Topic: Behringer Ultramatch SRC2496 AES to UFX

Ran out of int/outs on my UFX so am I picked up a Behringer SRC2496  to hook up to the UFX in order to add more external effects units to my setup. All Analog and Both of my ADAT ins/outs are used up (ADI-8 Pros). So all I have left are the AES and Spdif ports. Am having trouble hooking this up. Anyone done this? I can see signal coming into the Behringer, but cannot get it to go out into the UFX via AES cable.

Since I am also using my ADAT ins/outs (UFX as master), what would my clocking settings be on the UFX?

Reading in the UFX manual, I found:

"ADAT2:
This optical TOSLINK output can operate as ADAT or AES/SPDIF output."

So I'm guessing this means that I am not able to use BOTH Adat AND AES/Spdif simultaneously, correct?

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-04-26 17:08:44)

Re: Behringer Ultramatch SRC2496 AES to UFX

Hello!

Firstly, you need to connect both AES/EBU Input and Output to the Behringer's Output and Input, respectively, in order for it to get properly clocked.
Also, set the Behringer as slave and clocked by the AES/EBU Input.

You can use both outputs simultaneously. ADAT2 as ADAT and AES/EBU for what it is!
The difference is that you could set ADAT2 as AES/EBU if you would like it that way, via the UFX settings!

EDIT: To answer your question, this is correct, you cannot use the Optical Output as ADAT and SPDIF at the same time! Different protocols!
          ADAT -> 8 Channels, SPDIF -> Stereo

Now, your clocking settings should be:
Clock source set to "Internal"

At the "Options" settings:
ADAT2 set to "ADAT"
AES Input set to "AES" , TMS -> unchecked
AES Output -> Most likely to "Professional", but try "Consumer"(SPDIF), as well.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thank you so much! I think I have it working now. Not sure if some of my buttons are sticky on the Behringer, but I had to hold down the clock source button until it kind flashed and popped into sync. But the AES reads Lock at 44.1 on the UFX. Now to figure out how to integrate it into my patch bay. It seems like I cannot un-link the L/R of the AES signal so I may use it for a stereo compressor and move two mono compressors to the ADAT side of things. I really appreciate your help on it.

You 're welcome! Glad, I could be of help!

Not sure if some of my buttons are sticky on the Behringer, but I had to hold down the clock source button until it kind flashed and popped into sync

Perhaps, there is dust accumulated. Those kinds of buttons, usually, do! But, since it locked, all good!

It seems like I cannot un-link the L/R of the AES signal

I think you can!

In TotalMix, if you click on the AES/EBU Output(third row), so it becomes selected(highlighted), you can then click on the "Settings" button(the "tool-like" icon on the right side). There will be a "lit" Stereo button. If you de-activate it, you will, then, have two Mono Outputs!

Thanks for the tip!

Hi MetalHeadKeys, I sent you an email via the this site. Did you receive?

Hello Sunshy!

Sorry, hadn't checked my e-mails for a couple of days!
Check your e-mails! I replied over there!

Good info--I just scored a Fireface UFX and plan to use my SRC2496 with it in the same way!

Let me know if you get it working SilentSky. I was unable to get the AES IN working on my SRC2496 so I was not able to set this up. I got signal coming OUT of the UFX through AES but could not read anything coming into the SRC2496. Might be a bad input on my SRC2496? Anyway, post your settings if you get it working!

Will do. Are you using DMX or AES/EBU cables? Or regular XLR mic cables? Also be sure the Ultramatch is set to AD/DA mode.

I am using AES/EBU XLR cables. Would love to get this working!

Any progress?

13 (edited by silentsky 2020-05-27 19:58:51)

Yes--I only just now had a chance to connect things up and test them, because I had to order in a couple of new DMX cables. Here's what worked for me:

On the front panel of the SRC2496:
Source: XLR
Mode: A/D & D/A CONV
Sample Rate: should show whatever you have your Fireface (or other master clock) set to. Mine is 48 kHz
Clock: DIG IN
Format: AES/EBU
Word Length: 24 BIT

In the Fireface settings dialog on your computer:
AES Input: AES
AES Output: Professional

That did it for me!

I'll also mention that I have a DMX cable connected both ways between the Fireface UFX and the SRC2496: one from the SRC2496 digital XLR out to the Fireface AES/EBU digital in, and another from the Fireface AES/EBU output to the SRC2496 digital XLR in. This is necessary for the SRC2496 to clock to the DIG IN as I stated in the settings. I you chose to the use the Word Clock input on the SRC2496 instead, you'd need to set the Clock button to "EXTERNAL".

Finally, be sure you've connected the DIGITAL XLR input and output on the SCR2496 to the Fireface, and are NOT using the ANALOG XLR jacks for connection to the Fireface.

If the settings above don't work for you, you might try doing a hard reset of your SRC2496 and then try again. To do the hard reset:

1. Turn the power off on the SRC2496.
2. While holding down the Emphasis and Copy buttons, turn the unit on. The unit should be reset.
3. Try the settings in my post again and see if it works.

Thanks for the info. I will try the reset and try again. But I've beginning to believe that either the AES input of the Behringer, or the output of the RME is not working. I've successfully been able to get analog from the Behringer into the RME, but not vice versa.

All you have to do is plug the UFX output directly to the UFX input. Then you will see in the Settings dialog Input Status if a signal arrives or not. And can further check with sending audio via TotalMix FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good thinking. I will test that. Thank you.

The Fireface UFX can also accept S/PDIF through its XLR digital input. So if you find out the digital XLR output of your SRC2496 is bad, you might try connecting its digital RCA output instead. You'd need an RCA-to-XLR digital cable or adapter, but it should work. Page 43 of the Fireface UFX manual shows you how to wire the XLR to RCA cable/s for such an application.

I wrote a response a few days ago but it did not go through.  I got this working after doing the reset suggested by Silentsky. Having a lot of fun using my outboard compressor as an insert. Thanks to you all for your valuable insight.

P.S. At least on my behringer unit, some buttons work immediately and some take holding down for a full 3 seconds for it to work.

Great--glad to hear it! I think the SRC2496 is great to be a budget-priced Behringer unit. The input can get a little noisy if you boost the input gain too much, so don't go too crazy there and you should be fine. It's also perfectly usable as a DA converter and gives you an extra headphone amp as a bonus.