Topic: Same question as before. Same answer?

Ok, I am a new member and have spent 3 hours searching the forum for an answer to my question. I found it was answered 2x but the answer is hard for me to believe (because I don’t know how the unit is designed) so I am going to ask again just in case i misunderstood the question/answer. I apologize up front for doing this but I don’t want to plunk down $2k for a new ADI-2 pro FS black edition, if the unit doesn’t have the capability to do one or two of the major functions I need. 

I currently have a a sonore microrendu streaming my FLAC and DSF native files from my NAS server to a chord DAC vis usb which converts to analog and fees my preamp. It works very well but I would love to have the ability to contour the sound via an equalizer.  I believe the ADI-2 would allow me to do that except, if I understand correctly, not when converting dsd direct. If what I read is correct, the equalization and sound levels become fixed.

This is hard to believe. Not so much maybe for the equalization but definitely for the volume.  Is this correct, volume cannot be adjusted? So the ADI-1 could not be used as a preamp in my usage (with dsd direct streaming) scenario bur only a pre-preamp? I would need another preamp to adjust the volume going to the amps?

Is this a dsp computing power issue? If so I can see why adding more requirements from frequency adjusting could overwhelm a maxed out processor but volume control?

Just trying to fully understand before I commit to a purchase. I like the specs, its functionality, look and flexibility it would provide my system but without tone or volume control it is just something to admire from afar I guess.

Thanks and again, apologize for the repetitious question.

Re: Same question as before. Same answer?

From the ADI-2 Pro manual:

19.2 DSD Direct (Playback only)
To be able to digitally adjust the volume, DSD data must be converted to PCM. This is done
automatically within the DA converter chips. In DSD Direct mode there is no PCM conversion –
and consequently no volume control anymore.
After having activated DSD Direct in the ADI-2
Pro’s menu (SETUP - Options), channels 1/2 use this mode when a DSD signal is received.
The analog signal is then available at the rear outputs, with a coarse volume control via the
analog output reference level control. Outputs PH 1/2 are deactivated. Outputs PH 3/4 stay in
normal DSD mode and have the standard volume control available.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks for yoru post. I read this but it is still not clear. I guess i am dense.
The highlighted section leads me to believe there is no volume controls using dsd direct
"In DSD Direct mode there is no PCM conversion – and consequently no volume control anymore"
But later on in that same paragraph it says there is std volume control on outputs ph 3/4. This is the reason for my confusion. Seems those two sentences are conflicting.

Because i am using USB interface, in section 19.3 it states
"Note: A DSD playback via USB is only supported on playback channels 1/2."

is it safe to conclude that since i am using USB, and usb is only supported on channels 1/2 but channels 1/2 (per section 19.2) have no volume control when in dsd direct mode that there is, therefore, no volume control with my planned usage? if not, how do adjust the volume if this is being used as a preamp? The only conclusion i can draw is this cannot be used as a preamp with the way i am currently wanting to use it.

What about tone controls? neither section addresses them?

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-25 12:28:07)

DSD cannot be digitally processed in any way, e.g. EQ or level changes.
It has to be converted to PCM or analog before.

ADI-2 Pro does NOT have a continous analog level control, only 4 coarse steps in the analog domain by switching Reference Level.

All other of ADI-2's processing is done in the digital domain, same for output 1/2 and 3/4.

If you don't use DSD Direct, just "DSD", volume control works as usual, but:
ADI-2 Pro, instead of it's internal DSP, uses the DAC chip's built in PCM Volume Control then.
All DSP functions like EQ are disabled.

If you want to use DSD Direct the small Passive Mackie Big Knob would be the best solution:
https://mackie.com/products/big-knob-se … interfaces

Manual page 44, 45 explains the situation.

dogface wrote:

I read this but it is still not clear. I guess i am dense.
The highlighted section leads me to believe there is no volume controls using dsd direct
"In DSD Direct mode there is no PCM conversion – and consequently no volume control anymore"
But later on in that same paragraph it says there is std volume control on outputs ph 3/4. This is the reason for my confusion. Seems those two sentences are conflicting.

Not at all. As also explained in the manual the Phones Output 3/4 does not support DSD Direct, so volume control is possible via the DAC's internal circuit. DSP is still off because of DSD.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks to all who responded and cleared it up
Much appreciated