Topic: Ufx+/m-32pro AD/DA/Dtox 16 i/o Feedback clipping on outboard gear I/O

Overload clipping on m-32 pro AD/DA send and returns for my outboard gear.
Checked cables, Madi connections/setup and total mix settings.
Not having this issue with the my Ufx+ hardware I/O running the same outboard gear and routing?
All my instrument inputs going into the m-32pro AD are working fine. Via TRS to D-Sub
My outboard gear in balanced connected Via my Dtox 16 i/O using Mogami D-sub.

Using Ableton as my Daw. Everything freshly updated.

Combing totalmix and Madi setup info for days. Must be something i'm missing.

Anyone out there with the same setup?

Information online for the m-32 pro series is minimal.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-06-13 16:14:37)

Re: Ufx+/m-32pro AD/DA/Dtox 16 i/o Feedback clipping on outboard gear I/O

What outboard gear ?
Are you shure that you are using proper reference levels on all devices in the analog device chain
which is connected to your M32-Pro ?
Whats the last device's reference level and how is the analog input port of the M-32 Pro configured.
You are aware of that the reference level of all M-32 Pro ports can be configured individually ?
What Firmware on the M-32 Pro btw ?

> Information online for the m-32 pro series is minimal.
What information do you mean in particular ?

Did you try to simplify the analog chain and the setup to 1st of all validate, that the inputs on your M-32 Pro are working fine ?
I would connect simply one device properly with a proper reference level and then route the input to a phones output.

By this you can also exclude any other issues in the way towards PC / TotalMix / on Application level.

What you could also do is to proactively reset your TM FX mixer settings.

You could also contact RME support directly by e-mail .. this is the user forum. RME is also very active here,
but the official support is through their support e-mail AFAIK.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by edenrausch 2020-06-16 06:02:11)

Hi ... Thanks for the reply.

I have a Warm Audio Bus-comp and two Speck EQ's hooked up properly to the Dtox.
Both units are +4dbu balanced in and out. Via trs or xlr.
All 32 channels I/O's  are set to +13dbu. Checked my cables trs to xlr. Swapped out cables to xlr to xlr.... Same clipping.
My 909, 808 and drumtraks inputs all meter great. Flouting unbalanced trs to D-Sub.
I'm using the latest firmware updates for both m-32 pro's AD & DA. Also Updated the UFX+.
I will try connecting a synth with at DI today directly in just to see in the Dtox or D-Sub is the issue. Try the outputs to.

Contacted support and they don't understand this issue after explaining it in detail and haven't returned my emails.
This isn't my first rodeo so i'll keep at it. I can feel that its something simple.
Total mix reset could be a option. Strange that the same outboard gear, ableton and totalmix setup just using the UFx+
hardware i/o works fine. My routing should be solid. Then again total mix can get unorganized quick if you don't watch it.

thanks for tip in

Thx
eden

4 (edited by Max 2020-06-14 00:04:48)

edenrausch wrote:

Both units are +4dbu balanced in and out. Via trs or xlr.

That could be the issue? +13 dBu output to +4 dBu input means that you need to adjust the corresponding output in Totalmix to -9 dBFS.

Best regards,
Max

Hmmm... Not seeing anything on the madi i/os to attenuate the signal? I am getting the signal going out, showing in totalmix
at the output. The hot signal in at the input.... then  hot going to the master.
Both EQ and Compressor are set neutral/bypass.
Spent the day experimenting and no luck. I did plug in a mono synth into a channel on the Dtox.
Sounds fine so it's def. not a problem with the Dtox unit.

Keep on keepin on.

Our support guys should be able to connect to your PC in a TeamViewer session, walk you through the right settings and get everything working on Monday. Would that work for you?

That would be great. I have tomorrow off. Let me know what you need from me?

Thanks
e

See rme.to/remote - download and send me access data by mail....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Problem solved.
Incorrect madi chain. Ufx+ to m-32pro DA to m-32proAD back to Ufx+ is the correct connections for this setup.
Not having set up madi before i had linked the AD first behind the DA. Thinking audio signal path i guess.
So happy now, the pro series converters are so sick. Well worth the investment.

Big shout out to Max for helping me out. Keep.. Keepin on out in Tokyo man!

Glad we were able to fix it, enjoy the converters!