Topic: best way to get signals to my Rega Brio

Hi All

I am new here ...I just bought ADI-2 Pro as I could get it very close to the price of ADI-2 DAC...
I need to go to all set ups but I am happy ecen the out of box system running my Sony MDR-Z1R  and HD 800S ...

but I also have a Rega Brio which drive my klipsch speakers and REL Sub...

the Rega has only analogue inputs as : Minimum  Input  (line) input sensitivity = 210mV at 47kΩ  and
Maximum input (line) input level = 10.25V

I tried to use the DB9 cable and connect the RCA to the input of my Rega...but I couldn't get anything out of it ...

my apology if the question is very obvious as I am newbie in the Audio world...but a serious music listener

I appreciate if you advise the best set up so I can use my ADI-2 Pro to run my Rega and at the end run my speakers... I have connected my wind10 pc to ADI2 via usb but I can use the optice cable if you think I can get better results

Thanks in advance
Mason

Re: best way to get signals to my Rega Brio

The 9-pin cable on the Pro is a digital I/O cable, and it sounds as if you are looking for analogue out to the RCA inputs on your Rega. This being the case, I would forget the 9-pin cable for these purposes, and acquire a pair of TRS/RCA adaptors to plug into the TRS analogue outputs (1/2) on the Pro, then use RCA cables to connect the RCA terminals (which the adaptors expose) to the analogue inputs on the Rega.

You may have to adjust the output analogue reference levels in order to optimise the SNR, but this basic wiring should give you what you need. The adaptors are easy to find and cheap on Amazon.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

davidr99 wrote:

The 9-pin cable on the Pro is a digital I/O cable, and it sounds as if you are looking for analogue out to the RCA inputs on your Rega. This being the case, I would forget the 9-pin cable for these purposes, and acquire a pair of TRS/RCA adaptors to plug into the TRS analogue outputs (1/2) on the Pro, then use RCA cables to connect the RCA terminals (which the adaptors expose) to the analogue inputs on the Rega.

You may have to adjust the output analogue reference levels in order to optimise the SNR, but this basic wiring should give you what you need. The adaptors are easy to find and cheap on Amazon.

Thanks
Will try this , so there is no other way to this ? If I use phone 1/2 output , will the unit work only as pure DAC or Pre amp as well ? Also I thought all RCA cables are only analogue if it’s true then shouldn’t the RCA from 9-pin also be analouge ?

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-23 09:06:49)

RCA can be either, analog or digital.
The RME 9-pin D-Sub RCA is digital SPDIF in/out only.

Use the back output 1/2.

Get youself 6.3mm Jack to RCA cables, or adapters like these ones to use standard RCA-RCA cables:
https://smile.amazon.de/VCE-Adapter-Ste … amp;sr=8-4

Usually you can leave RME ADI-2 in factory default setting.
There are some automatic functions (Automatic Reference Level adjust, Automatic Input Selection) built in that will likely work favourable for you.

Once you get familiar you can dig deeper with the multitude of possibilities.

For the moment go for the USB with Windows generic ("Class Complient") drivers (no extra driver installation).

KaiS wrote:

RCA can be either, analog or digital.
The RME 9-pin D-Sub RCA is digital SPDIF in/out only.

Use the back output 1/2.

Get youself 6.3mm Jack to RCA cables, or adapters like these ones to use standard RCA-RCA cables:
https://smile.amazon.de/VCE-Adapter-Ste … amp;sr=8-4

Usually you can leave RME ADI-2 in factory default setting.
There are some automatic functions (Automatic Reference Level adjust, Automatic Input Selection) built in that will likely work favourable for you.

Thanks Kais
I thought RME ADI-2 Pro has analogous output ...so if I want to use the back of the unit there is no way with any converter to get the needed RCA to m Amplifer ? also if I use 1/2 phone output...will I have all control ( volume, Eq...) as when I use my headphones ?
at the moment I use the RCA from back of my Topping DX7s and it has only DAC so all volume control is dsabled...I thought I could get something like this from my new ADI-2 ( of course hoping to get better sound)

DX7s:
https://www.amazon.com.au/Topping-2ES90 … B07B4VFS21

Once you get familiar you can dig deeper with the multitude of possibilities.

For the moment go for the USB with Windows generic ("Class Complient") drivers (no extra driver installation).

You can do exactly what you are looking to do by buying a pair of TRS/RCA jacks and plugging them into the Analog Out (1/2) on the back of the Pro (next to the balanced XLR sockets, in a vertical configuration). Now you have unbalanced RCA analogue output which can be connected to the analogue input RCA sockets on the Rega.

You could use the Phones (1/2) socket on the front with a TRS/dual RCA 'Y splitter', but there isn't any real point is you do as suggested above.

You would use the Phones (3/4) TRS socket on the front for headphone listening - it can be customised independently of the Phones (1/2) and Analogue Out (1/2).

Once you have this working you might want to consider which volume control (ADI or Rega) to use. If you just want to use the ADI Pro as a DAC you can fix the output level of the (1/2) Out on the back of the ADI Pro so that the volume control is handled by the Rega, or you might be able to use the Rega as simply a power amp, but I'm not sure if the Rega supports that.

What you are trying to do is straightforward and completely supported.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL