Topic: RME Fireface 400 - WHEA UNCORRECTIBLE ERROR BSOD

Hi,

I've just bought new computer hardware and I am having massive issues with the RME Fireface.
Every 10-30min I get the same "WHEA UNCORRECTIBLE ERROR" Bluescreen and the computer has to restart, no time for saving projects etc.

My Hardware:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X
Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
RAM: 2x32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200 CL16
GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super Jetstream
Firewire-Card: https://www.amazon.de/KKmoon-Erweiterun … 076BMK6YP/

I already had issues with the Fireface 400 on my previous setup (opened a thread here too) -> crackling/clicking noise, but I managed to get rid of the problem after deactivating the nvidia audio drivers.

The crashlog shows that either hal.dll, 1394ohci.sys or fireface_64.sys is causing the crash.

When I disconnect the Fireface 400 from the PCIe-Card, there aren't any crashes happening anymore.

What can I do now? I've ordered the following PCI-Card and will try if that will solve the problem.

But it is strange that the Fireface was workling with my old setup but won't anymore on my new hardware.

Is there anything I can do/try meanwhile? ...got fresh and clean install of Win10, everything updated.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-05-23 19:50:19)

Re: RME Fireface 400 - WHEA UNCORRECTIBLE ERROR BSOD

Firewire is not supported well anymore under Win10.
What driver did you use ?

VIA Chipset for Firewire is not so good, get a card with a better TI firewire chip, like this:
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html

Avoid Fw cards with TI XIO2200A, the chip did not respond well on interrupts.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You should avoid the VIA card, since it includes a PCI-to-PCIE bridge which will not work.
Please use a native PCIE firewire card.
In the past the best firewire cards had a TI chip. The TI XIO2200 had an issue if combined with intel chipsets though. In your case it will probably work well since you have an AMD system. I recently tested my XIO2200 with an ASUS Prime B450-A which worked very well. The other possibility is to use the TI XIO2213 which should also work on Intel systems.
Hope it helps.

4 (edited by VP 2020-07-10 10:51:07)

Hello,

I've registered an account here because I'm becoming quite desperate.

Just as OP I own an Fireface 400 and am experiencing the same BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR blue screens of death. This started occurring after installing the new Windows 10 May update. Previously I had been using the interface on the same machine for more than 6 years without problems. Since a few weeks I switched to a new Ryzen 3700x system, and I'm experiencing the same thing. So unfortunately rolling back is not an option either.

To me it looks like a Windows problem. When I try to update the Firewire card driver (to for example the known working legacy one), it gives the same BSOD. If I want to disable the device, BSDOD. Basically, whenever I touch it in the Device Manager, it gives me the BSOD. If I plug my Fireface 400 in, I got about 30minutes before it randomly crashes, too.

I've tried just about everything, but I guess the last option is to purchase a better Firewire card (like suggested above). However, I'm having a bit of problem to finding out if it will be sufficient for my audio interface. For example, I don't know how to verify if a card has 'a better TI firewire chip'.

I guess my question is... could anyone give me some directions on how to find a proper Firewire card? And maybe if you have time, perhaps give me some examples on Amazon.nl / Ebay (or any international webshop)?

Just for reference, here are some relevant parts of my machine:

RME Fireface 400
Random no-name Firewire card (PCI Express x1 PCI-E FireWire 1394a-2000 IEEE1394-1995 Controller Card 3 Ports)
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro

Many thanks in advance!

Hi @VP and @Zabu

I was in the same boat recently, Finally upgraded my PC after 15 years and had work out a solution for firewire... I also have a FF400.

Knowing that TI chipsets are best supported on the 400,(with the mentioned exception)  i did some research, and it was actually a post in this forum that helped me...

I can't find the page in my history right now to post the link, but after reading I bought one of these.

Exsys EX-16415

It's a little more expensive than some other PCIe firewire cards, but it works great and I have no issues....

ComputerUniverse (German Company) had them in stock last time i looked...

As it happens though, i just bought a UFX+ and so I am looking to sell both my FF400 and the PCI card.... DM me if interested smile

6 (edited by VP 2020-07-10 12:20:49)

Thanks @acorn! I see that that brand was also mentioned in an earlier post.

I looked around a bit, and it seems that in Holland this is the only semi-legit shop selling it:

https://www.kabeldirect.nl/firewire-iee … kaart.html

Or at least, it looks the same. Google sent me there after looking for the specific model that you suggested. The specifications seem to suffice (IEEE 1394b/a Interface Card, PCI, 2/1 Port,, 2x9-Pin+1x6-Pin Extern TI 82AA + 81BA3 chipset).

I'll post an update on this thread when I have tried the new controller.

Thanks for the help!

The package came in yesterday morning. It said 'Exsys EX-16415' on the box. I replaced my crappy no-name VIA firewire card with the new one, and used my computer for the rest of the day (about 12 hours).

To my surprise... no BSOD! Seems like my issue has been resolved. Yay!

I am also an FF400 owner, using Windows 10, and a brand new Ryzen 3900X build on an MSI deck with a TI BASED Pcie add in card.

Because I knew about the TI chipset long, long ago, I have had my same FW card for 10 years and have used it with all of my FW interfaces and never an issue.  You must use TI, period.

Zero issues for me with it, zero BSOD.  the key is the TI based FW chipset!  glad you got it sorted.