Topic: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 27/33, Pro 213/97

This DSP firmware update (DAC 33, Pro 97) brings back the former behaviour of interrupting AutoDark when turning any encoder at the unit.

With the DAC it is now possible to change the Source setting (USB, Coax, Optical) also to Auto. Simply press one of the three Source buttons twice. Formerly Auto was only available in the display menu.

Otherwise there are no changes to version 32/96, which had a lot more changes/additions/fixes as can be read here:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29322

Firmware downloads

Win:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip

Mac:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_mac.zip

Windows: If you need to install the driver for the flash process and uninstall it again:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 81#p135881

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 27/33, Pro 213/97

Brilliant, thanks!

Thanks a lot MC & RME team!!!

MC wrote:

[...]
With the DAC it is now possible to change the Source setting (USB, Coax, Optical) also to Auto. Simply press one of the three Source buttons twice. Formerly Auto was only available in the display menu.
[...]

Very clever soution, thanks!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

thank you

After a few days of use, thanks again for the auto source feature via remote. So much convenient for me!
I do not need to go in the menu anymore! big_smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Nice to hear!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC this is great! So glad to have the functionality back, and the very quick responsiveness to customer feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you for fixing this. Highly appreciated!

9 (edited by hberg 2019-10-19 15:38:39)

Is it possible to get the auto source input command in the list of Logitech Harmony remote?

Great thanks

hberg wrote:

Is it possible to get the auto source input command in the list of Logitech Harmony remote?

Hit one of the source button (USB, Coaxial or Optical) twice smile

12 (edited by maartenl 2019-10-26 02:33:03)

Thanks for bringing back the former behaviour of interrupting AutoDark when changing volume.

There's still a to me not so logical behaviour of AutoDark:

- When AutoDark is enabled and the DAC is actively playing it is complete dark giving the impression the DAC is completely turned off.
- When the DAC is switched off (standby) the power button is lit (red led). So less activity but more lights...

This behaviour does not make sense to me and I find it very confusing. I find myself often trying to 'switch on' the DAC in the illusion it is switched off while it isn't (it is actually switched on with AutoDark enabled). So in the end I come to the conclusion I have switched off the unit unintentionally. It's very unnatural and very very confusing (at least to me).

For me the function of AutoDark is to switch off the LCD display shortly after having controlled the unit. And not for the unit to disguise as it's completely switched off !

Would really like that in AutoDark mode the power button remains lit (white led). When the DAC is switched off (standby) I would prefer it is completely darkened (also no red power led).

Maybe it is possible to have two Autodark options ? The current one and one as I described above?

Please note: AutoDark is not there to prolong the lifetime of the LCD. It is there to not disturb when it's placed near the TV, or for sensitive people trying to sleep (zero lights required).

An 'option' to change this will not come, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, that's a pity. Thanks for your direct and honest reply.

maartenl wrote:

Thanks for bringing back the former behaviour of interrupting AutoDark when changing volume.

- When AutoDark is enabled and the DAC is actively playing it is complete dark giving the impression the DAC is completely turned off.
- When the DAC is switched off (standby) the power button is lit (red led). So less activity but more lights...

Yes, I would like an option to turn off the power LED when the device is shut off. I have a lot of light pollution in my room at night due to all my happy audio and computer gear.

16 (edited by maartenl 2019-12-13 02:17:09)

tubeaudio wrote:
maartenl wrote:

Yes, I would like an option to turn off the power LED when the device is shut off. I have a lot of light pollution in my room at night due to all my happy audio and computer gear.

Fully agree. But "MC" mistakenly said:

MC wrote:

"Please note: AutoDark is not there to prolong the lifetime of the LCD. It is there to not disturb when it's placed near the TV, or for sensitive people trying to sleep (zero lights required).

An 'option' to change this will not come, sorry.

Mistaken because I have never intended to AutoDark to prolong my LCD's lifetime. I do not know why he thinks that...I did not say nor suggest such but maybe it's his projection...

But I agree with "tubeaudio" that it would be nice to have power LED off when the DAC is powered off. Makes sense and for me I also do no want light pollution by gear that is switched off. It simply makes no sense to light a device that's switched off.

Firmware update DSP https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html

We had to add code for a new version of the display as the old one is EOL soon. There is no reason to update the firmware on existing units at this time. To prevent wasting time and to not stir up unneccessary downloads, actions and questions, I intentionally did not change the numbers in the website's FUT description. This latest FUT only brings changes for the Digiface AVB.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by michicaust 2019-12-15 13:25:54)

@MC, I know it's kinda trivial, but I have to ask since my ADI-2 DAC is an integral part of a relatively representative desktop setup...

Is there a chance we can get a few more choices for the color theme(s)? Like, at least the, somewhat toned-down, basic colours like red-, green-, blue-, cyan-, magenta- and yellow-ish hues? Three of those are already there, so only a few would have to be added.

Oh, and maybe a neutral, grey theme would also be rather nice...? ^^

Best regards,

- Michael

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

michicaust wrote:

@MC, I know it's kinda trivial, but I have to ask since my ADI-2 DAC is an integral part of a relatively representative desktop setup...

Is there a chance we can get a few more choices for the color theme(s)? Like, at least the, somewhat toned-down, basic colours like red-, green-, blue-, cyan-, magenta- and yellow-ish hues? Three of those are already there, so only a few would have to be added.

Oh, and maybe a neutral, grey theme would also be rather nice...? ^^

Best regards,

- Michael

Ok, I'd like to get meter colors to match my TASCAM gear. But if I don't, I am still happy big_smile

21 (edited by michicaust 2019-12-19 23:52:54)

tubeaudio wrote:

Ok, I'd like to get meter colors to match my TASCAM gear. But if I don't, I am still happy big_smile

Or maybe - MAYBE - even a dialogue to *gasp* dial in RGB values?!? yikes big_smile

Hi! I recommended ADI-2 DAC FS to a friend, after I bought it. He bought it too. I have seen that the remote control is different now, and also there is a new filter I don’t have on mine - and he thinks is the best.
I hoped that I will get it with the new software update, but is not added! and I am not pleased at all!
I don’t really understand why at the same price payed for the same DAC there are differences in the software!?
How can I get the latest features for my DAC? Thank you!

23 (edited by ramses 2019-12-30 20:49:11)

> Hi! I recommended ADI-2 DAC FS to a friend, after I bought it. He bought it too. I have seen that the remote control
> is different now, and also there is a new filter I don’t have on mine - and he thinks is the best.

The DAC has been upgraded, it got a new remote and a newer AKM chip to get slightly higher SNR and a new filter mode.
According to RME changes that make measuring values better but which are not audible.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 49#p148949

> I hoped that I will get it with the new software update, but is not added! and I am not pleased at all!

A new DAC chip from AKM is a different 3rd party chip (hardware!). Such a HW upgrade can not be performed by a firmware upgrade. In regards to the new remote its easier. Support for it has been added already to the latest firmware. You only need to buy the new remote, this works also with your DAC.

> I don’t really understand why at the same price payed for the same DAC there are differences in the software!?

Its good  that product upgrades happen. Its nice from RME that they make it possible, that this doesn't increase the price of the product.

> How can I get the latest features for my DAC? Thank you!

a) firmware upgrade and buy the new remote
b) buy the upgraded product which includes the new remote.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

24 (edited by bokko 2020-03-25 20:33:24)

Good Day

I have just moved from a Windows computer to my mac mini. Troubleshooting a drop out. That happens every 5-10 minutes.
RME USB SERIES FLASH TOOL
Under current revision USB 28, DSP 34, FallBack 26.
Under New revision USB 27, DSP 34

Having rolled back to Windows I see that 28 /34 is latest version

What would be best method to roll back to 27 to see if problem still occurs

Danke

Hi!

Just reporting a minor bug (I think).
When setting an EQ with just Low/High Cut filters, it is mentionned as "lin." despite of the fact it is not empty.

https://tof.cx/images/2020/04/05/938feb76929968fe87f0e9188b01478b.jpg

bokko wrote:

I have just moved from a Windows computer to my mac mini. Troubleshooting a drop out. That happens every 5-10 minutes.
RME USB SERIES FLASH TOOL
Under current revision USB 28, DSP 34, FallBack 26.
Under New revision USB 27, DSP 34
Having rolled back to Windows I see that 28 /34 is latest version

USB 28 is not a release version and has been removed. Simply download the FUT again, it will flash to 27. But in any case it will not solve dropout problems that are caused by something else (as here).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

N00b wrote:

Hi!
When setting an EQ with just Low/High Cut filters, it is mentionned as "lin." despite of the fact it is not empty.

Is it a bug when the name stays because no new name has been given?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
N00b wrote:

Hi!

Is it a bug when the name stays because no new name has been given?

I’ve tried to rename it but have no control on what is before the «:»
I am not sure it is a bug, I’m not good at the EQ manipulation on the ADI and maybe I am doing something wrong. But I can’t get rid of this « Lin. »... I’ve tried to rename it, to save it in another slot: the « Lin. » stuck.

Ok, I'll check.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Checked: you are right! The method to detect still 'lin' or not uses the gain settings. Changing the gain in your example (although it has no effect with high/low pass) will also remove the 'lin' when you save that preset again.

We'll check if we can improve this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, thanks!! smile

MC wrote:

Checked: you are right! The method to detect still 'lin' or not uses the gain settings. Changing the gain in your example (although it has no effect with high/low pass) will also remove the 'lin' when you save that preset again.

We'll check if we can improve this.

Hi MC!
Was playing with EQ during lockdown...
FYI, changing the EQ gain with high/low pass is taken into account in the calculation of the Auto Ref Level.

I am not sure whether this was reported before.
Logitech database ADI-2 PRO FS R:
The power toggle on/off turns the unit on but not off. Discrete IR codes for power ON and power OFF work propperly.
I suppose they used only the code for power ON for the power toggle button.

Request:
Would it be possible to implement discrete IR codes for switching de-emphasis ON/OFF/AUTO?

> The power toggle on/off turns the unit on but not off.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30043

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No more updates?

mrguelo wrote:

No more updates?

The firmware is mature: no more bugs, a lot of functions already implemented, and the FPGA and DSP have not infinite power for new functions...

Do you miss something?

mrguelo wrote:

No more updates?

I've only had mine for a couple weeks now, but so far I can't think of anything it's missing and haven't encountered any bugs.

If it's not broke, don't fix it?

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, I'm new to the forum
and also a beginner in audio work but I would like to ask
a simple tip for a problem that I can't solve.
My question is simple, I am a guitarist who plays with the
his amp and leaving the D.I. I go straight to my sound card
babyface 1 version.
The sound is really good and reflects my marshall amp
but not perfect and it would seem that little is missing
to have a great result.
The flaw is that it is slightly electronic and it seems that it has not had a good conversion.
I tried to get into both my babyface's guitar jack and the online xrl
but the result does not change.
I did various tests with external amplifiers but I was unable to solve,
indeed the sound is colored but it loses its naturalness.
I was thinking of getting a good rme converter that could possibly be a solution,
tips?
thank you

USB Stuttering out of USB 3.1 Gen 2.

I bought a new ADI-2 DAC FS today (the newer version with the updated chip and remote).  I upgraded to the latest firmware and the latest Windows 10 driver (from RME's website, "driver madiface win v 0.9716").  Despite that, significant ongoing stuttering occurred when using the USB input.

Relying on the following reddit link, I switched the connection on my computer from a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port to a USB Gen 1 port, and it immediately fixed the problem.  https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/commen … crackling/

Will there be a driver/firmware update to fix this problem, so that I'm not restricted to using the Gen 1 ports.  (I use two computers, and my newer computer only has Gen 2 USB ports, which poses a problem for future use of the DAC.)

Ask the manufacturer of your computer. The issue is there, not in the ADI, which works perfetcly with either ports if they are not broken.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

N00b wrote:
mrguelo wrote:

No more updates?

The firmware is mature: no more bugs, a lot of functions already implemented, and the FPGA and DSP have not infinite power for new functions...

Do you miss something?

Thats true. I will like if the Adi Pro fs will completely shut down, instead of the standby red light.

Hi @ll,

when will v.34 be released for the DAC publicly, and what will that one entail?
I saw a YouTube reviewer using one with that revision, so I wonder what could possibly be improved there?

Well... except a larger diversity when it comes to choosing colour themes besides green, amber and cyan? big_smile
A rough, approximate six-point coverage of the colour spectrum (something reddish, greenish, bluish, cyan, magenta, yellowish) in total would be sooo nice, plus a neutral grey, maybe..? smile

Best regards,

- Michael

mrguelo wrote:
N00b wrote:
mrguelo wrote:

No more updates?

Do you miss something?

Thats true. I will like if the Adi Pro fs will completely shut down, instead of the standby red light.

As said many time here by RME, not possible. It’s not controlled by the FPGA, and so not updatable by FW.

michicaust wrote:

Hi @ll,

I saw a YouTube reviewer using one with that revision, so I wonder what could possibly be improved there?

Well... except a larger diversity when it comes to choosing colour themes besides green, amber and cyan? big_smile
A rough, approximate six-point coverage of the colour spectrum (something reddish, greenish, bluish, cyan, magenta, yellowish) in total would be sooo nice, plus a neutral grey, maybe..? smile

Best regards,

- Michael

For the v. 34, MC explains here it just adds the compatibility for a new part (new LCD display because the previous one is not available anymore). No other functions, so no point to propose it for download.

michicaust wrote:

Hi @ll,

Best regards,

- Michael

https://www.rme-usa.com/downloads.html

@N00b, @captblaze,

thanks a lot for the info & the link! ^^

Regard,

- Michael

Hello,
I don't want to start a new topic because of one question.

This question is aimed more at designers or measurement enthusiasts.
I'm interested in the power consumption of the ADI-2 Pro, ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition & ADI-2 DAC (USB port only).
Consumption via the power adapter is in the manual, but consumption via the USB port is not.
Does anyone know this three values?

Thank you very much...
TOM

48 (edited by ramses 2020-08-05 17:03:47)

Am asking myself why these devices should consume power via USB if they can not be driven by USB power and
definitively need a dedicated PSU for operation. BTW, the intention of this thread is "firmware upgrades".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

49 (edited by bejoro 2020-08-06 05:57:01)

ramses wrote:

Am asking myself why these devices should consume power via USB if they can not be driven by USB power and
definitively need a dedicated PSU for operation. BTW, the intention of this thread is "firmware upgrades".

There are many standalone DACs which use USB power for their USB receiver circutry, for example many XMOS based USB receiver.

50 (edited by bejoro 2020-08-06 05:55:47)

T.Hresil wrote:

Hello,
I don't want to start a new topic because of one question.

This question is aimed more at designers or measurement enthusiasts.
I'm interested in the power consumption of the ADI-2 Pro, ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition & ADI-2 DAC (USB port only).
Consumption via the power adapter is in the manual, but consumption via the USB port is not.
Does anyone know this three values?

Thank you very much...
TOM

As far as I know from the discussion of USB power filters, Matthias (MC) wrote that the USB power lines are not used in the USB receiver circutry of RME ADI-2 PRO/DAC.

Always start a new topjc if you have a new question. That's what a forum is for and makes it easier to find answers for other users.