Topic: MADIface XT USB 3

Can the USB 3 port on a MADIface XT be split and used on more than one MAC Mini

Re: MADIface XT USB 3

No. In Theory you could use a USB switcher to change between the 2 computers, but basically only one computer can be connected to any sound card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Like Jeff said, that's already a restriction on USB level, the USB standard requires exactly one host (e.g. a Mac/PC) controlling/polling all individual USB gadgets. So even if you are using USB hubs, USB repeaters, etc. it is still a star-topography overall with exactly one device being the USB host.

Not sure what you are about to do, but maybe there other things that you might want to consider as well, for instance there are USB over IP solutions to make USB devices available for multiple computers, probably spread over certain physical distances. The main restriction remains though: a USB device (a.k.a USB gadget)  can only be used by one computer (a.k.a. USB host) at a time, not simultaniously.

thanks for the replies. I have another question similar to this topic.

If i am connecting via Thunderbolt 3 can i connect a HDSPe MADI FX card (using a thunderbolt enclosure) to two Mac Minis?

If necessary i will only use TotalMix FX on the first Mac.

No way, any sound card can only be used by 1 host computer. You could put another MADI interface (MADIface USB for instance) on the 2nd computer and route audio via TotalMix and connect MADI from Mac Mini 1 (MADI FX) to Mac Mini 2 (MADIface).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks. that is what i expected.

Can anyone suggest a solution to my work flow.

I am using a RME M32 ad and a RME M32 da along with a Ferrofish a32 to create a MADI 64 channel conversion.

I am sending this I/O to a RME MADIFace XT which converts the output to a USB 3 which then goes to my MAC. I also send a MADI I/O from the MADIface XT to  another MAC that uses a RME HDSPe MADI FX card. this is working well but now i have to send this same I/O to two more Macs which will act as back up to the first to.

I am trying to figure the best way to do that.

Oh and to add to this problem i have to add more inputs to the system (above 64)

8 (edited by ramses 2020-07-23 15:09:36)

From my understanding of MADI you can add a few more PC to one MADI bus to get audio from the 64ch of this bus.
But I might be wrong, to be confirmed by RME.

My understanding
- MADI Recording interface1 --- MADI BUS1 ---> device 1 -> ... - device 8 -> 
   ^                                                                                                  |
    |                                                                                                  |
  Other MADI recording interface(s) <------------------------------------+

My understanding is, that every MADI capable device can map MADI channels to its inputs or outputs
or alternatively simply read audio from those 64 channels of a MADI bus.

The only thing which you would get adding more MADI recording interfaces to the bus is,
that the latency compensation might be impacted a little, as each device more adds a few samples
of latency when forwarding the audio samples from its MADI input to its MADI output.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You could add a MADI Router to work as a MADI distributor, this has 4x MADI coax I/O and 4x MADI optical I/O built in. You can take 1 input and send to all 8 outputs.

https://www.rme-audio.com/madi-router.html

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.