Topic: Which Audio Streamer to partner with ADI 2 DAC?

Hi, I am new to RME, but I am considering an ADI 2 DAC to feed my current power amp. I wondered what streamers people successfully use with the ADI 2 DAC?

I would like to access music files from a NAS and also from Tidal, possibly Roon in future.

My stereo is used by my family and I would like to avoid using a laptop, so a purpose-made solution which can be controlled from an iPad would be great. 

I would appreciate your ideas. I have heard good things about the ADI 2 and I am looking forward to trying this out.

Re: Which Audio Streamer to partner with ADI 2 DAC?

If you are happy to do a little setup yourself then I'd suggest what I use which is a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4G RAM, connected to ADI Pro or DAC using USB. Including PSU, case, SD card and computer it's about 75 GBP. You can use whatever you want as regards software but I use Rune which is free open source, and the Linn Kazoo iPhone app which is also free.

This passes the 'bit-perfect test' so you cannot get any better.

3 (edited by ramses 2020-06-30 20:18:53)

Or use a PC or laptop with RME audio interface like the Digiface USB: https://www.rme-audio.de/de_digiface-usb.html

Then you even have the infrastructure to rip audio CDs with Exact Audio Copy. Between such a RME recording interface and the ADI-2 DAC you will have an optical TOSLINK cable (galvanic isolation!) which can be up to 10m long according to the standard, but I also use 15m without any issue in my setup up to 192 kHz and additionally a 4:1 TOSLINK switcher in front of the ADI-2 DAC to be able to connect and switch between up to 4 sources: TV, BluRay Player, PC and one free for future demand.
You only need to check whether those support 192 kHz if you require this, usually they support only up to 96 kHz (which is fully sufficient). simply depends whether you have such HiRes content up to 192 kHz or not.

My setup changed a little bit in terms of devices, but basically its this: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … her-EN-DE/

Only got an Oppo BlueRay Player and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE instead
and the Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 has been modified to support 192 kHz, because the device didn't support this as advertized ...
But this is another story: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … lerangabe/

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10 Pro 2004, Cubase 10.5.20, UFX+, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, ARC USB

Main system: dCS network bridge
Headphone setup: Primare NP5

5 (edited by m1k3 2020-07-01 03:48:37)

I love my setup:
— LUMIN U1 Mini streamer into ADI-2 DAC via USB.
— Oppo 205 digital out into DAC via Coax
— TV optical out into DAC’s Toslink for some stereo audio (e.g., headphone listening of TV); multichannel is handled by another system.

The LUMIN U1 Mini has a great iPad app in my opinion (some don’t like it) but the firmware and apps are well supported and upgraded often. The app supports TIDAL and Qobuz streaming with built in API support, as well as multi-protocol support for accessing media through your network/NAS/USB-attached storage, etc.

The hardware supports DLNA/UPnP (with Open Home extensions) and generic UPnP if you want to use another controller like mconnect on iOS, or BubbleUPnP on android. It is a certified Roon endpoint. And supports Apple Airplay (1, not 2). It’s $2000US.

For 1/4 that price, the Bluesound Node 2i is a good streamer too. I had one for almost a year, but I didn’t like their software (or support) as much as the LUMIN so I sold it. I’ve had the LUMIN for 10 months without one single glitch or problem. Qobuz and TIDAL sounds awesome through it to the RME ADI-2 DAC into my headphones and IEMs, and studio monitors.

Edit:
I should add that no LUMIN products support WiFi (the Bluesound hardware does though) if that’s a requirement for you.

Mac Mini with Qobuz Streaming Service (Ultimate edition), Audirvana 3.5 (included the Qobuz Streaming). The Mac Mini is linked via usb to RME Adi 2 DAC. Audirvana upsamples every music file to DSD64.
The Mac Mini is via HDMI to Television Monitor. the output of the Adi Dac via separate preamplifier to Amplifier and then to loudspeakers (PMC Twenty). Never had better sound! When I want critical listening I use AKG 712 headphone that is plugged into the preamplifier (Thomas Funk LAP-2.V3 preamplifier).
Happy listening, Syrinx

Thank you for the ideas all, some I had not thought of, like Lumin U1 mini and Mac Mini. The DCS network bridge and NP5 were known to me with the DCS product a bit outside of my budget. I need to check out the Lumin product as I have no experience of its user interface. The interface is important to me and it needs to be simple and intuitive.

Having tried an Rpi 3 + allo digi I am a little reluctant to rely on a 'computer based solution'. I wonder if the apple mini can be set up as headless relying on remote control via an iPad? Your thoughts on that option would be welcome.

My current setup is also using Lumin U1 mini with the ADI-2 FS. I had been using this combo for 4 months, so far I found very impressed on the sound quality. Only at the beginning I am unsure on how to set the proper dbU and DAC volume. But now things are all settled and the U1 mini now has the Leedhing processing which make the music even sound more analogue. Go have a look or do an audition at the dealer if they have demo there.

mg wrote:

Mac Mini with Qobuz Streaming Service (Ultimate edition), Audirvana 3.5 (included the Qobuz Streaming). The Mac Mini is linked via usb to RME Adi 2 DAC. Audirvana upsamples every music file to DSD64.
The Mac Mini is via HDMI to Television Monitor. the output of the Adi Dac via separate preamplifier to Amplifier and then to loudspeakers (PMC Twenty). Never had better sound! When I want critical listening I use AKG 712 headphone that is plugged into the preamplifier (Thomas Funk LAP-2.V3 preamplifier).
Happy listening, Syrinx

Hi mg, I have questions on regarding Audirvana 3.5. Have you ever compare Audirvana with Roon? I am still hesitating on which one should I join? Both have the capability to do upsampling, but one thing I’m not sure is does the database collection layout of Audirvana is as user friendly as Roon? I had play around the Roon at my friend place and find so user friendly when finding the songs from the collections. Hope you can share some feedbacks from a user perspective. Thanks

> both have the capability to do upsampling

For what purpose ? Upsampling doesn't increase quality.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, E5-1650v4, Win10 Pro 2004, Cubase 10.5.20, UFX+, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, ARC USB

https://www.cocktailaudio.de/cocktailaudio-x50d/

This is my setup at the moment:

NAS QNAP TS-251B running QLogitech Media Server => Squeezebox Touch => ADI-2 DAC.

Unfortunately Squeezebox is discontinued but still very good support from https://forums.slimdevices.com/
and there are quite often used SB Touch for sale.

You can also build a Squeezebox clone from a RPI.

I use NODE 2i and I am very happy with my choice.
https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/