Topic: AES/EBU to SPDIF cable/adapter

Dear,

I would like to connect a HIFI amp (Rotel A14) what has an SPDIF (consumer) input to my RME Fireface UFXII via a AES/EBU->SPDIF cable/adapter. Could you please draw my attention to the RIGHT cable/adapter?

BTW, I have connected the ADAT output of my RME Fireface UFXII (running at 44,1 kHz) to the Rotel's optical input (this amp has 2 optical inputs, too), but that does not seem to work.

Stefan.

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

Re: AES/EBU to SPDIF cable/adapter

> BTW, I have connected the ADAT output of my RME Fireface UFXII (running at 44,1 kHz) to the Rotel's
> optical input (this amp has 2 optical inputs, too), but that does not seem to work.

Try the ADAT2 output and set it to SPDIF protocol.
HiFi device do not understand ADAT protocol.
Only ADAT2 output can be set to optical SPDIF in the RME settings dialog.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have tried that, connected the ADAT 2 output to the Rotel's optical input and set the ADAT2 output to AES/SPDIF protocol of my RME Fireface UFX-II. Indeed, the Rotel's display clearly shows 44.1 kHz, but for whatever reason it does not recognize the incoming signal; I have tried channels 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, and 15/16 on the RME Fireface UFX-II. So what is wrong?

BR Stef
RME Fireface UFX II, RME ARC USB, ADAM Audio, Big Sur, DP, VEPRO, Cubase 13 Pro.

You need to set AES Format as well, according to manual:

Output Options
AES Format
The AES output signal can have the Channel Status Professional or Consumer (SPDIF). This setting is also valid when ADAT2 has been set as AES/SPDIF output. For further details please refer to chapter 21.2

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by StefanSNO 2020-06-03 15:47:48)

Here is what I have set under "Output Options"

AES format=Consumer
Optical 2 Out=AES/SPDIF

...and had no success. Indeed, when reading the manual (chapter 21.1) I have realised that I had to send the signal to the AES channel...and now all is working fine.
I was sending the signal to ADAT 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 and 15/16...what was wrong.

BR Stef

6 (edited by ramses 2020-06-03 16:00:11)

Good that you found it. I didn't remember anymore that smth like this is required.

:-)
So by setting:
AES format=Consumer
Optical 2 Out=AES/SPDIF
the ADAT 2 output becomes AES/SPDIF, correct?

BR Stef

Page 43 of the Fireface UFX II manual shows you how to wire the XLR to RCA cable/s for connecting S/PDIF to the AES/EBU input & output:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ufx2_e.pdf

silentsky wrote:

Page 43 of the Fireface UFX II manual shows you how to wire the XLR to RCA cable/s for connecting S/PDIF to the AES/EBU input & output:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fface_ufx2_e.pdf

Clear. What type of cable shall I take? What about the impedance of the cable?

BR Stef

As you are talking of short cables below 10 meters - really doesn't matter much. But if you want to do it best buy balanced AES/EBU cables (sometimes also called DMX cables) with 110 Ohm impedance. These usually have less capacitance than standard microphone/line cables, which can help at 192 kHz sample rate.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by StefanSNO 2020-06-08 18:09:26)

OK, clear, thank you.
I have located a AES/EBU to RCA cable with 110 Ohm impedance.
Unfortunately, the shortest available cable is 3 m long - a bit long for my tidy studio.
My question is: can I shorten this cable (on the RCA side) without affecting the 110 Ohm impedance?

BR Stef

12 (edited by StefanSNO 2020-06-12 08:29:20)

My apologies bringing up my open questions:
1) If my question is too technical for this forum, can someone tell me who should I ask about a possible impedance change by shortening a 3 m long 110 Ohm impedance AES/EBU to RCA cable?
2) I woud like to know if my thinking is correct:
If I set for my UFX II:
AES format=Consumer
Optical 2 Out=AES/SPDIF

the ADAT 2 output becomes AES/SPDIF. Am I correct?

BR Stef

1. Yes, you can shorten your cable to the desired length. That will not affect the impedance. Just follow the wiring diagram linked above.
2. Yes, if you set Optical 2 Out = AES/SPDIF the ADAT 2 output becomes AES/SPDIF. That is correct. The Optical 2 out is the same as ADAT 2 Out.

Thank you :-).

BR Stef

Additionally and more generally:

https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/p … _SPDIF.pdf