Topic: Which Audio Streamer to partner with ADI 2 DAC?

Hi, I am new to RME, but I am considering an ADI 2 DAC to feed my current power amp. I wondered what streamers people successfully use with the ADI 2 DAC?

I would like to access music files from a NAS and also from Tidal, possibly Roon in future.

My stereo is used by my family and I would like to avoid using a laptop, so a purpose-made solution which can be controlled from an iPad would be great. 

I would appreciate your ideas. I have heard good things about the ADI 2 and I am looking forward to trying this out.

Re: Which Audio Streamer to partner with ADI 2 DAC?

If you are happy to do a little setup yourself then I'd suggest what I use which is a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4G RAM, connected to ADI Pro or DAC using USB. Including PSU, case, SD card and computer it's about 75 GBP. You can use whatever you want as regards software but I use Rune which is free open source, and the Linn Kazoo iPhone app which is also free.

This passes the 'bit-perfect test' so you cannot get any better.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

3 (edited by ramses 2020-06-30 19:18:53)

Or use a PC or laptop with RME audio interface like the Digiface USB: https://www.rme-audio.de/de_digiface-usb.html

Then you even have the infrastructure to rip audio CDs with Exact Audio Copy. Between such a RME recording interface and the ADI-2 DAC you will have an optical TOSLINK cable (galvanic isolation!) which can be up to 10m long according to the standard, but I also use 15m without any issue in my setup up to 192 kHz and additionally a 4:1 TOSLINK switcher in front of the ADI-2 DAC to be able to connect and switch between up to 4 sources: TV, BluRay Player, PC and one free for future demand.
You only need to check whether those support 192 kHz if you require this, usually they support only up to 96 kHz (which is fully sufficient). simply depends whether you have such HiRes content up to 192 kHz or not.

My setup changed a little bit in terms of devices, but basically its this: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … her-EN-DE/

Only got an Oppo BlueRay Player and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE instead
and the Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 has been modified to support 192 kHz, because the device didn't support this as advertized ...
But this is another story: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … lerangabe/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Main system: dCS network bridge
Headphone setup: Primare NP5

5 (edited by m1k3 2020-07-01 02:48:37)

I love my setup:
— LUMIN U1 Mini streamer into ADI-2 DAC via USB.
— Oppo 205 digital out into DAC via Coax
— TV optical out into DAC’s Toslink for some stereo audio (e.g., headphone listening of TV); multichannel is handled by another system.

The LUMIN U1 Mini has a great iPad app in my opinion (some don’t like it) but the firmware and apps are well supported and upgraded often. The app supports TIDAL and Qobuz streaming with built in API support, as well as multi-protocol support for accessing media through your network/NAS/USB-attached storage, etc.

The hardware supports DLNA/UPnP (with Open Home extensions) and generic UPnP if you want to use another controller like mconnect on iOS, or BubbleUPnP on android. It is a certified Roon endpoint. And supports Apple Airplay (1, not 2). It’s $2000US.

For 1/4 that price, the Bluesound Node 2i is a good streamer too. I had one for almost a year, but I didn’t like their software (or support) as much as the LUMIN so I sold it. I’ve had the LUMIN for 10 months without one single glitch or problem. Qobuz and TIDAL sounds awesome through it to the RME ADI-2 DAC into my headphones and IEMs, and studio monitors.

Edit:
I should add that no LUMIN products support WiFi (the Bluesound hardware does though) if that’s a requirement for you.

Mac Mini with Qobuz Streaming Service (Ultimate edition), Audirvana 3.5 (included the Qobuz Streaming). The Mac Mini is linked via usb to RME Adi 2 DAC. Audirvana upsamples every music file to DSD64.
The Mac Mini is via HDMI to Television Monitor. the output of the Adi Dac via separate preamplifier to Amplifier and then to loudspeakers (PMC Twenty). Never had better sound! When I want critical listening I use AKG 712 headphone that is plugged into the preamplifier (Thomas Funk LAP-2.V3 preamplifier).
Happy listening, Syrinx

Thank you for the ideas all, some I had not thought of, like Lumin U1 mini and Mac Mini. The DCS network bridge and NP5 were known to me with the DCS product a bit outside of my budget. I need to check out the Lumin product as I have no experience of its user interface. The interface is important to me and it needs to be simple and intuitive.

Having tried an Rpi 3 + allo digi I am a little reluctant to rely on a 'computer based solution'. I wonder if the apple mini can be set up as headless relying on remote control via an iPad? Your thoughts on that option would be welcome.

My current setup is also using Lumin U1 mini with the ADI-2 FS. I had been using this combo for 4 months, so far I found very impressed on the sound quality. Only at the beginning I am unsure on how to set the proper dbU and DAC volume. But now things are all settled and the U1 mini now has the Leedhing processing which make the music even sound more analogue. Go have a look or do an audition at the dealer if they have demo there.

mg wrote:

Mac Mini with Qobuz Streaming Service (Ultimate edition), Audirvana 3.5 (included the Qobuz Streaming). The Mac Mini is linked via usb to RME Adi 2 DAC. Audirvana upsamples every music file to DSD64.
The Mac Mini is via HDMI to Television Monitor. the output of the Adi Dac via separate preamplifier to Amplifier and then to loudspeakers (PMC Twenty). Never had better sound! When I want critical listening I use AKG 712 headphone that is plugged into the preamplifier (Thomas Funk LAP-2.V3 preamplifier).
Happy listening, Syrinx

Hi mg, I have questions on regarding Audirvana 3.5. Have you ever compare Audirvana with Roon? I am still hesitating on which one should I join? Both have the capability to do upsampling, but one thing I’m not sure is does the database collection layout of Audirvana is as user friendly as Roon? I had play around the Roon at my friend place and find so user friendly when finding the songs from the collections. Hope you can share some feedbacks from a user perspective. Thanks

> both have the capability to do upsampling

For what purpose ? Upsampling doesn't increase quality.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

https://www.cocktailaudio.de/cocktailaudio-x50d/

This is my setup at the moment:

NAS QNAP TS-251B running QLogitech Media Server => Squeezebox Touch => ADI-2 DAC.

Unfortunately Squeezebox is discontinued but still very good support from https://forums.slimdevices.com/
and there are quite often used SB Touch for sale.

You can also build a Squeezebox clone from a RPI.

Squeezebox Touch => RME ADI-2 DAC FS => Nord One MP NC252 => System Audio Ranger Master

I use NODE 2i and I am very happy with my choice.
https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/

I use bluesound node 2i. too..Love the BlusOs app on my android phone and iPad ..

15 (edited by Roog 2020-07-16 22:22:03)

I plucked up the courage to try picoreplayer and Logitech Media Player loaded on my Rpi, motivated by a YouTube presentation.

It took me a day and a half of anguish, trying to find solutions to problems due to I’ll defined instructions, but yes it works and the squeeze box interface isn’t bad, it just isn’t that great either! Plus I have yet to get it to read my music stored on my NAS, and have found no assistance on line which helps, so Whilst others my get on with it, it’s not a realistic streaming solution for Me. Interesting diversion though.

Hi Roog!

I'm still hopelessly addicted to my antique SB Touch (w/EDO Sftwr).  Connected to my ADI-2DAC via USB.. or Coax or TOS...

It's Bit Perfect, and has made me happy for more than 10yrs in various applications.  It just works!  smile

Have Fun!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I started with USB directly from computer, then added a RPi4, upgraded to an used microRendu, then upgraded the microRendu with a Crystek femto clock (€10), then added an opticalModule (fiber from switch) connected to the microRendu with a homemade very short ethernet cable.

Every upgrade has made an increase in transparency and sound quality.

Hello! I use it with Allo Usbridge Signature with Volumio OS installed, which is connected via ethernet to the local network. The sound is superb, most of the time,  but since last night I started to hear some cracking sound every once in a while, especially with hi-res tracks from Tidal master. I will look into it and let you know if I find a solution.

Curt962 wrote:

Hi Roog!

I'm still hopelessly addicted to my antique SB Touch (w/EDO Sftwr).  Connected to my ADI-2DAC via USB.. or Coax or TOS...

It's Bit Perfect, and has made me happy for more than 10yrs in various applications.  It just works!  smile

Have Fun!

Curt

Actually, Curt, I have been tempted to buy a used SB touch from Ebay, I would expect it to be a little more user friendly than my Rpi, it may yet happen.

20 (edited by Curt962 2020-07-18 04:15:56)

Hi Roog!

I bought a "spare" SBT from Ebay.  It worked out well.

On the "User Friendly" matter...

The Squeezebox Devices were amazing.  The Grandfathers of Streaming!   

They simply weren't "Plug n Play" enough to satisfy the Target Consumer...who NEEDS an Idiot-Proof device. smile   Logitech lost hope in Idiot-Proofing, as we simply created more advanced Idiots!  Hard to stay ahead of them!!  smile

Give it a whirl!!  You can do it!!

The SBT is a Gem.  Works beautifully with RME.

Curt

Rasberry pi, allo digione sig, shanti power supply, roon

Extremely happy with the sound. Couldn’t ask for more.

22 (edited by tcr 2020-09-04 22:55:29)

Hi folks,

This thread prompted me to ask about something I've been mulling over, as tweaked/improved Raspberry Pi's came up.

I've just bought the ADI-2 DAC FS, and it's a fantastic device. I also use the Babyface Pro as the heart of my home studio, so I expected the ADI-2 to be fantastic. It's even better than I thought it would be.

I acquired the ADI-2 to be the basis of a streaming hifi system. A big reason was the attraction of the Bit Test diagnostic, as I thought to use it so I can validate the entire chain reaching the DAC, back to the RME-supplied bit test files.

I've been looking at a streaming partner for the ADI-2, which will be based around a new Raspberry Pi (as I use various Pi's for other things too). I did look at some vendors who have designs that provide noise-cleaned USB outputs, clean/dirty side splits, re-clocking, and also sell linear power supplies.

I planned to go for an ordinary Raspberry Pi 4 (USB connected to DAC) with Volumio as I figured it should pass the RME bit test diagnostics fine, and I could look for a fault if it didn't. That doesn't align with comments I've read about upgrades on the Pi bringing greater detail and transparency.

I'd be grateful for any perspectives, and hope this isn't contentious. Meant as a genuine question....
Thanks.

23 (edited by Curt962 2020-09-05 02:53:00)

Hi TCR!

I love Streamers.  They're a Window on the World, and I can't imagine how we survived in the past without them.

The RasPi is a Hobbyist's Dream, and I see no valid reason for you to change.  If you can pass the RME Bit Test, you're Golden!

As for tweaks resulting in all sorts of Magical Audio "stuff"...I say "Caveat Emptor"   There is NO such thing as a "Transparency" nor a "Resolution" Bit. smile

The RME bit test looks at facts only.  When the received data matches the internal template exactly, you are assured of an unaltered signal path. Period!  Understand please, what this Bit Test means.  Passing the Test means your new RME is reproducing EXACTLY what was encoded on your hard drive.  For better, or worse, This applies to your entire Music collection.  Every Rip, Every Download...Bit Perfect.  There is no more to be gained.  If the Source Material was a Mess...oh well.

Pass or Fail.  No Gray Areas.

Run the Pi!!

Best Regards,

Curt

24 (edited by rpgroman 2020-09-05 06:46:12)

This is a timely subject for me.  I've got an RPI4 kit on order which will be delivered Tuesday.  To date, I've been using an ultraRendu running Squeezelite, connected via ethernet to a small computer running Logitech Media Server (all music files stored on its internal HD).  I use iPeng as the user interface.  The uRendu is connected to the ADI-2 DAC via USB.

I've actually been quite pleased with how this has all been functioning but, lately, some software updates have rendered the ultraRendu unstable.  By that, I mean that when I put the ADI-2 Dac in standby, the connection been the uRendu and ADI-2 is lost and, in the process, seems to crash the uRendu's webserver rendering the web GUI unusable.  The only way to recover is to pull power on the uRendu and reboot.  I sometimes have to do this two or three times for it to "take".  Up until now, this rarely occured.

So, I decided to do an inexpensive experiment to see if I can replace the uRendu with the RPI4 running PiCore/Squeezelite and, with more ability to configure certain aspects of Squeezelite, I'm hoping to get more stability without sacrificing any sound quality. If so, I'll attempt to sell the uRendu.

I'm quite certain that if I can jump through all the hoops to get the RPI4 system up and running and talking to both the server and the ADI-2, and have the user interface still controllable via iPeng, that the RPI4 will perform it's streamer/player function every bit as well as the uRendu.  I'm no techie, but I am persistent and I suspect the process will be frustrating and, hopefully, ultimately successful!!  Will keep you posted.

Hi,
Hope it all goes smoothly and you get the results you're looking for.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Curt... That's what I suspected and your post is really reassuring. I've now got the RME bit test files, and I'm looking forward to using them for validation with USB from a Pi, and also maybe Toslink routes from other sources. I'm thinking of running a second Pi into the ADI-2 via spdif, so can source select between one running Volumio and the other running Kodi for TV programmes and films from a NAS.

Thanks again,
Tim

Hi,

I use an RPi 4 4Gb RAM as a streamer using Rune software, connected via USB to ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. This accesses a Minimserver via UPNP running on a RPi 2 1 Gb which has a big USB disk attached. These 2 Pis are both connected to an Ethernet switch using wired cabling. The streamer is controlled using Linn Kazoo as a UPNP control point.

This setup passes all the RME 'bit perfect' tests and is very inexpensive. Although it does not look as nice as a shiny box, it is so much cheaper, works perfectly, and sounds brilliant. I am using a Amazon basics USB cable. Although it may not look nice, the boxes are so small and unobtrusive that they can be hidden so you do not even see them at all.

The use of wired cabling and the switch is important as it avoid network-related problems like drop-outs etc.

I used to us a Naim NDX as streamer/DAC at one time, but sold it on in favour of this RME/RPi solution. We all know the difference in cost.

I would strongly recommend the Rpi approach with your RME.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

27 (edited by bejoro 2020-09-05 09:36:49)

Also here, Raspberry Pi 4 works like a charm.

Recommended case:

https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-raspb … -case.html

Perfect cooling (silent) , on/off switch, expansion slot easily accessible, power led at the front visible.

I deactivated the fan and performed a CPU/GPU stress test for 90 minutes, no problem.
The CPU/GPU temperature stayed below 70 degrees Celsius, which is perfect. I reactivated the fan and set the fan profile at 70 degrees Celsius, so the fan never starts, unless the environment would be critical (extremely high room temperature).

But the Argon One case does not power up automatically after a power loss. That's fine for audio usage but maybe not wanted with server applications. For these use case the Argon Neo is perfect.

https://www.argon40.com/argon-neo-raspb … -case.html

Passive cooling (no fan), no power switch.

You Guys are killing me...

I SO Love my Trusty SBTs, but the RPI is just TOO cool!

There's an Audio Blogger (Archimago?) who not so long ago posted some pics of an Über Sexy RPI project.  Not the typical basement project, but rather a very refined looking device!!!   I want that!!

Thanks Tim...now I'm thinking of spending money...  smile:)

Best to All!

Curt

29 (edited by rpgroman 2020-09-10 00:24:29)

Got my RPI4 B today.  It's tiny!!!  In case anybody's curious, since I'm running LMS and have my music files on a separate device, I took a guess and figured the 2gb Pi was going to be sufficient to act as a stand-alone streamer.  So far, no problems, dropouts, odd clicks, etc.

I'd already flashed piCorePlayer to an SD card.  The whole setup, including assembling the case and installing heat sinks on the CPU and USB controller, took under 20 minutes.  Per instructions, I applied power w/USB and ethernet hooked up, and LMS saw it instantly.  Got the pi's IP address, went to the web interface, configured Squeezelite, configured player settings in LMS, and done.  Music's playing via the ADI-2 Dac, sounds perfectly fine, and I'm a pretty happy camper.  Was far easier than I'd feared!  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this as a streamer solution to just about anybody.

I do have a semi-related question regarding the USB outputs of the pi4.  The pi4 has two USB 2.0 ports and two USB 3.0 ports.  Right now I have the pi4 connected to the ADI-2 via one of the USB 2.0 ports, since I know that works fine.

I have read the the ADI-2 DAC is compatible with USB 3.0.  But, as the ADI sees it, is there any throughput speed advantage to using the Pi's USB 3.0 port vs. the USB 2.0 port?

31 (edited by ramses 2020-09-10 07:20:38)

> I have read the the ADI-2 DAC is compatible with USB 3.0.  But, as the ADI sees it,
> is there any throughput speed advantage to using the Pi's USB 3.0 port vs. the USB 2.0 port?

No, because the ADI-2 DAC has an USB 2.0 port and pi4's USB 3.0 ports operates at / uses the pinout for USB 2.0 in the plug.

32 (edited by bejoro 2020-09-10 12:34:17)

ramses wrote:

> I have read the the ADI-2 DAC is compatible with USB 3.0.  But, as the ADI sees it,
> is there any throughput speed advantage to using the Pi's USB 3.0 port vs. the USB 2.0 port?

No, because the ADI-2 DAC has an USB 2.0 port and pi4's USB 3.0 ports operates at / uses the pinout for USB 2.0 in the plug.

The RPi 4 has "real" USB 3.0 ports.

There is a fix, if you get low USB 3.0 performance:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view … p;t=245931

It is possible that meanwhile this fix was already integrated into Raspbian OS.

Edit:
The micro USB plug, usually used for the power supply, can also be used as an USB port.
This port is USB 2.0 only.

I understood the question this way ...

The question was related to "when connecting the ADI-2 DAC to the Pi", see his post #30.

There is no difference whether you connect the ADI-2 DAC to the Pi's USB 2 or USB 3 port.
When connecting to the USB3 port of the Pi you will only get USB2 not more.

ramses wrote:

> No, because the ADI-2 DAC has an USB 2.0 port and pi4's USB 3.0 ports operates at / uses the pinout for USB 2.0 in the plug.

ramses wrote:

There is no difference whether you connect the ADI-2 DAC to the Pi's USB 2 or USB 3 port.

Sorry, I misunderstood your answer. I thought you claimed that the RPi 4 USB 3.0 ports were only USB 2, which would be wrong. Now it is clear, thanks.

All good, thanks.

ramses wrote:

I understood the question this way ...

The question was related to "when connecting the ADI-2 DAC to the Pi", see his post #30.

Thank you Ramses.  That's kind of what I thought, but I appreciate you confirming that the ADI-2 DAC can only "see" USB 2.0 data transfer speeds even though it's connected to a 3.0 port. 

I will leave the ADI-2 connected to the 2.0 port and keep the 3.0 ports open for other potential uses.....

To clarify this more: the ADI-2 does not only see USB 2 speed, it is in fact connected to a USB 2 port. USB 3 includes USB 2 on separate pins of the connector. It's totally separated from USB 3.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

To clarify this more: the ADI-2 does not only see USB 2 speed, it is in fact connected to a USB 2 port. USB 3 includes USB 2 on separate pins of the connector. It's totally separated from USB 3.

Thanks, MC.  Interesting....I did not know this.  Explains why the dac is described as compatible with USB 3.

Further question for MC:

Using Picoreplayer/Squeezelite via USB to connect to the ADI-2 Dac.  When configuring Squeezelite,
it asks the user to specify the name of the output device.  I get the following list.  I'm assuming that "DAC51892395" is the ADI-2.  Is there one of these options that is recommended over the others???

null
plugequal
equal
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
sysdefault:CARD=DAC51892395
front:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
surround21:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
surround40:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
surround41:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
surround50:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
surround51:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
surround71:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
iec958:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
hw:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0
plughw:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0

Thanks.

Sorry, no Pi stuff here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's been a very long time since I used picore/squeezelite.

Yes DAC51892395,DEV=0 is your ADI-2 DAC (for ADI-2 PRO it would be PRO...).

I would try the direct ALSA hardware interfaces:

or one of these:

Run the RME bit test files (see user manual, bit test) to ensure bit perfect playback.

I also got a pi3 that I had laying around, bought a justboom digihat which just has digital outputs ideal to connect to RME ADI-2 DAC  and installed picoreplayer. (used the optical output).

picoreplayer detected the hat inmediatly after booting and it also can easily mounts external NFS filesystem where my digital library is, along with tidal subscription to LMS... all I needed and cheaper than getting a dedicated streamer. It's my recomendation.

bejoro wrote:

It's been a very long time since I used picore/squeezelite.

Yes DAC51892395,DEV=0 is your ADI-2 DAC (for ADI-2 PRO it would be PRO...).

I would try the direct ALSA hardware interfaces:

or one of these:

Run the RME bit test files (see user manual, bit test) to ensure bit perfect playback.

Thank you, bejoro.  I just found this....thread:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthre … cted/page2

This is a problem I occasionally experienced with my old streamer when putting the ADI-2 Dac into standby mode.  But, its output device was not configurable in its UI, therefore I could not experiment with different configurations as I can with piCoreplayer.

Has anyone experienced this issue or used front:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0 as the output device as the solution?

If front:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0 works for your setup and the RME bit test passes it will be fine and you should use this solution.

I never disconnect my ADI-2 PRO from my Pi4 and I am using my own configuration (mpd/upmpdcli). Sorry, no experiences in this regard.

Is there any quickguide for dummies using a p4?

What do i need?

Case
https://www.amazon.de/GeeekPi-Aluminium … G17RS109YQ

Pi
https://www.amazon.de/Raspberry-Pi-ARM- … G17RS109YQ

Or is a different system better?

Which image?
What do i need additional?

Thank you
If there is a great overview link - this would be great.
I just want to use it for listening to music.

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

You need,

a) Raspberry Pi4 - this link is to a 4GB RAM model but you can in fact use a 1GB model. It has all the hardware you need for the Pi4.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pi-Hut-Raspber … 5654896618

b) I suggest Rune Audio software (it's free) - https://www.runeaudio.com/ you need the recent r5 image at,
https://cloud.s-t-franz.de/s/LTibQMTN7aAffrn/download - this link is the one on the Rune forum.

This a complete system image that you copy onto the micro SD card in the kit in (a). You need to do this using a tool such as dd in Linux, there are Windows tools available too to create the bootable disk.

c) You will need to have your music on a UPNP server such as a NAS or other server. This, and the RPi in (a) need to be on the same LAN, connected to same router (preferably wired ethernet, but wifi will work too) or Ethernet switch.

d) You will need a UPNP control point. Linn Kazoo (it's free) works well on iPhone/iPad. If you use a Linux desktop then I recommend upplay. It's free open source and included in the Ubuntu distribution.

e) When you start the RPi in (a) using Rune, you need to enable the RME DAC (or Pro) as the output audio device, and enable UPNP as the renderer in the MPD setup screen.

You can then enjoy your music at a tiny cost, knowing that the bit-perfect tests have been passed.

47 (edited by rpgroman 2020-09-13 23:00:59)

bejoro wrote:

If front:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0 works for your setup and the RME bit test passes it will be fine and you should use this solution.

I never disconnect my ADI-2 PRO from my Pi4 and I am using my own configuration (mpd/upmpdcli). Sorry, no experiences in this regard.

The ADI-2 DAC passes the bit tests without any problem in the front:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0 output device configuration.  And, just to be clear, I don't disconnect the ADI-2 DAC from the pi/USB connection.....all I've ever done is just put the DAC into standby mode. 

I will say that, with the front:CARD=DAC51892395,DEV=0 config, the USB connection between the RPi and the ADI-2 DAC has held steady for more than 48 hours---through several cycles of playing music--->putting the ADI-2 DAC into standby--->playing music, etc...  I'll see how it goes over a much longer time frame.   Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for your detailed feedback. Good to know that it works flawlessly that way.
Have fun, it is a great setup.

49 (edited by maartenl 2020-09-14 11:17:39)

Hw: RPi-zero-w, Justboom Digi Zero pHat
Sw: mpd, MinimServer en upmpdcli (upnp renderer)

Control Point (Android): BubbleDS (better than Linn Kazoo).

- Very cheap solution and environmentally friendly, i.e. very low energy consumption;
- Versatile (works with all upnp/ open home control point);
- 100% bit perfect (when mpd is configured rightly, e.g. disable re-sampling in mpd.conf);
- Radio stations with metadata and album art (Upmpdcli supports internet radio stations (configurable through config file) and supports python scripts to obtain meta data including album art (Open Home compliant control point required: BubbleDS or Linn Kazoo, I now have made working scripts for Radio Paradise (flac), Dutch NPO radio stations and Radio France radio stations (France Inter, France info, France Culturelle, France Bleu, France Musique, Fip and Mouv').

50 (edited by Viennacalling 2020-09-14 10:25:44)

Great - thanks for feedback. :-)

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs