Topic: Adding M-1610 Pro to UFX+

Hi,

I'm wanting to add channels to my UFX+ using a MADI device like the M-1610 pro
I am already using an SPL Madison over optical MADI for an additional 16 i/o.  This works well but I'd like to be able to set reference gains per channel rather than universally (which is how the SPL works).

I was looking at M32 Pro AD and DA but it's just too many channels for me right now.  Also checking out the Ferrofish Pulse which seems great value for money.

Anyway, the M-1610 does also appeal.

Specific Questions:

1) Will an M-1610 Pro to add another 16 I and 8 O over coaxial MADI if I continue to use optical for the Madison?
2) Will the channels and ability to control gains for each channel be available via the UFX+ Totalmix interface (or do I have to set these on the M-1610 directly or using a web interface)?
3) Will the M-1610 Pro add AVB functionality to my system somehow?

Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by ramses 2020-07-05 11:34:03)

Re: Adding M-1610 Pro to UFX+

Rephrased:

to 1) yes
See manual page 16, use "split" mode, then you have 32ch for MADI via optical and 32ch for MADI via coax.
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_e.pdf

to 2) in TM FX you control the levels for your submixes for MADI inputs and MADI outputs like for every other MADI device. You select an output and then select the levels for HW inputs and SW playback channels. For a converter there is usually not much more to do besides to select the proper reference level which you usually do one time, if the devices do not change much in the studio which is quite usual.

You can control the device via display or you can remote control it comfortably via WEB browser, for that purpose you connect the device to your network. An alternative to that might be to use RNDIS (over USB) if this is implemented like with 12Mic.

For Mic Preamps like the Octamic XTC it was possible to remote control the device in two ways (one OR the other)
- AUXDEVICE
- MIDI Remote
But this AUXDEVICE integration into TotalMix FX has only been offered at that time (for devices without browser management possibility over IP) because with a Preamp you have more to control like e.g.: Preamp Gain, 48V, PAD, Autoset.

Compared to that you have to control much less on a pure AD/DA converter. Usually only the reference level. So TM FX AUXDEVICE support will most likely also not be in scope for this AD/DA converter.

So its more likely that you will control this unit
a) either on the unit itself by using the display or
b) that you can control the unit via Webbrowser, for this purpose you need to connect the M-1610 pro to your network.

to 3) AFAIK .. for windows you will need an AVB capable recording interface like the Digiface AVB to build up an AVB based setup. When purchasing the M-1610 Pro, then you have the choice to
- use the device in a MADI context like you will do now together with your UFX+ and your SPL
- use it later in an AVB context and
- additionally to connect your old MADI equipment to the M-1610 Pro to its MADI port to make your MADI equipment again useable in an AVB network.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your very detailed answer - that covers it really well!

ramses wrote:

Rephrased:

to 3) AFAIK .. for windows you will need an AVB capable recording interface like the Digiface AVB to build up an AVB based setup. When purchasing the M-1610 Pro, then you have the choice to
- use the device in a MADI context like you will do now together with your UFX+ and your SPL
- use it later in an AVB context and
- additionally to connect your old MADI equipment to the M-1610 Pro to its MADI port to make your MADI equipment again useable in an AVB network.

Just a quick addition to this:
The M-1610 allows you to route freely between all of its in- and output ports, on a per-channel basis.
So in your setup, you can connect AVB devices to the M-1610 and route their channels via MADI into the UFX+.
To this extend you do add AVB functionality to your system. There's a caveat though: The M-1610 doesn't allow you to connect/disconnect AVB streams (yet), so in case the new AVB device doesn't allow setting up streams either, you will have to control the AVB part of the system with an external AVDECC controller like Hive.