctepeo 2020-05-28 12:59:27)

ctepeo wrote:

Hello!

Is there any trick you have to do to make it work? FF800 - MacBook Pro 13 - 2015

Mixer goes in 7/8 , selected inputs in Digicheck 7 and 8 and nothing...

v0.81 still not working for me, also checked by selecting inputs 1/2 and loopback on and still no signal in Digicheck

"Fixed Spectral Analyzer and Multichannel Level Meter when running on nVidia graphics cards"

I can confirm, no glitches on GTX 1080 Ti, MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra smile

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

ctepeo wrote:

v0.81 still not working for me, also checked by selecting inputs 1/2 and loopback on and still no signal in Digicheck

Works for us with a Fireface 800. I wonder if you selected the FF800 in the Options / Audio Device Setup, then selected the input channels that you want to use by a right click on the instrument.

If you did this then please send us the workspace file so we can check all settings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

After using it for some days, no more graphical issues and very stable software!!

Thanks.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

MC wrote:

Of course. Why you ask?

It is somehow not working for me, I don't know why. I open the App and it always tells me: NO CONFIGURED AUDIO DEVICE, GO TO AUDIO DEVICE SETUP.  So I go to AUDIO DEVICE SETUP, check IN USE, choose the Multiface ii from the drop-down menu and then click OK. Back on the app, when I try to ENABLE AUDIO PROCESSING, it comes always the same NO CONFIGURED AUDIO DEVICE, GO TO AUDIO DEVICE SETUP. I just won't work.

Could you help me? Would be much appreciated.

All the best,
Ernesto

You are right. Will be fixed tomorrow.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You are right. Will be fixed tomorrow.

awesome! thank you!

It does not work on mac Catalina with my Fireface UC.
On totalMix 1.63, I selected output as assign>main out> AN1/2 and clicked Loopback.
And then on DigiCheck NG, I selected Option>Audio Device Setup>In use - Fireface UC and also selected input channels by right click on instruments.

Please kindly help. Thank you in advance!

Check the inputs first before trying Loopback.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by djelonh 2020-05-29 07:24:34)

Thank you Matthias !
Works like charm here..
love DC NG !

Thank you for your prompt advice.

Sorry but it is still not working..
I checked DigiCheck inputs first before trying Loopback.

Your description is unclear. What means 'not working'? What does the title of the window say?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your response.
I mean there is still no signal in DigiCheck.
The title of DigiCheck window is "DigiCheck NG - processing active: fireface UC Mac". No popup window.

Then it should work. You tried the multichannel level meter to see all inputs and the noise on the analog inputs?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Noelpetro wrote:

It is somehow not working for me

That was a simple fix. The name 'Hammerfall DSP Multiface (serial number)' was simply too long (shame on us). This issue is not limited to the Multiface, it depends on how long the shown serial number is. Version 0.82 (first post updated) fixes this now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Noelpetro wrote:

It is somehow not working for me

That was a simple fix. The name 'Hammerfall DSP Multiface (serial number)' was simply too long (shame on us). This issue is not limited to the Multiface, it depends on how long the shown serial number is. Version 0.82 (first post updated) fixes this now.

Wunderbar! Tausend Dank! Working great now!

MC wrote:
ctepeo wrote:

Works for us with a Fireface 800. I wonder if you selected the FF800 in the Options / Audio Device Setup, then selected the input channels that you want to use by a right click on the instrument.

If you did this then please send us the workspace file so we can check all settings.

where should I send you the workspace? should I upload to wetransfer and put the link here?

Also tried v0.82 ... still nothing

ctepeo wrote:

Please be more specific - what exactly are you trying to have DC display here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
ctepeo wrote:

Please be more specific - what exactly are you trying to have DC display here?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

trying to have some audio signal ...

And what audio signal exactly would that be....?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

ctepeo wrote:

where should I send you the workspace? should I upload to wetransfer and put the link here?

Yes, please.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you again!

Yes, I have tried the multichannel level meter but no signal.
And also no noise on the analog inputs.

If possible, could you please check the wetransfer link below?
I uploaded the workspace and the screen short of my DigiCheck and TotalMix.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/d6e38e … 420/2369f7

Thank you in advance.

Thanks again, we're liking DigiCheck NG. We transitioned from Mojave to Catalina and worked around our remaining concerns:
1. Missing hardware level metering. Additional routing and loopback (Playback 01-32 -> Output 33-64 -> Input 33-64) allows monitoring input and playback during live broadcasts.
2. Settings seem volatile (e.g. turn on/off K-metering, close/reopen a window?). Designed workspace and settings files to (re)load studio and mobile configurations.
(3. tangent) Missing (32-bit) MIDI Remote. Lost remote control of OctaMic XTC sync/routing/headphones and M-32 DA sync/routing/fan. Thankfully, those change infrequently.

Little Mountain Music
MacOS 14.3.1, MADIface XT, 4 x OctaMic XTC, M-32 DA

KKL wrote:

Thank you again!

Yes, I have tried the multichannel level meter but no signal.
And also no noise on the analog inputs.

If possible, could you please check the wetransfer link below?
I uploaded the workspace and the screen short of my DigiCheck and TotalMix.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/d6e38e … 420/2369f7

Thank you in advance.

I loaded your two workspaces and it works. What is the current firmware version of your UC, and which driver do you use?

Edit: you could have a look into our new feature, menu View, Interface Statistics. The Load column should show for example 9%. This is the audio processing load only, no graphics. If that one is 0 it would mean that despite showing 'Processing active' DC NG is stopped.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I loaded your two workspaces and it works. What is the current firmware version of your UC, and which driver do you use?

Edit: you could have a look into our new feature, menu View, Interface Statistics. The Load column should show for example 9%. This is the audio processing load only, no graphics. If that one is 0 it would mean that despite showing 'Processing active' DC NG is stopped.

Thank you for your response!

The current firmware version is v138. The driver was v3.18, so I just updated to v3.19.
But still no signal in DG NG.

I also checked the Interface Statistics. The load column shows 3%.

These are bad news...as we have to think hard for more ideas on how to get to the bottom of it...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

These are bad news...as we have to think hard for more ideas on how to get to the bottom of it...

Thank you! Love RME.

KKL wrote:
MC wrote:

Thank you! Love RME.

It seems when DigiCheck asked you for allowance to access the microphone you clicked No. Then all record data received by DC NG is muted by the OS. Go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy, Microphone, and allow Digicheck NG.

Might also be the solution for user ctepeo.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

38 (edited by tzzsmk 2020-05-31 15:35:29)

couple intriguing things I'd like to ask:

1) how is buffer size treated, within MacOS CoreAudio? I thought MacOS default is 512, here in DigiCheck 256 is default which can be changed, and most DAWs offer various buffer settings too - will those affect visualization, latency or overall performance of DigiCheck? I mean, I would guess DigiCheck is reading RME internal DSP, not acting as audio application, right? I don't see any change in % shown in Interface Statistics when changing buffer either

2) is it possible to monitor output without using Loopback? I've been testing new DigiCheck with multiple RME interfaces simultaneously and it gets quickly messy when using all Multichannel meters which are actually showing Loopbacks and physical inputs only, while TotalMix is literally flooded with output meters only (since it cannot display Loopback inputs)
see, this is what I mean for ex.: https://i.imgur.com/f4Era8f.png

3) one little inconvenience - if using right-click in MacOS (not enabled default though), I can right-click DigiCheck while inactive and whatever window is opened (Type Selection, Input, Appearance etc..) it doesn't pop up in front, just bounces in MacOS dock;
on the other hand if DigiCheck is window is active in front, right-clicking and opening any aforementioned element does show it in front

4) bug I found - in Audio Device Setup, by default it messes up with multiple interfaces somehow, so later if I (re)assign various RME devices, but leave some of them unticked (=not "In Use") I still get error "Same Audio Device can not be assigned twice!") see pic:
https://i.imgur.com/LoXRXOZ.png

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

MC wrote:
KKL wrote:
MC wrote:

Thank you! Love RME.

It seems when DigiCheck asked you for allowance to access the microphone you clicked No. Then all record data received by DC NG is muted by the OS. Go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy, Microphone, and allow Digicheck NG.

I just tried it.
I click checkbox of Digicheck NG on Security & Privacy to allow to access the microphone . Yes, Right!
Now It works perfectly.

Thank you so much for your excellent support.
Love RME!

Yeah! I love it!
Thanks RME for that great tool … finaly! This Version of DC NG is nearly perfect to me!

@Mathias: Thanks a lot for your support in this Forum!

Beside at noticed: The App Logo is cool! Now it matches the Totalmix Logo! – But, what about the "Fireface USB Settings" Logo ;-)
I'm joking! There are more important things!

kind regards

Loving the new DigiCheck.
Any chance we can get an "Always On Top" option like TotalMix?

I have it floating over my picture screen for monitoring (post-production) but it can get easily hidden when bringing into focus other DAW windows.

Hi!

Any chance we will see Bit Statistics & Noise !?

and a big thank you RME for this new DigiCheck NG :-)

regards S-EH

I changed the opening post to version 0.84. These are the latest changes:

- Added Always on Top to the Window menu (works per window!)

- Added RMS Slow to all instruments Bar settings. This includes some further fixes and cleanup in the Settings dialogs.

- Added note on startup in case Microphone is not allowed for DigiCheck NG

- Fixed right mouse button replacement (left mouse plus Ctrl)

- Improved right mouse button behaviour between multiple windows and apps

- In case the same audio interface has been added to the Audio Setup twice, the second entry will be removed automatically on exit

- Added workaround for a graphics hanging state when multiple windows were used and Safari covered one completely

Enjoy!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

tzzsmk wrote:

1) how is buffer size treated, within MacOS CoreAudio? I thought MacOS default is 512, here in DigiCheck 256 is default which can be changed, and most DAWs offer various buffer settings too - will those affect visualization, latency or overall performance of DigiCheck?

Yes, the smaller the buffers the more quick and fluid are the level meters. That's not different to ASIO Windows. 256 is fully sufficient IMHO.

tzzsmk wrote:

I mean, I would guess DigiCheck is reading RME internal DSP, not acting as audio application, right?

No. This is CoreAudio only. Hardware level meters would be different.

tzzsmk wrote:

2) is it possible to monitor output without using Loopback?

We plan to add this later on.

tzzsmk wrote:

3) one little inconvenience - if using right-click in MacOS (not enabled default though)

Changed in version 0.84.

tzzsmk wrote:

4) bug I found - in Audio Device Setup, by default it messes up with multiple interfaces somehow

I wouldn't call this a bug. It is a useless entry/choice performed by the user. Anyway, we added a routine to remove this doubled entry, so problem fixed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

S-E Hansson wrote:

Any chance we will see Bit Statistics & Noise !?

Definitely.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I changed the opening post to version 0.84. These are the latest changes:

- Added Always on Top to the Window menu (works per window!)

Very nice.
Looking forward to the bit info being added.

Still seeing a bug (was in 0.82 as well)
Vector Audio Scope -- the phase correlation meter is non-functional until you move or resize that "instrument" when starting Digicheck NG. And by non-functional -- there isn't any marker on it visible at all. Once you resize it, a marker shows and it starts working (fluctuating between -1/+1)

In my case, I have two vector audio scope instruments (one for stereo channels, one for surround.)If I adjust the sizing of the stereo, it starts to work but the surround continues not to work (even though resizing one affects the other.) I have to click on the surround and then resize and it starts to work. The actual vector scopes work from the beginning with no issue. 

I also have the Surround View instrument as part of the same workspace and that works from startup (both phase and scope) with no issue and no need to do anything for all parts of it.
macOS 13.6 and nVidia GTX 980 4GB.

Yes!
That was the solution, thank you!

MC wrote:
KKL wrote:
MC wrote:

Thank you! Love RME.

rightbrain wrote:

Still seeing a bug (was in 0.82 as well)
Vector Audio Scope -- the phase correlation meter is non-functional until you move or resize that "instrument" when starting Digicheck NG. And by non-functional -- there isn't any marker on it visible at all. Once you resize it, a marker shows and it starts working (fluctuating between -1/+1)

In my case, I have two vector audio scope instruments (one for stereo channels, one for surround.)If I adjust the sizing of the stereo, it starts to work but the surround continues not to work (even though resizing one affects the other.) I have to click on the surround and then resize and it starts to work. The actual vector scopes work from the beginning with no issue. 

I also have the Surround View instrument as part of the same workspace and that works from startup (both phase and scope) with no issue and no need to do anything for all parts of it.
macOS 13.6 and nVidia GTX 980 4GB.

We can not reproduce this. Question:

- can you revive the phase meter by a double click (= reset) into the instrument?

- can you send us your workspace?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

50 (edited by rightbrain 2020-06-03 22:38:47)

MC wrote:

We can not reproduce this. Question:

- can you revive the phase meter by a double click (= reset) into the instrument?

Nothing changes.

update:
Though double-clicking didn't work anywhere, I did find that I don't have to resize. I just have to click once after the cursor goes to the "divider adjustment" shape (the resize) but didn't have to actually move anything.

Also checked that loading a workspace after Digicheck was already open and the meter was working (for instance re-loading the same workspace) the meter continued to work in the reloaded workspace. Closing and opening DigiCheck NG (whole application) and it went back to not working.

You can see it missing as part of the top-left quadrant.
https://i.imgur.com/LmHdkJP.png

MC wrote:

- can you send us your workspace?

Yes. Sending.